“ROBBED- STAY AWAY!!!!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Simon's Town
Jersey City, New Jersey
“ROBBED- STAY AWAY!!!!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the Boulder's Beach lodge we were immediately suspicious that there was no safe in the room.  We assured it was a safe hotel and safe area in general.  We  left in the early evening to see the nesting penguins but realized within ten minutes that it was too dark to see anything.  We returned immediately only to find the room ransacked.  The robber entered thru a window.  Considering we had not touched anything in the room at that point it was suspicious that anyone could have entered and in such a short time.  No one was in the office to help us call the police.  There was an intern who was staying there who helped us call.  He also let us know that he was robbed during his sleep in the SAME week!  In the morning, the owner's swore that insurance would cover the missing items (totaling over 3000USD).  After months of corresponding with the inept insurance company (Santam, who closed the case three times accidentally), I was told that nothing would be replaced.  I wasn't even reimbursed the cost of the room despite not being able to sleep in it because it was a CRIME SCENE. I slept in a dirty room offered to us by a kind family downstairs while their kids slept on the floor.  I don't think our experience could have been worse. I wish I could give it zero stars.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jenn B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had a wonderful stay, though only for 1 night. The room was cosy, bed comfortable, nice big bathroom, and sea view made it even better. Good location, close to penguins, there are even penguins in the lodge. The restaurant staff were professional, friendly and provided excellent service. Definitely worth the price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

2 Thank Steven L
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

As ever we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and visiting the penguins. Food was excellent again but it's just a shame one is rationed to just one juice or tea or coffee with breakfast without paying extra!

1 Thank Diana M
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Compared to other accommodation on our trip around South Africa this wasn't great value for money. The location is good although you have a fairly large car park out front rather than being directly on the coastline. The rooms are small but clean and the bed is comfy with good quality linens. However, the rest of the furniture in the room was cheap and shoddy. We were in an upper floor 'balcony' room but the balcony is really a walk way along the front of the rooms and doesn't face the sea. I don't think any of the rooms actually face the sea directly. Breakfast was tasty but you were allowed either juice or coffee, not both which is frankly just cheap! We did eat dinner and the food was very good. The location is good for a walk along the coastline to see the penguins. However, I think if I were in the area in future I would stay elsewhere and just drive along to the beach to looks at the penguins.

1 Thank Helen B
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We chose this lodge because of its location next to the penguin colony. The lodge is a small place with a nice restaurant. We knew we had made a good choice when we arrived in the parking lot to see 2 Southern Right whales out in the bay. They were frolicking around for a couple of hours and we had fun watching the whales and of course, the penguins.

Check-in was quick and the girls at the front desk were helpful with information about the area. They even made us a couple of sandwiches for the next morning since we were leaving early and would not have time for breakfast.

The room was basic but comfortable and having a bath tub was a big plus. It was cold and we indulged in a warm bath after visiting the penguin colony. We also had a couple of penguins nesting outside our room. Even though they could be noisy at times, they are the most unique neighbors we have had and it made for a great start to our Cape route travels. If you are a penguin lover, this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The mountain rooms do not have a view but that is where the penguins were nesting.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuffaloSunshine
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 25 November 2013

PROS:
Excellent communications via email prior to staying at the lodge.
Delicious breakfast included in our room price.
Cozy, welcoming towel rolls on made-up bed when we arrived.
Convenient walk to Boulder's Beach and viewing area.
Restaurant on site with delicious food and professional, prompt waitstaff.

CONS:
Not worth $150. I think this lodge was "okay" but the only great part was the restaurant and wait staff therein. The room was dated, and both my husband and I considered it just "okay." Okay does not merit $150 per night. I would pay between $75-100 only for the location of this place adjacent to the beach.
"Sea view" for our room (#12) meant either going out onto the balcony and looking between the buildings, or over the roof of the adjoining building. The biggest window had a view of a large overgrown yard and another building. Again, this room was okay, and if you can get it for $75-100, go for it. But don't pay $150.
When checking out, the woman did not thank me for my stay. She barely made eye contact. When I asked for a stamp for my Cape Town passbook, she said that it was locked up in the manager's office and the manager wasn't in that day. I asked if there was another area I could get one and she said no. (I found out, thankfully that they also have a stamp at the Boulder's Beach Viewing area).
No penguins at all at the lodge. Of course those aren't guaranteed and they were within a short walk.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a sea view in room 12. Not worth the extra money.
1 Thank TravelingMarLa
Houston, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed the stay at the Boulders Beach Lodge. The room was very basic and simple but the room was only a small part of the memorable experience. The place has the feel of a family -- The staff was extremely friendly (from the desk to the restaurant). The food at the restaurant was some of the best that I had during my entire visit to Cape Town and Hermanus and I ate at some very nice restaurants. Getting up early to go out and watch the penguins while it was quiet was an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Chapmans Peak Beach Hotel
Simonstown Guest House
Simonstown Guest House
#3 of 29 in Simon's Town

Been to Boulders Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!