“Tranquility”

Budmarsh Country Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
“Tranquility”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was exceptionally impressed with Budmarsh during our first overnight stay. We had been to their amazing Sunday Lunches a few times before so we knew to have high expectations.

We were in room 3, upstairs near to the pool area and the room was stunning. We had out own semi-private balcony. I had read a large amount about the resort on trip advisor and some of the comments did have me concerned about the potential pitfalls of staying over.

Our bathroom was more than fine, it admittedly was not of the latest styling, but the finishes were neat, the bath was huge and the selection of little bottles, boxes etc was exciting! The heated towel rail and plus bathrobes were also a treat!

The food was exceptional, we literally lived our days waiting for it to reach the next meal time and wondering what new delight would be on offer! The presentation was so good that you wanted to photograph each course before eating it, but the venue is sufficiently classy that such an action would seem slightly unbecoming!

The attention to detail was amazing and we felt that we were being waited upon all of the time, there was always a friendly waiter to take an order. I also liked the fireplace that was always on in the lounge and the delicious biscuits which scattered under glass domes on all of the coffee tables. The delicious cake which was served for tea on the Saturday was just the kind of something extra which really makes you feel taken care of.

The rooms were pleasantly warm, and well sound proofed, we could not hear guests in any of the rooms near ours. We were often surprised to see how many guests arrived for dinner at night because you did not get the impression during the day and early evenings that there were so many people all staying in the hotel.

The attention to detail is evident, we were treated to dinner in the wine cellar on an evening when there were only two guests and also treated to breakfast room service the following morning.

We will definitely be back as we have already booked our next get away to Budmarsh

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lynnea44
Ken_and_Meg_Fargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
We hope you posted your food photos on Trip Advisor! Glad you have booked again and we look forward to seeing you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Budmarsh is just amazing, serene and perfect for a relaxing weekend away from the city. All the staff were very friendly and helpful to our every need, we really were made to feel special.

The artwork that is dinner is beyond words, make sure you go with an open mind and empty stomach because 6 courses every evening is a lot to finish!
At breakfast, you must order a Budmarsh crumpet - it's a party on your taste buds!

The attention to detail in everything is noticeable, from the cleaning to the added extras. They even baked me a delicious chocolate cake on super last minute request!

Seeing chocolate truffles on my pillow after dinner every night just always made my day!

The beds are comfy, the jacuzzi blissful and the fireplace inviting.

We had room 7, the view is okay but would have preferred a room that overlooked the lake. On the downside it's opposite a large dairy farm and the cows don't smell too great (you can only smell them when you outside though).

Either than that everything is perfect! Truly a 5 star experience and I will definitely do it again soon.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Masindi S
We loved your food reviews! Some people think there isn't enough food - but Budmarsh is not the place to "stuff your face" with steak and chips. The "party on your taste buds" comment is just delightful...
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently spent a weekend at Budmarsh lodge and I was so impressed at the attention to detail and special little touches. It is a quiet, tranquil spot where one can truly relax and unwind.

The food is unbelievable! Definitely one of the best restaurants in South Africa.

The staff are all friendly and attentive, and service is of a high quality.

I strongly recommend this little paradise.

Room Tip: Book the picnic lunch and high tea - it's well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DeborahAremband
Wow - best restaurant in South Africa??!! We blush! But thrilled with your commendation. Please come back to our little Paradise....
Johannesburg
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me say at the outset that I LOVE Budmarsh.(see my previous review )
I love the restfulness...the service...the food...the home from home atmosphere.
But this visit I have mixed feelings.
We needed a good rest so Budmarsh was an obvious choice for a heavenly 4 night break.
The first day/night was excellent as always. Fabulous service, excellent dinner, fire places already going when we returned after dinner, electric blanket already on (a treat in the icy Gauteng winter !)
The second day was a real challenge, since there was strikes and unrest in Magaliesburg. Understandably the staff from the village were unable to come to work...so The Front Office Manager jumped in to assist as much as possible...making coffees/taking orders for dinner/serving dinner/keeping the lounge fire burning... etc etc.
Whilst I understand the difficulty of striking workers, it was most disconcerting that once The Front Office manager left...We were on our own. We were told by the F&B manager that there would be no one there at night..But that the doors would be locked . If there was a problem in the night to assemble in the front of the hotel, but not to worry because there were other senior staff staying somewhere on the premises, and should there be a fire, they would assist.
This made me feel extremely uncomfortable....For my family to be alone in the hotel during a time of unrest , ( with no staff around at all)
Well dinner was excellent...but of course the little niceties like the fire going and biscuits in the room etc were missing ( can be forgiven since the strike made it extremely difficult for the hotel.)
Once again we prevailed on the front office to help with the fires...the switches are very temperamental, so after struggling some time...the fires were going.
Eventually on the 4th day, strikes had stopped, and staff were all back.
The hotel filled with a conference. Bang went the tranquillity...lots of loud fun and laughter , thankfully quieting down round midnight.
During the day...everything was geared to the conference. It felt like we were intruding...since we were the only leisure people in the hotel...clearly we were an imposition.
Special mention must be made of the 5* dinners...Each night was a treat.Thank you to the chefs and Budmarsh kitchen staff.
Also to your front office manager (sorry I forget his name)...nothing was too much trouble ...what an amazing asset this man is to Budmarsh.
Will I be back...hmm mm...not sure. I'll have to really think about that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharrydk
We do apologize for the strikes and how it affected our service. Unfortunately they were threatened by their houses being burnt down if they came to work - a sorry state of affairs in the whole of South Africa, if not the world.

We are glad that the food met your expectations. Please come again and we'll make your stay more memorable and mention your previous experience so we can make amends.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Budmarsh Country Lodge is the perfect get-away for those seeking a tranquil, warm and inviting time away from the buzz of the City.

The rooms are large, the bed very close to heaven and the bath that you can do the backstroke in, purely delightful. I was also thrilled to see the size of the shampoo, lotion etc was big enough for two and not of inferior quality which is so often the case. I loved the sticker with the logo on the toilet roll! :) Attention to detail is a win for me. The coffee facility in the bedroom was a surprise. A proper filter coffee with home made biscuits. Loved that.

Naturally the ducks, pond and adult size swing where even my African hips fitted in was awesome! I loved it.

The food is absolutely delectable. Executive Chef, Chris Tustian is an artist in taste, value and presentation. Every six course meal is a journey and one I looked forward to at every meal. Perfect combinations and absolute joy. I highly recommend any dish coming from Chris's kitchen!

The venue is suitable for couples or those traveling alone. It is in close proximity to Johannesburg and you are poorer for not visiting, and especially not dining!

My only negative was that Wi-Fi could only properly connect in the lounge and not in the bedroom, but then it reminded me that in that setting I should not be needing contact with the outside world!

A visit to add to your bucket list.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a fireplace in winter.
4 Thank TheNocturnalWenchy
This review really got our chef excited. Although many people do comment on how good the food is, few express it as a journey! Glad you ticked us off on your buckets list - but please visit again!
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I first stayed at Budmarsh a few years ago for one night and then in May this year we stayed for a night in the honeymoon suite for our wedding anniversary. Everything is looking rather dated and in need of some TLC. The grounds are still lovely but everything else is a little worn. The venue now seems to focus rather heavily on conferences, which is fine, but does not bode well for a romantic time away. We read with delight about the new chef and his Michelin star experience, but found the food to be rather dreadful. Quite tasteless, bland and uninteresting - I could not eat my main-course fish, as it was completely overcooked. The manageress asked why I had not eaten it and after speaking to the chef, came back and told us they had given us a "gift" in our room to make up for it. The "gift" was a bottle of sparkling wine, but I would rather have had a nice dinner instead. Very disappointing and we won't be back.

1 Thank Lynnie07
Reviewed 28 May 2014

From Waddling Ducks, to the most amazing food, Budmarsh is our new favorite retreat for a weekend away. From the time you arrive you feel welcomed by the staff and the friendly ducks wondering over the lush green lawns. The picnics are a must for a day or relaxation under a tree. Save yourself for the most amazing 6 course dinners.

We were lucky to have an executive room with a spa bath and balcony overlooking the grounds and nearby lake.

In the evening, relax next to a fireplace with a book from the well stocked library while sipping wine.

it is our new favorite paradise away from home.

6 Thank Zamedic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site

Been to Budmarsh Country Lodge? Share your experiences!