“Like Staying At Home”

Ranked #2 of 17 Gjirokaster B&B and Inns
California
“Like Staying At Home”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is an old Gjirokastër house run by a charming, friendly couple. The house is quite nice, but the owners are even nicer. For example, the day I arrived they offered to wash my dirty clothes. No, I don't think I was terribly stinky, it was just a very homey atmosphere. The view from my window on the first floor was excellent, probably better on the 2nd floor. All-in-all, a relaxing stay. Excellent English spoken. The owners have two kids living in Minnesota and a granddaughter they are dying to visit!

Room Tip: Wifi signal was a little weak in my room at the far end of the house.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aqaba
Reviewed 10 October 2013

After many days cycling through the mountains of Albania the prospect of the climb to reach Kotoni Bed and Breakfast was tough, but it was well worth the effort. The location and views from the rooms are stunning and with the warm welcome of the hosts, we gladly made Kotoni our base in Gyjrocaster for a couple of days. The rooms are homely, like coming to stay with your granny, the breakfast is wholesome and the atmosphere is warm. Even our laundry was washed without charge. Really like coming home.

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 October 2013

If this is your first night in Albania--as it was mine with my girlfriend--your mind will be blown, first by the taxi ride up from the bottom of town and then by the hospitality of your hosts. The owners recommended spots for dinner and a place to catch the Albania/Slovenia World Cup Qualifying match on a big screen. Didn't steer us wrong with either.

Enjoyed chatting with the proprietors about their kids in America, Albanian history and their personal journey as guesthouse owners. Fascinating, friendly people. Excellent English spoken.

Can't beat it for 25 euros.

UK
Reviewed 29 September 2013

It was really nice to be welcomed with a cup of tea and a cake! And a lovely cat and three kittens. It had a lovely relaxed atmosphere and felt very homely. You can make you own tea. Room was big and very clean and there was a good view of the castle.

Breakfast was good- cheese, bread, butter, jams eggs and tea. Also the host lady kindly gave me snacks for when I had climbed the top of the castle hill!

Her English was excellent and she was very helpful.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Such a cozy and beautiful B&B with amazing hosts! Our room was beautiful and super clean! Mrs. Haxhi Kotoni was always cleaning and cooking and ironing and most importantly, smiling! :) Amazing breakfast with traditional Albanian mountain tea and Turkish coffee. The hosts were so sweet that if you simply ask for something, I'm certain they'll do all possible to accomodate you. In fact, we arrived at 9 PM for our reservation and did not realize that we ran out of Albanian currency, but still hadn't had dinner. They gave us money out of pocket and trusted us to pay them back and recommended an awesome restaurant called Kujtimi which was like Albanian tapas, which was great to try everything.

And as far as the city of Gjirokaster is concerned, it totally stole my heart. Pictures can't possibly do it justice...truly magical and so well preserved!

Room Tip: the B&B only has 6 rooms and they're all awesome and have the same lovely view of the city a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Comfortable room in a nice old house close to the centre of town. What really made this a 5 star stay was the owners who were natural hosts and went out if their was to make us feel welcome. They were also very helpful in assisting with our travel arrangements. Basically nothing was too much trouble. Excellent B and B!

New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I showed up late to Kotoni Bed and Breakfast. I had hit the difficult road (still being made) from the coast, then found myself lost in Gjirokaster. I turned up at about 9pm. I was told that my room had just been given away. From my experience in the Balkans, this is fairly standard practice in major tourist areas. If it looks as if you're not going to show, the hotel can play the odds. I was very dismayed at first, given my long day. My hosts made me a pot of wonderful tea, fed me (for a price) and led me to a room down the street at another B&B. This place wasn't as nice as the Hotel Kotoni, but I met some great French tourists and slept pretty well.

The next morning I was included at the Kotoni's simple but good breakfast--most notable for me getting a full pot of tea AND coffee. I really enjoyed getting to know my friendly hosts that day as I explored the town and rested. They pointed me to a good restaurant and gave me helpful directions out of town and with parking. My room was very nice and comfortable. Wi-fi was pretty good. The hotel is located just above the center of town, about a 20 minute walk to the castle, about a 5 minute walk just about everywhere else.

I did see the last review on here also had a problem with checking in. I think for all people traveling in the Balkans its good practice to call ahead if you are going to be checking in later than midday, and double check your check-in time (Kotoni's closes at 2:30). I would suggest to the owners to extend that check-in time since the roads are so unreliable, it's hard to make it when traveling from Tirana or further especially if you want to see the countryside and people will start to leave more negative feedback.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo