“Rustic atmosphere”

Dedo Pene tavern
Ranked #54 of 125 Restaurants in Bansko
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nice authentic Bulgarian tavern in the center of Bansko:http://www.restaurant.bg/designs/classic2_en.php?id=368http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g318870-d616595-Reviews-Dedo_Pene_Inn-Bansko_Blagoevgrad_Province.html (hotel & restaurant)
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Very good atmosphere, rustic furniture like it's from the 19th century, excellent service. Prices are on the budget side and the food was awesome. The duck with apples in sweet sauce is recommended. Thumbs up!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Recommended to us by a local we gave it a try and were not disappointed. We were in Bansko in the summer, which is out of season so, it was very quiet but cosy. The menu was extensive, the food delicious and we would recommend the stews for melt in the mouth meat. Having been to a few restaurants in Bansko, ordering separate veg, potatoes (unless you had a stew) and/or bread was not a surprise to us. The local red wine was good and the meal good value for money. The staff were very friendly. The proprietor even lent my boyfriend a 'hoodie' whilst his soaked shirt was placed over a chair and dried in front of the fire as we had got caught in heavey rain on our stroll to the mehana. We enjoyed it so much that we went back a couple of nights later with 4 friends, who also enjoyed it and said they would be going back.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I only ate here once as I was half board at my hotel, so it's not a comprehensive review. But, I liked that there was no tout outside trying to get me in, and I liked what I ordered. A hearty veal stew with the veal being melt in the mouth tender, came with bread that had been grilled over a fire. Drinks and the food were cheap, and service was friendly. The atmosphere, like most of these Mehanas is heavily rustic and traditional, but this felt a bit less fake than some of the others appeared. Big roaring fire is par for the course, and there was plenty of choice on the menu.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We arrived at this "mehana" traaditional tavern of the area , one late afternoon. It was quite and we were the only clients.Staff neutral , the proprietor Dedo (grandpa) Pene sympathetic. The food we ordered was a bit overcooked. Try to avoid the "kapama", it didn;t taste at all well.the pepper steak was served without any side dish. . Wine of the house was OK, and didn't add to our distress after the long walks we had in the woods. What was good were the "kofte" with cumin. An unpleasant surprise was the check, 30-40% more than the usual we paid. My advice:try to avoid mehanas if you want to eat good food and not just enjoy a tourist-like village atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

After we with my daughter got tired from our 4-stars hotel's evening meals, we decided to go out side and try some Bansko mehanas (taverns). We made some Internet work and agreed on Dedo Pene tavern located near the church in the center of the town. The tavern was very quiet and burning firewood in a stove in the middle of the room made an athmosphere very cosy. We liked our meals, especially tavern's speciality - mixed meats with vegetables served on an big old cast iron pan, and enjoyed our evening.