“Loved it!”

The Lighthouse Cafe
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Simon's Town
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Lighthouse Café has a beautiful ambience; it is an inviting space, light & airy with a French Provençal and Coastal feel which makes one feel right at home.Together Brett and Heleen as owners, chef and hosts have truly created a “home from home” experience for their customers.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in Simonstown a few days and ate here twice. Both meals were great, the restaurant is cozy and the staff is welcoming. The chef/owner Brett walks around to all the tables intent on making sure you are enjoying the food and having a good time. The olives used in the salads and other dishes were exceptional, it turns out Brett cures them himself. We also enjoyed the local mussels, calamari,pesto pasta,chicken and the homemade chocolate tort w/orange sauce stood out. Everything was really good!

1 Thank ThirdWorldDog
Heleen M, Owner at The Lighthouse Cafe, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Oh we remember you well! We couldn't believe how much you enjoyed the food and how many courses you had in one night, it was lovely of you to remember us and the food you had, we are still running the Chocolate Torte with Burnt Orange Sauce, turned out to be a BIG hit with our customers!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb and delightful”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I see there is no need to write a review, simply to endorse those already so eloquently written. I recommend this "little place with a great big heart" unreservedly; and it is a pleasure to entrust visitors to our town somewhere where we know they will have great experience. And of course to be able to go there ourselves, so far my top favourite was the the mauritian bouillabaise. So glad we have you in town, Brett and Daleen.

1 Thank Anita T
Heleen M, Owner at The Lighthouse Cafe, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Oh we are so happy to be in Simonstown in our little cafe where we want to create a "home from home" experience for all our customers who come in whether it is just for a coffee, a long lazy lunch or dinner. We are here to stay because we love it!
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

If I lived in Simon's Town, I'd never need to cook again! This place has it all - friendliest, loveliest owners and staff, great ambience & vibes, and probably some of the best food we ate in 4 weeks in SA. Not huge portions, which in a way was nice, because it meant we could sample the starters, enjoy the main course, and still just about have space for one of their delicious desserts. Great value for money and just a lovely evening out. The owners passion for food just shines through everything they do - if you want to eat in the evening (they open Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat evenings), then make sure you book a table as they are generally fully booked & we saw a stream of would-be walk ins sadly turned away. A lovely menu, with specials that change weekly, we also had brunch there which was also excellent. Try it, you'll love it!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Calliope245
Thank you for a lovely review, it makes us very happy that you had some of the best food you had in SA in 4 weeks in our pretty little cafe!
Cape Town
“The best kind of local dining”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

What a pleasure this was ! We had been meaning to dine here for months and for various reasons hadn't made it, but it was worth the wait.
With a maximum of 28 or 30 covers it is an intimate space, clean and pretty, with a nice ambience. We were greeted like regulars and immediately felt at home.
One of the problems we find with the local restaurants is that they carry huge menus but it always seems to be the same old dishes, and if they don't have a good range of specials things can get very boring. The menu here is not huge but it is very varied and they have a specials list as well, and I had a hard time choosing what to try even though I don't eat fish, lamb or cheese, which you can imagine often leaves me with little choice. The wine list is limited, but when you remember that it is customary to take your own wine to restaurants here, I find that perfectly acceptable. (Corkage is only R.30, and they do have some good wines on the list should you not have your own with).
There isn't a list of starters as such but by the time I had given up on attempting to finish my very generous portion of pasta I was very pleased I hadn't had one ! I tend not to eat pasta when out as the fashion seems to lean toward the overdone heavy sauces that have nothing to do with any Italian origin, but I found the Amatriciana dish here to be excellent. Himself had the Bouillabaisse, Malaysian style so very spicy, and he loved it.
We forced ourselves to have dessert as they looked so good, and waddled home very happily indeed. With the prices as reasonable as they are, this is going to become a very firm regular favourite.
P.s. Make sure you book. They open 4 evenings a week, and even on a Wednesday we couldn't have got a table.

Visited November 2013
So great that you enjoyed our special Mauritian Bouillabaisse, we almost can't take it off the Specials Board! We love when our customers try our special desserts, our food portions are quite generous so not always space for puds.
Simon's Town, South Africa
“Pass this at your peril”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

If you are looking for somewhere in Simon's Town to exchange your hard earned cash for gastronomic delights then look no further. But do look, this is a small restaurant and you could easily miss it driving through the Town. You will receive a warm friendly greeting and great service. The food is fantastic, they typically have 3 different specials every week, and there is a great range of pasta dishes, pizza's and grills available, the food is freshly prepared and the portions generous. Open 7 days for breakfast and lunch and for dinner on Wednesday to Saturday. I simply could not find fault, mind you I was in food heaven as I devoured the Mauritian bouillabaisse "special for this week", I will certainly be returning for more fine fare. I would advise anyone wanting dinner to book ahead, we were there on a Wednesday evening and there were no spare tables.

• Visited November 2013
We know that we succeeded in our vision for our cafe when we receive reviews where customers write that they were received well, that they enjoyed generous portions of food and that the ambience was great!