“The best Camp in Petra”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petra - Wadi Musa
Ammarin Bedouin Camp
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed at Ammarin Bedouin Camp after learing that the camp is a "responsible and ethical tourism venue" whereby proceeds of our pay go to the local community cooperative - 200 families. The staff is from the local community and all the support unit too. Cooking is performed by local bedouin women who put in their hearts and presented us with the best meals we had during our visit to Jordan. Tasty and authentic food. Staff was very friendly, facilities and ground are very clean, and rababa music next to the fire unwound us after a long day of hiking. The hike we took with a local Bedouin around the camp area and Beida was magnificent and spectacular to say the least. We had our two young boys; 3 and 5 years old, with us who managed to enjoy the hike especially with the help of our guide Mousa who was pleasant and charming. I recommend this camp to all visitors to Petra to add a different flavor and twist to the visit by engaging with the Bedouins and visiting a much serene location. A real cultural and socially responsible visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SpiritualWorld

Reviewed 12 October 2012

location of the camp is fantastic, serene, quiet, mysterious ..we love small museum with herbs and real items from bedouin life, also impressed by fantastic photos of old local bedouins. We like hospitable service,smiling faces and play on rubaba ..food was great , and had a lot of local herbal tea , and unexpected hot water shower.. had great time , will come back for sure !

Room Tip: mysterious dreams could be caught if you get corner room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lia201
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Ammarin Bedouin Camp is a very clean and organized. The location is spectacular and the staff are very friendly. All the facilities and toilets are well managed and new. The food is very delicious and colorful it’s a real Bedouin and authentic local experience. The location is heaven on earth with billion stars above you. It's the perfect spot to relax and reflect. Even the owners are welcoming and generous. I definitely recommend this camp and love to come back again and again. Don't forget to visit the museum.

Et pour ne pas rater de m'exprimer en Langue de Molière, je dis simplement :
j'ai adoré cette merveilleuse expérience, et je n'oublierai jamais ma visite à Ammarin Bedouin Camp ... essayez , car vous ne regrettez pas !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank A-Ziane B
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed at Ammarin for one night based on a recommendation by friends and we were not disappointed. The toilets/showers were very clean and our tent was private and comfortable. The food was also fantastic for dinner and breakfast. We had an issue with getting to the Petra night tour and they offered to help us out with no questions asked. I felt they went above and beyond for us. If you plan on staying at a Bedouin tent, please chose this one in Petra. Remember to bring a towel if you plan on showering, we didnt anticipate that. Otherwise, the camp was set with in a canyon and not only was it beautiful, we felt very safe. The Bedoiuin team there also were very proud of their heritage and opened up a museum that is interesting and spent alot of time with us teaching the language as well as playing traditional music for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Niamh K
Reviewed 26 March 2012

After spending the day in Petra we retired to Ammarin for the evening. The camp is set in a lovely canyon which is lit up at night giving it a surreal effect. The tents are simple, but cozy. The washrooms are clean, but you do need to bring you own towel. It reminds me of camping in one of our provincial parks, except the tents are nicer, and the food and fire are waiting for you. The main tent where dinner and breakfast is served is where the main action takes place. Our dinner was simple, but very tasty. If you want to experience what life is like for the Bedouin, this is as close as you can get.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Volun2urist
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed at Ammarin for one night as part of a Desert Eco Tour group. We arrived at the camp and were met by a burning fire and hot tea available, a favorable start to our stay! It was nice to relax by the fire and meet the other people who were also staying (in total there were 9 of us staying at the camp that evening). The camp has hot/cold running water for showers (greatly needed after a day touring Petra). Yes, bring your own towels and shampoo, etc. Dinner was delicious and relaxing. After more tea by the fire, we decided to get to sleep early. The tents are basic, just a mat-like rug on the ground with mattresses and pillows. Yes, the mattresses are old and lumpy, the pillow has the softness of a concrete cinder block. None of that matters to me, it's the experience that counts here. It's not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but sleeping out in the desert, with the stars on display and the silence of the night... that is what you are getting. Perhaps it's not for everyone, but we enjoyed it immensely and wouldn't change anything about it. And where else can you wake up to a scorpion right outside your door? LOL.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 07nan
Reviewed 20 September 2011

After reading the glowing reviews from other travelers, I was sure this would be an experience of a lifetime. I was somewhat disappointed by the experience, so much so that Once I returned, I went back and reread the other reviews to make sure I wasn't anticipating more than could be delivered. I'm not sure if something has changed at the camp but it is definitely one grade below where it's been in the past. For starters, no one at the camp spoke more than a few sentences of English so we learned absolutely nothing about the Bedouins which was one thing I was really looking forward to. Strike 1. Because my husband and I were the only ones there on the first night, it made for an incredibly quiet night around the fire. We anticipated conversation around the fire with the abundant cookies and tea (no cookies, only tea) that other travelers mentioned. Then to our dismay, we learned that the camp doesn't provide towels, although other reviews specifically mentioned they did. We asked if there were towels and after struggling to describe what a towel is, they said sorry, no towels. Strike 2. The shower facilities were fine. Plenty of hot water and privacy was provided. The sleeping tents were just ok. The sleeping pads provided were pretty worn and both my husband and I felt our hips hit the hard ground below. The pillows were as hard as a rock so neither of us got a good night's sleep either of the 2 nights we stayed. Strike 3. Finally, after we saw the other Bedouin camps around on the drive to Petra, we compared prices and accommodations once we were back at home. It appears that the Ammarin Camp is nearly double the price of the 7 wonders camp which is such a shame. I would have opted to stay there had I done more research prior to booking. It seems that the experience there is better (from what I discerned from the Tripadvisor reviews) for a MUCH better price. The positive aspect I can comment on is the dinner. The standard dinner is very abundant and delicious and features salad, hummus, delicious potato dish, chicken, rice, olives, water and pita. We upgraded to the zaarb dinner on the second night and I thought it was utterly overpriced. My husband really enjoyed it and thought it was worth it for the experience, but I think paying 30 dinars more per person (which would get you a heck of a nice dinner anywhere in Jordan) is robbery. The only difference between the regular dinner and the zaarb is they cook the dinner in the ground and add lamb, baked potatoes and a cooked onion. For comparison, we ate an elegant dinner for 2 at our hotel in Aqaba and got 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 39 dinars. Or you could pay a Bedouin 60 dinars to cook some lamb for you....your choice. Overall, I would recommend staying at a Bedouin camp while in Petra, but 1 night is sufficient, and I wouldn't suggest upgrading to a zaarb diner. I also would recommend shopping around at other camps since this one seems to be lacking as of late and very expensive. Also, keep in mind that you have to pay 5-10dinars to get to and from the camp because it's 10km outside of the Petra gate.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family