“Planet's best”

Cuisines: American
Arkansas
“Planet's best”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

A little eight foot long buffet of delicious foods. Maybe a dozen vegetables, some salad fixings, owner will slice off ham, roast beef, or turkey for you. I skip the meat in order to load up on chicken and dumplings. They also own a bakery down the street, and all of their desserts come from the bakery. The only place I have been that serves poke salad in season. LRSkier2 gives a complete and spot on description. My wife and I camp a Petit Jean 4 or 5 times a year and always drive into Russelville at least once just to eat at Opal Mae's.

• Visited November 2013

Little Rock, Arkansas
“As good as your Mama's cooking!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

So good to find a place with Home Cooking. Located in the downtown area of Russellville, off Main street on West B, Opal Mae's is a place to plan to enjoy a nicely prepared offering of piping hot vegetables, salads, and entrees on the small buffet server. Breads and desserts are included with you meal if you have room for them.

I was yearning for some veggies while driving back from NWA and began to Google for a cafeteria along the way and came up with this local cafe with good reviews here and on the
Urbanspoon site so I set West B as my lunch destination and was so delighted with my food that I am making sure to offer you my endorsement as a great local eatery with a home cooked buffet.

It began with four top tables and stack chairs around the perimeterof the room with a long center row of tables to seat folks as they enter this quaint, little hole in the wall diner. One wall accommodated the buffet covered by a built in window sneeze guard covering a large bowl of tossed mixed greens, coleslaw, marinated cucumbers, and some salad toppings followed by a table-top heated server holding lots of small containers of vegetables often being refilled by the chef with several choices of meats at the end. Above different desserts served in small cups were available and in front of the veggies, rolls and cornbread as well as saltines for your salad. A large cabinet piece from you grandmother's house held the salad plates, bowls and dinner plates for you to fill. One nice lady served as waitress who brought your drink and silverware to your table. A one pass pricing, vegetables only or all you can eat options were available for you to choose as well. Sandwiches, soups, and salads were also available but after looking at the buffet there was not doubt what i was going to eat and it would definitely be all you can eat which was not much more than the other options.

I chose a sampling of almost all that was there: boiled cabbage, turnip greens, green beans with green peas, candied yams, whole kernel corn, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, and another bowl of different greens. Leaving off a couple of others which have left my memory. I enjoyed a curried chicken with broccoli for my main course passing up the featured sliced ham, and the other couple of meat entrees. After getting a clean plate for a second pass I decided not to sample the desserts since i was really full and enjoying my feast. The tab was $10.50 for everything and the meal was some of the best home cooked food I have enjoyed while eating-out in a long time.

I think you will enjoy a visit to Opal Mae's when you get a chance, I sure did!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank LRSkier2
Miami, Florida
“Hard to Find, Easy to Like”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Leave the main highway and chain restaurants, find Opal Mae's on B Street for lunch. It will be the high point of your travel day. The chicken salad sandwich tastes like it was made in heaven ... at that very moment. Decor is just like you would hope to find in a small town Arkansas family restaurant -- lace curtains, flower pots in the window, family in the kitchen.

• Visited May 2013
Russellville, Arkansas
“Wish I could give it higher marks”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

It's a cute place and the layout of the little buffet is good, small enough quantities so that food isn't out there too long. My biggest complaint is that everything seems to have sugar in it. I don't like sweet cornbread, sweet cabbage, sweet green beans, really only want sugar in my dessert.

2 Thank Ozark_Lady
Denton, Texas, United States
“Great atmospshere”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Had a great dinner with my wife here, food and staff were both excellent. Fell in love with the mac and cheese, but everything I sampled from the very reasonably priced buffet was delicious. I highly recommend this as a must if you come anywhere nearby, excellent experience!

• Visited March 2013