“Touristy experience”

Al Yakhor Turkish Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Al Yakhor Turkish bath is located in Quiet Street where next to Petra Palace hotel. Just 200m far from main gate of Petra. 01 hour Turkish bath consist of steam bath (about 15 minutes), lying down on a hot stone slab (10-15 minutes), body scrub & massage (15-20minutes) and then showing afterwards. The purpose of Turkish bath is BODY DETOX and CLEAN THEIR DEAD SKIN. Please note that Turkish Bath is completely different from Swedish Massage, Thai Massage, Indian Ayurubeda spa and other luxury Spa/Estes etc. In our bath, there is shampoo, body lotion & soap etc but we put things in proportion to the price. So, if you prefer to use the richest shampoo, lotion, soap & treatment stuff etc, please ask the reception staff who will advise & provide you with fee. Moreover, in our new policy, we do not accept any improper people such as homosexual, taking drug & alcohol etc to enter our Turkish bath. To avoid any unnecessary claims, review for other people & respect our Turkish Bath, please kindly do your behavior in appropriately. *Turkish Bath Freshen up with a centuries-old spa treatment. A scrub in a Turkish bath is not just part of a bathing ritual, it also helps with detox and enhancing our immune system.The Turkish bath, also known as a hammam, is the Middle Eastern variant of a steam bath. During the Ottoman Empire, Turkish baths served as places of social gathering and ritual bathing. Today people use the hammam as a pampering form of cleansing and relaxation.How the hammam works:The Turkish bath is modeled on the Roman system of bathing with a warm room, hot room and cool room. The bather enters the warm room where their body warms up, then enters the hot room, or steam room, which has water basins along the walls and a large heated stone platform in the center. The bather can rest on the stone to increase body temperature and promote sweating, then rinse off at the water basins. One of the main specialties of the Turkish bath is the foam and scrub massage where a masseuse or masseur lathers up the bather with a special cloth sack full of foam and scrubs off dirt and dead skin with a loofah. The bather can then continue to relax in the hot room and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the steam and heat.
Reviewed 22 October 2018

After our second day in Petra our legs ached and our driver suggested this hamman a short distance from our hotel . It was a fixed price of 25JOD each which seemed reasonable. Our driver was a decent guy and while we knew this would get him a cut we did not begrudge him that.
I have been to more than my fair share of hammans in various countries and this was clearly a place for the tourists. All other customers were foreigners and it seems we were nearly all there because our hotels or agent or driver had made the booking.
It is a small place. Men and women not separated and I was a little perturbed to see that the manager was in underwear doing the massage for a young blonde tourist woman as I really do not think that is appropriate. I would not have stayed had that been the same for me but a female staff member was allocated for my scrub and massage, luckily.
My husband and I sat in the small steam room for as long as we could stand it and then lay on the marble slab in the central room until called in for our scrubs. These took place in side rooms on EXTREMELY high marble tables. I had to be literally hauled up. I have had more thorough scrubs and massages elsewhere.
The showers had big wholesale bottles of a local shower soap and shampoo so had I known I would have brought my own as they were by no means luxury products. The cleanliness level was fair to average.
Overall, it did the job on our sore legs so OK for that but do not expect an indulgent luxury experience or an authentic one. There was a group of elderly tourist ladies coming in after us and I worried for them a little.

Date of experience: October 2018
in 4 reviews
"egypt"
"desert"

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

After a long day drive and really needing a relaxing session, it would not have taken much to put me to sleep!

The guy “sells” what he wants to you. For you, I do good price, then makes up crazy maths... 25jod 1 hour, another 35jod for half an hour so 60 Jod for an hour and a half but he can do for 50? Wtf?

Shocked I wanted a female staff member.... tried to get him to leave me to change. He SPEAKs a lot of English but understands little and listens to nothing.

Steam room smells of funky-ness. Oils could disguise it.... but they don’t bother.

The hot slab was cold. Whilst waiting for it to heat I’m convinced old bits of skin were on it. I’m a doctor so am not imagining this grotesque vision. Then my favorite bit was the cold water being tipped on me.

Much discussion about hot v cold water. I was informed that many people like cold water. I explained that after waiting for the infested slab to heat up, why would I want cold? One could always ask prior to the shock. After a few more minutes and the final conversation being that I don’t want cold water anywhere near me (same script whole way through) they said- ok- cold water!!!

That’s when I left. Appalling! The hotel that recommended emphasized that they were at my service and this was the best! Run away fast.... go anywhere else!!! Namaste xx

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Went a few days ago before doing the Petra experience. For 25 JD, we were barely scrubbed and massaged. Both scrub and massage were supposed to last ten minutes each, but I think both were done in 7 mins total. The guy barely spoke English and asked me to give him my bracelet and necklace (like, for good). I said no, and he smiled and forced a hug on me. I then took off my necklace and bracelet and put them in my pocket. He then proceeded to give the worse scrub/massage ever and his sweat was dripping into my eyes. After I had to spend twenty minutes to untangle my necklace. When it came time to shower, there were only two stalls... one where there was no cold water (only boiling hot) and a second where the water barely trickled out. Wadi Musa is a tiny village and to charge 25JD for this awful experience is complete robbery. NEVER AGAIN.

Date of experience: September 2018
Alyakhorh, Owner at Al Yakhor Turkish Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2018

Dear Cheyne_nyc,
We first thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property service although it is a prejudice that you have descrided the service as being disgusting, awful experience.

In our property, we value our guests' experience and we make sure everyone is happy before leaving. we ask everyone to value their experience on tripadvisor so for us we understand how important to offer the best we can to ensure the best experience so that we get the best reputation and as a result we get better business.

In your case, I believe there was some kind of a misunderstanding. We ask everyone before getting into the steam room to take off all their jewelries and watches and put them in a safe box and keep the key with them.
Our staff are very sensitive to getting close to females and everyone is cautious to their behavior so that we wont get confused with harassment. So please , know that you were asked to take off your necklace to put them in the safe box and he was not asking you fo your necklace. Our staff do speak english that serves the purposes of work but they are not perfect english speaker so that may be the reason you misunderstood him.

We wish you talked about your experience before leaving our property so that we could have made things clear abd that you had a better service which is the norm as we offer tea to drink after you finish your massage and bath and ask how good it was and if there was anything wrong we can fix it.

Kind regards,
Management,

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

This is an Homophobic place, 2 men are not welcomed weather homosexual or not, their narrow mind & ignorance is clearly stated in their bath description. There are other great Turkish bath in town to relax.

1  Thank Monsieurandres
Alyakhorh, Owner at Al Yakhor Turkish Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear Monsieurandres,
Thsnk you for taking the time to write your review about our property service.
We respect your sexual oriantation and we here emphasize on the fact that we do not judge people by who they are and we have never been like the way you described us. We feel sad for reading your review and please know that everyone os welcomed to enjoy oir services, men, women regardless of their sexual orientation nd we even do not ask about at the first place.

Kind regards,