“Enjoyable”

Litlington tea gardens
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Litlington
Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

This was my husband and mine's first visit and it will definately not be the last,we had a lovely lunch and the tasty apple pie for pudding and it was very enjoyable also the two lovely members of staff were very welcoming and friendly can't wait for our next visit

Reviewed 27 September 2015

Much the same as has been said by other dissatisfied customers. Food mediocre and over priced but a great venue. The former greatly outweighs the latter IMO. Ptrepare to be disappointed should you visit this place.
Final nail ( I have bee to this tea room four times this Summer) was when I visited at the w/e with wife and a friend. Friend's Tuna and sweetcorn baked potato was just that i.e out of two tins with no mayo. Not that nice! The potato had evidently been cooked a LONG time before serving and was translucent with a tough skin. Half of the meal was left.
When asked by a lovely member of staff if everything was OK with the meal I told her that the potato was "not too clever" her young friend stepped in at this point. My assumption as that this was to be a constructive conversation. Not so. Instead she went on the offensive telling me that no one else had complained that day about the potatoes (well that must mean I am deluded, then?). When I asked whether this was how they routinely deal with customer feedback she snorted and walked off. Poor show.
On the plus side the table waiting staff were pleasant though the order was not complete (no tap water. Again). They received a tip which was gratefully received.
My impression is of a tea room whose owners are looking to make as big a margin as they can get away with through the food quality and quantity and employing staff on minimum wage. I think that this is one of those concerns that has such low standards and poor reaction to feedback because they are sitting on a gold mine and don't really care if they do not get return custom as they know that they are going to get enough new passing trade each year. Sadly, my advice would be to give it a swerve and go somewhere where they do not seem to just want customers to pay through the nose to receive a poor standard, take their food and leave without complaint.

7  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 9 September 2015

I ate lunch here recently. My cheese and tomato sandwich was tasteless. The slice of coffee cake was small. We were bombarded by wasps. This is a problem every year at Litlington Tea Gardens and nothing is ever done about trying to solve the issue. We ate our lunch as quickly as possible and had to leave because of the wasp infestation. We mentioned the wasp problem to the staff, who just laughed. Clearly nothing is going to be done.

Sadly I can no longer recommend this place for a meal, unless you visit outside wasp season.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

We had not been here for years. The experience left much to be desired. The food was bland and seriously over-priced. Critically, there appeared to be no one in overall charge and without wanting to seem too churlish there was an issue with wasps. I remember the place 'buzzing' (groan) with life but today the garden seemed lifeless. As an aside, the nursery was the horticultural equivalent of a near-death experience. What a shame - I doubt the Victorians would recognise it.

1  Thank EastbourneFilmnoir
Reviewed 6 September 2015

this lovely setting had a great reputation, but I shan't be returning some time soon. where do I start. I know September is the last of the season, but the tables were dreadful, peeling varnish, broken. Tea service: dull unloved teapots and cups. Bright period pieces and doyleys please. Waitressess used to be wearing period frilly pinnies, not dishevelled students in plimsoles and leggings. We must have waited near on an hour and then, part order was wrong. The scones did appear fresh and hot. yes the wasps were a nuisance. saying sorry we are busy, is no excuse, which was not even half full. please pull your socks up and take note of your reviews. This place would be worth saving. This was meant to be a treat for my grandparents, but it was an embarrassment.

2  Thank Jaxjaxh