“Very nice hotel, good price, poor staff, poor surroundings....”

MPM Hotel Guinness Bansko
Ranked #14 of 96 Hotels in Bansko
Bucharest
“Very nice hotel, good price, poor staff, poor surroundings....”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We've been to this hotel in the winter, for the New Years Eve....and for some skiing.

I will start with the bad things:
The concierge woman at our arrival did not speak one word in English, nor Romanian. Only Bulgarian. And she seemed pretty annoyed that she had to deal with our check-in forms. She was not in the mood at all..... :) So she was rude. Other personnel in the hotel offerd us better experience, or at least they tried a little more.

The surroundings are ...well....nothing. Just ground. Unpaved, un-arranged, left just as it is....Balcanic style I would say....

They have some contract with a transportation company that has mini-buses, at fixed hours, that can take you to the gondola. BUT, DO NOT expect the bus to always be on time or to be there. Probably because of the New Year, for 2 fays in a row there was no bus, and the hotel knew nothing about this....so we had to walk.

Materials and finishes in the hotel are ...well rather cheap. With some very bad points (the less visible ones).

New Year Dinner is not worth the money (about 70 Euros / person if you want to buy it separately and is not included in the package). Poor show, the restaurant was too crowded, because they had to squeeze everybody in the hotel at the same time, in the dining room and still have some space for local musicians and dancers. The show is very poor.

Now, the good things:
The hotel is quite close to the gondola station. Less than 1 km. Not very easy to walk on ski-boots, but for boarders it is OK. On the way towards the gondola, the road goes up a little, so it is really not pleasant to do this on ski-boots. On the way back it is ok, going down.

The hotel has very very big rooms (suites actually). It has a huge lobby, a kitschy skylight, with TOO BIG an ugly steel profiles (I know what I am saying, being a structural designer myself and working with architects all the time). But overall the lobby is nice. It simulates an inner court. Big heating costs I would imagine....

Breakfast and dinner are really GREAT! This is a very big plus.

Price is very decent. We payed 280 Euros / person for 5 nights during the New Year peak season, with half-board and New Year Dinner included!

They also have a small indoor pool and sauna, and they are OK.

From all of the above, one might ask why do I give it 3 dots and less. Becasue for Bansko, I would say that this hotel is OK overall. And for the money you pay....Overall it was worth it.
Would I go back? I don't know, probably to this hotel yes, but not very soon in Bansko.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A group of 6 of us stayed for a week from 01 March. We were all really impressed with the hotel and had no complaints.

The food was surprisingly good, with a big selection for breakfast and dinner including lots of Bulgarian food. Mostly very hearty soups and stews but lots of nice salads and vege options as well. The room service was also really cheap, I ordered a pizza which cost around £3.50 and wasn't expecting much but when it came it was delicious, hand made with lots of nice toppings.

The fire was burning 24 hours a day and made a great central point for us all to meet. The hotel bar was really good value, and the barman, Robert was really attentive and friendly. The hotel ran an activity every night - bingo, quizzes, darts, most of which were free to enter with a bottle of sparkling wine as a prize.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and really large. Beds were comfy and the shower was really powerful and always warm.

The pool area was also really good, never too busy and a nice place to relax after a hard day of skiing.

The only downside is the lack of decent free internet. I paid 35 Lev (about £15) for internet access for the week as the free internet was far too slow and unreliable.

Overall, really impressed and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris M
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here on 1st March for one week in room 218 the food is ok and I understand why other reviews mention the Luke warm aspect. However there is plenty off variety and I am sure everyone could find something acceptable to eat. The bar menu is not too bad either. The staff are lovely too. The pool and sauna are a welcome break from the skiing, you will need to get a 'towel' which is actually a bath robe which you will need to change every 3 days. Rooms are clean but free wifi is hit and miss we logged on to the Belvedere wifi (hotel next door) which was better. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town and there is a free shuttle bus to the gondola you need to check the timetable, there is a HUGE queue for the gondola so we found it better to wait until 10 o clock for the queues to die down. Usual rudeness and lack of respect and organization in the queue it's a bit of a free for all. Really liked it at this hotel not sure about Bansko though I think I prefer Borovets. Be aware that the 'takeaway' breakfast on the last day cannot be consumed on the bus which is a bit disappointing considering the 3 hour transfer. Also the luggage door came open on the transfer home and the luggage spilled on to the carriage way, suitcases were wrecked and the Neilson rep managed a 'disappearing' act she was absolutely useless and a complete waste of space and I can't express enough just how useless she was. We had queued for 15 minutes in the wrong queue before we realized and where was the rep? Outside chatting!
I would recommend the hotel but not the resort. Go to Borovets instead, the ski rental with Neilson is for beginners so beware it's not possible to upgrade without paying 100 Leva.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you're looking for a clean, tidy hotel in a great location for the ski lift in Bansko, you won't go far wrong with the Guinness.

I stayed during February 2014, (Welsh half term) with my wife and two children, aged 9 and 7. Both the kids were first time skiers, though my wife and I have been a few times before.

The resort itself leaves a lot to be desired, and if I'm honest, so do the ski runs and the ski schools, but this review is about the hotel, so, in my opinion, for value for money, you won't do much better in Bulgaria.

The room was very spacious, with clean bedding and towels. We were greeted on arrival by a very pleasant porter who helped with our bags and brought us a small picnic buffet each...(which was very welcome as we had been travelling all day)

Breakfast is taken in the large restaurant and is buffet style, with a large choice of continental style meats and cheeses, cereals, fruit, or all the makings of a full English if you like. This, along with pastries and bread for toast, yoghurt etc...and all the juice / tea / coffee you can drink. I really couldn't fault the breakfast and nor could the kids !
Evening meals are taken in the same restaurant, and are also buffet style with a wide range of both Eastern European and othe styles of food, including starters, mains and desserts.

The lobby has a large, central area consisting of large sofas surrounding a large fireplace containing a large, roaring log fire. This was a really nice feature and made the hotel smell beautiful after a long day on the slopes.

We used the hotels pool most evenings, and although a bit on the chilly side, the adjacent sauna and steam room was welcome relief after skiing all day.

All in all, the hotel was very good for both facilities and value for money. The location of the Guinness is excellent, less than five minutes from the gondola station and the same distance from Pirin Street, the Main Street of Bansko which leads to Old Bansko.

A couple of negatives about the hotel would be the fact that rooms contain small kitchenettes with a fridge and two ring electric hob - excellent for making a cuppa, the reception even supplied a kettle and a couple of mugs (after a few requests) however, the hob wouldn't work. When I asked why, I was told that we weren't allowed to make our own hot drinks, strange that reception gave me the kettle and then told me I couldn't use it...and...
The layout of the hotels rooms is such that the bedrooms face out onto the central hotel lobby, which proved less than ideal on a few nights during the week when music quizzes and film nights were being held - quite noisy.

In summary, the hotel, (by Bulgarian standards) is very nice, the staff very helpful and the food of a good standard. It is in a great location and is very good value for money.

I wouldn't choose to visit Bansko again, but if I did need to go back, I would return to the Guinness Hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I just returned from a week in this hotel. Room was big, clean an conveniently fitted with cabinet and hangers for al my winter and ski stuff. There is a kitchenette, I used it for coffee/tea only. If you plan for more, you will need to bring tools. Bathroom was big and clean. The Hotel is well placed, close to the gondola, even closer to the Mall with a supermarket. Food was acceptable, do not expect gourmet food, but there were always many choices on the buffet, to fix me a good breakfast or dinner. The staff, mainly the lobby officers were all very efficient, smiling and responsive with good English. Honestly, I expected much less. Lobby looks great, kind of "inviting" atmosphere, was easy for me to join others and sit around the fireplace and do my daily mails and phone needs.
I did not use the SPA facilities or participated the entertainment programs, therefore I can not rate them. Wi-Fi was working only in the Lobby area and I had some connectivity problems This I real recommend to be upgraded. Bansko is a medium/ small size ski resort. Still I found great slopes for good skiers to enjoyed a great week.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed with my husband and three children during February half term. The rooms were lovely, spacious and clean, with a great view of the mountains. I thought the food was of a good standard with plenty of choice. The waiters were a bit surly and hoovered over you to whisk your plates away as soon as you had finished which was a bit off putting. The lobby and bar area was a great place to relax in the evening and the games room ideal for the children. The proximity to the gondela was very important as we certainly didn't want to walk far with all our ski stuff, and it was nice to be so close to the centre of town without having noise issues. So I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have been to many ski hotels in my time and this is one of the best, good clean rooms, breakfast and dinner were very tasty and catered for all, lobby was well designed and always had a warming feel which was ideal after a day of being cold! really glad we stayed there and would definitively stay there again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple