“Be careful, money stolen from our room”

La Maison Hotel Petra
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was an awful experience that almost ruins our trip.

We shouldn't have done it, but we left a wallet with money inside one of the suitcases while we visited Petra during the day. 100 euros and 400 shekels were stolen from the suitcase. Someone went through our stuff (because you couldn't see it if you weren't looking for it) and took all our money.

We left for Wadi Rum and then to the border. We did not realize until we had to pay the border fee and we had no money at all! we know for sure it was in this hotel because after leaving it we kept our bags with us at all times.

As soon as we found a wifi, I reached the hotel manager explaining what happened thinking that maybe he would do some research and found the person who did it, but his answer was that it was not possible as they have cctv cameras in the building... indeed he was quite unpolite and did not believe us at all.

I don't want an answer or comment from him now. I only wanna warn people who stay in this hotel to be careful about their personal belongings. Don't leave anything in the room while you are away!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank belencbz

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Location - can't be beat. Quality of the hotel - super.

Staff / experience - "lacking" is a good word.

I've never actually experienced such blatant racism before. Twice, with two different staff members at breakfast, I was proactively asked, "where are you from?" and when I said "Canada" the person grunted and took away whatever food item from which I was currently serving myself at the table. My jaw dropped both times. I was once left holding the jam spoon as the staff member took all the jam away.

The front desk staff were another matter. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you are a local Badhul, living in a goat hair tent, with no running water, this hotel is probably the height of luxury. But I am a spoilt western woman who expects a few basics necessities from a hotel. Like bed sheets that fit and keep the mattress covered all night. I don't like ending up on a bare mattress, it makes me worry about scabies and bed bugs. I also like a shower that has water in it, and a bath plug, and a safe deposit box in my room and a hairdryer. Spoilt I know, but blame my parents.

However, after a night at the Feynan Eco Lodge I was thrilled to discover working air con and no flies on the food.

What this hotel does have is quick and easy access to the Petra site and many restaurants. Petra is enormous and after 8 hours walking around ( and climbing up) the site, you will be all too pleased to find that your hotel is just outside the gate to Petra, that you can walk to a relaxing hammam in 5 minutes, likewise find a restaurant to eat in.

Don't write this hotel off just because it isn't perfect and the staff need to be asked twice and then probably still won't find you what you want.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We loved our 4 nights at La Maison, just a short walk from the entrance to Petra. The hotel has a lovely roof top bar, which serves wine and beer and offers a limited grilled menu.

This is a very clean hotel with very helpful staff. There are many good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is a very close walk from the entrance to Petra and the street with all the restaurants and shops. The staff are very welcoming and friendly.
As for the rooms, don't expect much.. The beds are comfortable but the design and quality are very low. The bathroom was a mess though, the shower head was way too low and splashed the whole bathroom. But if you are only there to sleep the night and get back to exploring Petra then it's alright i guess..
Important note: Get some food with you! Breakfast wasn't edible and don't even try the tea or coffee (might've been boiling for days)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel was ok with few issues with the cleanliness of the bedding and the pillows. The location of this hotel is very good, very near to the petra site. We got a bad room for first night but next day the manager shifted to a much better room so I can suggest guest to ask for a good room as all rooms are not same.

Overall a nice place to stay to enjoy petra.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I was slightly apprehensive abt my stay due to the reviews on trip advisor. However, I'm pleased to say that my stay in Room 302 was ideal. There was hot water within seconds, the place was clean and they allowed us to check out late. They provided hot water for our instant coffee at the restaurant as well. Location was fantastic too! Staff was helpful in booking taxis.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends