“On the Cheap”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Texarkana
Fort Smith
“On the Cheap”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Everything about this hotel seemed to be on the cheap, except the rates. The billboard on the highway advertised $28, the sign out front says $32, but I was charged $38 with no discounts for AAA. The exterior looked like it has been recently painted, but the facility overall was somewhat run down, as if the aesthetics of a new paint job would cover the crumpling stairs or rusting rails.

The clerk who checked me in was rude, at best. I asked for a good place to eat dinner and he told me Denny's or IHOP. I asked about the seafood restaurant nearby and the he raised his voice at me: "ONLY EAT AT DENNY'S OR IHOP", though he never said why.

My room was upstairs (no elevator) with a breathtaking view of nearby I-30. Even with the air-conditioner running (fortunately it was working well in the 95+ degree heat), I could hear the trucks along the highway. The deadbolt worked on the door, but there was no security chain. The upstairs ice machine didn't work so I had to go downstairs to get ice, which was very inconvenient.

The TV seemed to work OK, but half of the promised 55 channels didn't work: they were nothing but "snow". The HBO didn't work either and there was no channel guide in the room or TV Guide channel so I had to keep looking for something to watch.

The bed was hard and kind of lumpy in addition to being short-sheeted (queen bed with sheets for a full size bed).

The shower had plenty of hot water, but the towels were small and thin. There was a wash cloth, a bath towel, but no face towel. The shower door itself didn't latch peoperly and allowed water all over the floor... a definite safety hazard.

The free breakfast was a joke: donuts and coffee... and not very good donuts.Why even have "free breakfast" if it's only donuts & coffee?

I overslept in the morning and was coming out of the shower just before 9am where there was a loud knock on the door "Housekeeping". The housekeeper tried to come in and I said "I'm still in here". She then asked me "are you checking out by 11" and I replied I was. When I went to turn in my key, I told the clerk what room I was in and that I was checking out. "OK" is all she said... no "thank you" or "please come again".

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank YFNETM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
austin, tx
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I've been traveling from Texas to Canada and back again. I planned my trip in advance, did my research, relied heavily on traveler reviews and have had a pretty decent one/two star hotel experience with exception to the Country Host Inn located in Texarkana. I couldn't find a way to leave the review on Yahoo! travel, so I'm leaving it in other spots widely used by travelers to let folks know that if you stay here, you may not feel safe or comfortable. I'm not a picky traveler, I understand a fifty sixty dollar a night hotel will get you a place to sleep and occasionally, a free cold breakfast. The problem is, this hotel has no hot water, doesn't seem to be aware of or care about that fact, doesn't provide basic things like trash cans in your room (this can get ugly, depending on the number of travelers) and the typical clientele tends to hang out in the parking lot, thumping their base and wandering around looking for something to do (it's not a nice feeling when your car is parked out there). It's very close to the highway, so you will, of course, hear traffic and be close to restaurants, but this is the first time I'm saying I would NOT stay here again. Ten more bucks would put me in a better spot. Families, don't stay here! P.S. The not so pleasant desk clerk bluntly told me people smoke in their non-smoking rooms. So much for that!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Familytraveler123xyz

Travellers are raving about these Texarkana hotels

new york
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We were traveling from New York to Texas and needed a place to sleep. This did not even serve that purpose. It was 1:30am this place looked clean from the outside but inside was a different story. The "nonsmoking room" reaked of cigaretts. When I pulled back the covers a roached crawled out. The sheets and pillowcases stunk and there were hairs all over the bed. I really do not think they washed the sheets. Because of the cheaper price I wasn't expecting luxury, but I do expect cleanliness!

• Liked — right off the highway
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank kiftexas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Texarkana
Best Western Plus Texarkana Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Texarkana East
Hampton Inn Texarkana Arkansas
Days Inn Texarkana
Days Inn Texarkana
#11 of 17 in Texarkana
Holiday Inn Express Texarkana
Holiday Inn Texarkana Arkansas Convention Center

Been to Country Host Inn? Share your experiences!