“Hope you like it hot!”
Review of Feynan Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dana
Feynan Ecolodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dana
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I freely admit that my review of this hotel is coloured by the fact that when I arrived there I was suffering from heat exhaustion and spent the night on the bathroom floor vomiting.

This hotel is in the most stunning location. It is also beautifully designed and built. The staff seem helpful and pleasant.

However, be under no illusion, you are in the middle of a wadi in Jordan with no electricity in your room. There is no air con and the fan is not operable. The windows are small and when open you hear animals (hyenas, camels, dogs?) howling all night. All this is far from ideal when you are suffering heat stroke, or even (as in the case of my husband) not suffering from heat stroke.

We were also booked into a twin room, not a double as requested. But maybe in the circumstances, this was just as well.

The food, I am told was basic, and I noticed flies everywhere.

This is an amazing place to stay, but be under no illusion, it is basic and hot, hot, hot. Do not go there if you are lacking the spirit of adventure.

1  Thank Boswarthan

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was on a mini road trip with a traveller I met in Amman who had booked themselves a room here. After seeing Petra, Wadi Rum etc. I decided to have a couple of nights here too and I'm so glad I did.

We arrived as the sun was setting so we couldn't do the sunset walk which wasn't a problem. We were picked up at a local village and it was a 30min drive in pretty much pitch black (the Bedouins must have great vision!) before we arrived. The lodge is lit up with candles everywhere - an amazing sight and it set the mood for our stay. After our vegetarian dinner (I'm a major meat eater, but the meals were delicious) we had a briefing on what activities were on offer. We were then taken to the rooftop and given an astronomy lesson (we did this both nights!)

Activity wise, we did the short hike (4-5 hours) and the sunset hike the next day. The guides are amazing and so knowledgeable. The stories they tell about Bedouin life and their knowledge on plant life and nature are so interesting and inspiring. Half way through our short hike, we stopped for tea. Our guide literally collected his materials to make a fire and within minutes had the kettle on it. It was a truly peaceful moment - sipping tea in the beautiful landscape that surrounds the lodge.

The lodge itself is stunning. Made from mud/clay (not really sure) there are no electrical lights and all the rooms, hallways, dining area are candle lit. The rooms are super clean and spacious and the beds are very comfortable. There is nothing around for miles so its easy to get a good nights sleep, ready for next days hike. WiFi is also available here but why would you want to distract yourself with what's going on in the 'real world'?!

It was a sad moment to leave this place. Although I didn't budget for the stay (it's not cheap if you're a budget traveler), it's one of those places I would've regretted not seeing if I saw it when I returned home. I've not been to a place quite like Feynan Ecoldge before and not sure if I will ever find one that can compare!

Room Tip: The booking system they have is a little strange. Everything needs to be confirmed by email so try a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a great place to just get away from everything. it's remote, quiet, dark, i mean really dark and natural.

The people are very friendly, make you feel welcome and help you enjoy the place.

The surroundings are picturesque, very remote with just the odd goat walking by.

We paid for the deluxe double room - it's spacious enough

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We spent one great night at the Feynan Ecolodge. We arrived in 4x4s from across the wadi near sunset. My partner and I were able to join a little hike with a few others to see sunset. As we watched the sun disappear behind the haze, we were served tea. The atmosphere was wonderfully serene, and I could have sat there for hours.

The lodge offers basic accommodations, candle-light in the evenings (except for the bathrooms). There is a great roof-top viewing platform with mattresses for star gazing. I spent a quiet hour there.

The lodge has adequate buffets for dinner and breakfast.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This place is beautifully remote. And it is everything that a remote location should be: disconnected and natural. If this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, it probably isn't. But for anyone wanting to spend time truly getting "away," Feynan is quite perfect. The setting is gorgeous and undisturbed by noise and light pollution—it almost looks like you’re on another planet at times. Our room was clean and as well appointed as an eco-lodge should be. (Note to those negative reviewers who were bent out of shape that their sheets weren’t changed daily: that’s not how an eco-lodge works, nor how anywhere should work, really). While vegetarian, the food was delicious and filling and left no one wanting. For the warm/hot months that make up most of the calendar year, this food is perfect: not super greasy or heavy and full of flavor.

Personal highlight: stargazing on the roof at night. It’s amazing to see the entire sky unobstructed by city glare and buildings. Even cooler was the high-tech GPS telescope that allowed us to see Saturn’s rings with clarity and dense star clusters. Our stargazing guide told us interesting tales of constellation naming and mythology.

My friend and I chose to do the Bedouin Experience, a 5+ hour immersion into Bedouin culture. We walked to a number of tented homes and learned about the ceremony of coffee, bread baking, and kohl making. It was fun and our hosts made us feel so welcome. I’d recommend it to anyone—it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most people.

The local Bedouin who manage the lodge and side trips are knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and (bonus!) totally appropriate. All of these characteristics were demonstrated when a member of our hiking party fell and fractured her ankle. The staff immediately jumped into action, calling and coordinating an ambulance (not an easy task as the nearest hospital is 50 km away and the lodge itself is far removed from any main roads). The staff and local community could not possibly have done more to make this potentially nightmare-ish situation more calm and organized.

All in all, I’d recommend Feynan to anyone looking for a bit of adventure and some quality immersion into truly authentic living. Note: This reviewer is by no means a hippie nor someone trying to find an existential experience in every trip. I like clean and I like courtesy. I’m fairly well traveled and have lived in the Middle East for a number of years and still found Feynan to be unique and totally worthwhile. Ignore the naysayer reviews. This place is great.

2  Thank rebecca7894
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Everything about Feynan is great.

Sunset Walk - what a great way to start the early evening. I can't credit Feynan for the view, but it was remarkable

Star Gazing - we got to see Saturn and other galaxies, the staff was trained well to teach about astronomy and were happy to give that knowledge to others

Dinner was simple, vegetarian, and delicious. Oh, and fresh and good for you.

Breakfast was just as good as dinner.

Room was comfortable, hot water for showers. Bed could have been a little more comfortable, but still got a good night sleep.

We wish we had a weeks time to stay, and would have been happy to do it here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Spent 2 nights here. Picked up and dropped off at reception centre which is a half hour drive over rough road to eco lodge. We were glad we did not walk from Dana Village it looked like a hot dusty track, not advised in warm weather. Enjoyed the food, candle lighting, and ambience in general. Did a fascinating guided walk when vegetation and bedouin lifestyle talked about. Memorable experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana
Petra Moon Hotel
#6 of 40 in Petra - Wadi Musa
Dana Hotel
Dana Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dana

Been to Feynan Ecolodge? Share your experiences!