“PERFECT”

Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A charming old country pub and restaurant with great food, fine wine, real ale and a warm welcome. Finalist for Berks and Bucks Pub of the year 2013. Locally owned and run as a free house serving a mix of modern English dishes, hearty classics and weekly specials, all home-cooked with fresh local produce wherever possible. For a lighter bite, Tapas is now also served all week in the bar. Sundays give a choice of our popular roast or mouth-watering Garden Grill. To finish your meal off we specialise in hand-crafted desserts followed by a gourmet hot chocolate with homemade petit fours.Depending on the weather, snuggle up by the open log fire, relax in our large family garden or chill in our quiet sheltered courtyard. Extensively refurbished in March 2013 with wood panelling, new flooring throughout, a re-styled restaurant bar and a cosy new private dining area seating groups of up to eight. On the outside there is a smart new garden, new play equipment and more parking.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I was looking for somewhere for lunch as I was meeting 2 friends for a "catchup". We were work colleagues and one had moved to Australia. I hadn't been before but it was highly recommended by my stepson. I was not disappointed - it was perfect! Efficient and friendly staff, food excellent as is the whole design and decor of the restaurant and garden. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

My sons treated us to Sunday lunch today for hubby's birthday. As usual, the food was excellent, but the overall experience was very disappointing. The service was dreadful, despite the pub not being that busy. Our drinks order took ages to be taken - despite other tables seated after us being served before us. Then another tables drinks were mistakenly delivered to us. Finally our drinks arrived after about 15 minutes, only for my husband's drink to be incorrect. We were given some water, but didn't have enough water glasses, despite repeatedly saying "excuse me" to a passing waitress she didn't hear me, so I took 3 glasses from an adjoining empty table. At which point one of the waitresses saw me do this and immediately replenished the glasses on the empty table! I then had to ask if we could order our food. When the food finally arrived, it was delicious. But the disappointment continued, the gravy boat - to share between 4 of us - was tiny, so we asked for some more, which was given, a bit begrudgingly. A second gravy boat was also not enough, so my husband just got up and took the boat to the kitchen counter and just asked for more! Not once were we asked if our meals were OK. Overall, not a great customer service experience for nearly £40/head for 2 courses and a couple of drinks.

4  Thank Janie30
ShurlockManager, Manager at Shurlock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Hi Janie30!

Thank You very much for taking time out to review us and share Your thoughts.

We're very happy You enjoyed our product but am a little disappointed about Your overall experience. We always strive for delivering the highest standards of service so we do take all constructive criticism on board in order to continue improving as a Restaurant & as a Brand.

Hopefully, we will see You back in the future for a REAL Rarebreed experience.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 22 June 2018

In the last week I have eaten at 5 new (for me) restaurants. None were disastrous, some were without doubt much better than others, and probably only two of them, in my opinion would be worth a return visit. The Shurlock Inn is certainly one I will be back to, and highly recommend. We only popped in for a quick lunch, but the service and food were impeccable. The BLT I had was fantastic, and the green salad perfectly dressed. I cannot wait to return this weekend. Definitely number one of the five last week.

Hi jackim!

Thank You very much for Your glowing review. We're really happy to have ticked all the boxes for You & Your guest(s). We have passed on Your message to The Team @ The Shurlock Inn & we really look forward to seeing You back in again some time soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2018

I booked this restaurant for mine and my partners anniversary and this did not disappoint. The restaurant is perfectly split into 2 halves, one being the sit down table and 'fine dining' area and the other a more pub feel, but with a little secluded seating area towards the back. The staff were extremely helpful and efficient, they were also very knowledgeable, especially with the wine menu (huge mistake letting the partner have complete free range on the selection).

The food itself was amazing! We had the Rarebreed board for starters and this was a perfect mix of meat, I would recommend sharing this although after tasting it all I'm not sure you would want to. Onto the mains and WOW..... As a steak enthusiast I always look for a good bit of steak when we at out, and this menu is packed full of good steak. What I liked in particular was that the menu told you were this steak was cut from, the texture/flavour and also recommended cooking, a very nice touch. I had the 350g Fillet and my partner had the 200g Filler and we can honestly say this was one of the best steaks we have ever tasted, the texture/flavour was so tasty and it was cooked to perfection! You have to try the Peppercorn chefs own sauce with any steak you get, the sauce was out of this world and the chef personally cam out and told us how to make this back home, and although we have on a few occasions it just doesn't quiet hit the same spot. Unfortunately as the food was soo good and the wine partner had previously picked was also soo good, we didn't have space for any desserts lol.

All in all a top restaurant with amazing food and staff! We have and will continue to revisit this restaurant!!

Hi danS743HX!

Thank You very much for Your review. We're really happy that You had such a good time on Your special day.

We do take massive pride in our Native Breed steaks & we're really pleased that our efforts paid off for You and Your guest(s). We look forward to seeing You back in for another Rarebreed Dining experience and maybe even a dessert!

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We stopped here for an early lunch on Saturday. The lunch menu is great with a good selection. There was also a specials lunch menu which was just as good.
I has the 9 month aged beef in a brioche bun and my husband had the pork bun. Both dishes were excellent.
We were severed by a lovely young lady who was both attentive and friendly. Would highly recommend.

Hi SeemaWilson!

Thank You very much for Your review. Your positive words have been shared with The Team.

See You again soon!