“Ok experince”

and 1 more site!
Simon's Town Backpackers
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hostel is ok if you only look for a place to sleep. They do not offer a very nice common area or kitchen. The balcony has a beautiful view however. Just stay here if you have something to do in Simons Town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Despite very friendly staff this hostel is overpriced, we stayed in a double room with a shared bathroom last week, our room was damp and cold. We wanted to stay close to Boulders Park however we wished we would have known that 5-10 minutes further round the bay there are much nicer hostels much closer to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in a double ensuite room for one night.

Positives:
-Room was spacious
- Room and bathroom were clean
- Located 10 min walk from Boulders park

Negatives
-Not welcomed, the guy behind the reception was clearly miffed we had disturbed his football game!
-Notes on the fridge were quite aggressively worded, although I can't remember what it said exactly now but it was something along the lines of this fridge is for staff only anyone found going into it will be dealt with severely - I felt this was a little over the top!!
- the staff member invited a friend over and had a very loud jamming session on electric guitars until about 9.30pm

The main thing I remember from the stay was my partner telling me that he was woken up at 4am by loud voices, although we can't say for sure what was going on what he heard was a female saying something about something in her room being dangerous and a male shouting that he knew she would be trouble from the moment she checked in and that she needed to leave immediately.

Not brilliant customer service to be throwing a female out on the streets at 4am!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed at the Simon`s Town Backpackers for one night and found this hostel good value for money. A clean, spacious room and bathroom, good beds, relatively quiet. Front desk staff was ok though not overly eager to engage in any longer conversation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I booked a dorm bed for two nights and it was a great deal. 160 Rand per night and had the whole room to myself. There were only about 2 other guests in the hostel while I was there. It was about a 20 min walk to boulders beach to see the penguins which were awesome. Great location and friendly staff. I don't see how people could write bad reviews for the place.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank deepdiver492
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Passing by we stopped for a room at this backpacker since it was on the Coast to Coast book. We rang the bell maybe 4 times until somebody opened the door. We walked up to the Information desk. The guy behind the desk didn't look at us and we waited maybe 4 minutes until he finished to scribble something on a paper. After he finally looked up and and we asked for a double room he did not move. After we tried again and asked if we could see the room first he got really pissed and showed us the room. We wanted to make sure that it was a double room and not a dorm (since it had more beds inside) the guy freaked out. He almost yelled at us that this is a double room as we asked. Fortunately we told him thank you and left this place. The guy was for sure on drugs. Unfriendly, aggressive, rude and not at all on a normal behavior. Don't bother to even go inside.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have been to many hostels during my travel years but this was definetly the worst. Not because of the accomadation or cleanliness but because of the owner:
I had to switch room during my stay because they were overbooked, so Keneth (the owner) told me to put my lugguage out in the lobby. When I came back that night, my suitcase was taken by some travel organisation. No biggy. . . I told him to please take care of it and he promised that it will be back by the next morning. It wasn't!!!! It arrived late at night that night. I asked Keneth for compensation since I couldnt use medicine, hygiene products etc. We agreed over the phone but was notably angry.
When I used the kitchen that night he STORMED in with HEAVY ALCOHOL on his breath and physically attacked me and CUSSED at me. His colleague had to force him out with physical violance.
I was with my girlfriend and she was very scared that night. This is really sad. I wish this hostel would close down and get organized. I dont easily dislike people but this man should be removed. I am angry and sad and all the compensation in the world couldnt make up for this.
DO NOT GO TO THIS HOSTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple