“Incredible Cabins and Views”

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Lodge at Mount Magazine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paris
Dallas, Texas
“Incredible Cabins and Views”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

This was the second time I have stayed at the Lodge at Mount Magazine and I would definitely go back again. The first time my son and I stayed in one of the rooms and they were incredibly well appointed and very comfortable. Unfortunately we were socked in with the clouds so we couldn't enjoy the views or outdoor activities but I was impressed with the Lodge itself. In 2010 it still looks brand new. The second trip my wife and I stayed in one of the cabins and really enjoyed the experience. The furnishings and the fit and finish of the cabin were outstanding. The view was unmatched and there is nothing better than relaxing at the end of a long day in the hot tub overlooking the Arkansas river valley. As some people have mentioned, the food is not 4 star at the lodge and the service is best effort for a State Park run facility but neither of these would stop me from highly recommending this place for people who want to relax, enjoy the outdoors, and spend time with a good book unwinding. I would recommend staying in cabins 5 and up if you want that complete silence as there is some minor generator noise from the Lodge in Cabins 1-4.

1 Thank TrueTexas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We recently stayed here for our anniversary and it was just heavenly!! The Lodge is beautiful and every inch has spectacular views!! They really took advantage of God's beauty that abounds in the area!! We found in walking around the Lodge that the builders also paid special attention to the guests comfort. The swimming area is located away from all rooms, all mechanical and electrical rooms are located away from rooms as well. Most of these are on the lowest level but the few that are on the same floor as rooms they chose to place on the wall opposite all rooms. We found the service to be excellent. Everyone was very polite, courteous, prompt and provided great attention to detail. In reading the reviews i was a bit concerned about the food quality so we stopped and bought lots of snacks. We didn't open one snack!!!! The night we arrived there was a huge surf & turf buffet that was terrific!! My husband had breakfast the next morning and it was equally as good. I chose to skip breakfast b/c i was still so full from supper!! The dining hall is beautiful and it is so relaxing to eat your meal next to the huge windows that overlook the bluffs!! There are many hiking trails, a visitor center and lots of time to enjoy God's beautiful creation. We will definitely be going back and stay longer just to enjoy the serenity and peace the Lodge offers!!

Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We live in Hot Springs, AR and I was looking for a place to surprise my better half for a weekend getaway.
I selected and booked a room at the Lodge at Mt. Magazine. We were blown away with the beauty, the history, and the rooms. It was an amazing trip and we will definitly go back. The breakfast buffet was not as good as it could have been, but other than that, it was perfect. I was told to request the third floor next time because thos rooms have vaulted ceilings...

2 Thank ttphipps
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I stayed at the Lodge not to long ago with my cousin and my grandmother... And we had a magnificent stay! The scenery was gorgeous, the rooms where beautiful and well taken care of. The Skycrest's breakfast superb! The pool was clean and refreshing. A major plus in my book. The rooms were affordable, and the staff was helpful and nice. I very much look forward to my next stay at the Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank EMsaurusrex
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Our main purpose in selecting Mt. Magazine Lodge was a to experience a quiet, relaxing getaway in a beautiful setting to celebrate my husband's birthday. The lodge is perched upon the highest point in Arkansas with a sweeping view of a magnificent valley. Every room enjoys this view, as does the restaurant. There are excellent hiking trails nearby as well as rock climbing and hang gliding. This is where the accolades end. I suspect that a lot of what the difficulty is with the running of the lodge is the fact that it is operated by the state (it is located in the Mount Magazine State Park) rather than an invested private entity. Most astonishing is the food which is abysmal. I can't remember when I had worse meals. I actually went to bed hungry which has NEVER happened to me on vacation! Additionally, you must join the lodge "club" in order to have wine or beer. The wine offered is only local Arkansas wine and if you care at all, it, too is awful. We had brought our own wine from home as we particularly enjoy a good bottle, but were not allowed to bring it to dinner (we of course expected a corkage fee but it made no difference). Finally, the service was immature and often clueless. The staff in the dining room had little or no knowledge of the menu and the kitchen was completely incapable of accommodating requests (ie: asked if they could possibly whip up some scrambled eggs for dinner in lieu of something off of the set menu and they said they can only make eggs for breakfast). On to the rooms which are ordinary but very well appointed, clean and again have magnificent views. Unfortunately the heating/air conditioning system cannot be turned off and it is extremely loud. Even though the weather was beautiful and cool when we were there and we wanted to keep the doors open to the balcony, either the air or heat continued to run and the noise kept us from enjoying any peace and quiet while in the room. We were tempted to sleep outside on the balcony just to be able to enjoy the outdoors in peace! Finally, the lodge staff could use some further training from management regarding customer service. When we checked out it was completely perfunctory...no "how was your stay", "thank you for staying with us", "hope you come back and visit again" ~ nothing. Although when we made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating any special occasion (in our case a birthday), once we got there no mention was given to the event, no dessert was offered at dinner as a surprise, in other words no effort to make it worthwhile to go there for a special time. Maybe we are just spoiled travelers, but we were extremely disappointed in this establishment. Unless they completely overhaul their dining room and retrain the staff in making their guests feel more welcome, we won't be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank A36traveler
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We went here with a motorcycle group and found it to be an awesome place, so very clean and modern. The staff was great and housekeeping was wonderful....they were pleasant and spoke English and were very attentive!

The view was great.....(once the fog rolled out) and a person could just hide out here until it was time to go back to the real world. We hope to return here again next year!

Fair warning - once you get up the mountain, be sure that you have everything you need for your stay as you won't be "going to town" to get it. I wish that we would have known this and would have come just a little more prepared with food in our room.

The restaurant is good, but the service is very slow. The weekend buffets are very good and worth the convenience and price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank texaswinesnob
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Clean place! Definitely get a room with a balcony...the view of the valley is amazing! The Skycrest restaurant has reasonably priced food that tastes great and wonderful service also!

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank honeymooners060609
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarksville
#1 of 2 in Ozark
Super 8 Clarksville AR
Super 8 Clarksville AR
#6 of 7 in Clarksville

Been to The Lodge at Mount Magazine? Share your experiences!