“noisy, musty smell”

Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Taos, New Mexico
“noisy, musty smell”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Good location - walk to Petra, restaurants etc. -- but felt dirty -- room had a musty smell in it, and noisy w/the main road outside the window, the reception area/lobby above the rooms -- people were helpful though -- would opt to try another place....

Room Tip: ask for a room not on street side
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. John
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We arrived just before midnight at the hotel . The check-in process was fast and friendly.If you want to visit Petra, the Petra Silk Road is your Hotel of choice. It is located just 5 min from petra main entrance .The reception staff were very good generally, providing a small map to guide us around Petra site.The staff in the restaurant were excellent , .. Super attentive and friendly we had great food and great service I was really impressed by them .we stayed there for 2 nights .we had turkish bath too .overall i can recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Michal81
jordan-Amman
Reviewed 3 March 2011

i stayed with my family in silk road hotel ... the hotel was extremely excellent the stuffs were helpful ... rooms were comfortable ....every things were perfect .. i advice you to stay at this hotel.
Steven .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stev48
Amman
Reviewed 5 December 2010

the front office staff is extremely rode and not professional, I saw them fighting with one of customers about dirty towels, and he want to charge him 10jd for that, and I saw the towels its not really dirty!! and its the first time in my life i saw and hear hotels charging for towels, its not about the 10JD at all, the gay start speak very loudly with customer.
its happened on 17th of November 2010 at 7:10am
so I'll never back to this hotel :@

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Petra - Wadi Musa hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Stayed here for one night as part of an Exodus trip. Air con wasn't working in the afternoon and when I went to ask about getign it fixed I was told it would be turned on later that afternoon. Blatant lie looking at the other reviews and indeed it was not working when I returned from an evening out.

In addiiton when I did get back late from a night out I was on my own and the night staff man would not hand over my key without me agreeing to have a drink with him. I had to walk around the reception desk and threaten to take my key before he handed it over. I was travelling in a group with two other single women and they were all hassled in the same manner when trying to get their key. One of them was then phoned in her room by this creep. We complained to the Manager but if this is the sort of staff they recruit I would advise against staying there.

• Stayed November 2010
UK
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Very close to Petra entrance. Our room was OK at the front of the hotel, clean and fairly new. Air con did not work. Toilet did not flush well and we had to help it along by filling up an empty plastic bottle with water out of the tap. Had a Turkish bath and massage at the facilities next to the hotel which was fun.

• Stayed October 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We booked with Petra Silk Road Hotel because we couldn't find any other availability and of its proximity to the entrance to Petra, but to be honest, this was probably the only good thing it had going for it.

Greeting from Reception was at the most a miserable mutter of 'Good Morning'. I usually keep an open mind when staying at hotels as I know what you pay for is what you get, but this was pretty poor value for money. Our room was pleasant enough as it looked like they'd just refurbished it but the air con soon packed up and water was dripping all over the floor, making it smell musty and damp. I wanted to lock the bedroom window as it was on the first floor overlooking the street but it didn't work, plus the rooms on this floor all lead onto a little shopping mall, so security was rather poor.

The rate included breakfast which was not really worth writing about, just a few bain-maries of left over floppy Arabic bread, hummus and boiled eggs which was all wolfed down by the coach parties that descend upon the hotel. Probably our fault for getting to breakfast later than them really!

Bit of a dismal hotel, but good for one - or at a push - two nights, just for the ease of getting to Petra itself. We ate locally and went next door to the fancier hotels for a few drinks, so it was OK to just rest our head there. Therefore, I would recommend this hotel only because of its location!

(Just a note: we stayed in October 2008 so sorry for the delay in this review and the online drop down doesn't go back as far as 2008!)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple