“Terrible service”

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Terrible service

Good
Great location
Rooms are neat, tidy and modern

Bad
My group of friends and I had booked our stay 2 months previously, in the week before we arrived we were told the hotel would be hosting a Group function and they would play music until 10:30pm, which was reasonable. Then it got bad ...the night we arrived we were told that we couldn't order room service as it the hotel was too busy with the function, so we went out for supper. At 11pm, when we wanted to sleep, we heard the music still playing and it was loud. I phoned reception to ask them about the music and no one answered. So I took a walk to the reception and found the General Manager (Braudly) about to go home, I asked him about the music and he said he would ask them to lower the volume. This did not happen and I had a terrible sleep as a result. When we queried this in the morning, Braudly suggested we should have changed our plans when we found out about the Group function.

I wouldn't go back to this place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've just returned from spending a night at this hotel and I was disappointed overall.

My sister made our booking about two months ago. It was a group of 6 of us and we had booked 4 rooms. We wanted to stay in the area because we had booked for a canopy tour nearby.

Early last week, the week of our stay, my sister is told that there will be a company year end function on the night of our stay and so we should make a reservation for dinner elsewhere. The reservations manager was considerate enough to recommend a restaurant and make the booking for us.

On the night of our stay, we contemplated staying in and ordering room service but were told that due to the kitchen being busy with the year end party, we can't order room service.

When we returned from supper, the party was in high gear and we could hear the music quite clearly. Still, we were fine with the party because we expected it to be stopped at a reasonable time, or that we won't be disturbed by it.

When we tried to sleep around 23h30, the thumping of the bass, made it difficult to fall asleep. My husband and I live in the city where we often have to wear ear plugs to sleep so we don't go to the countryside to experience noise. My husband called reception to complain to which there was no answer. We called the bar and spoke to the general manager who wasn't very apologetic or helpful. He kept saying "but we told you there'd be a party tonight" and that he can;t stop the music and that it could go on until 2am.

Also, our bathroom door didn't close, two other guests had no bottled water in their rooms and my sister had no soap in her bathroom and there were water pressure problems with the shower. This is a 4 star establisment but it's more like a 3 star.

They made us feel like we were much less important than the big group they were hosting and the manager even suggested we should have booked at another hotel once we heard of the party!

Unimpressed and won't be going back there

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Magaliesburg hotels

Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I stay in a lot of guesthouses for business but this was for personal. I was quite disappointed in the room. The area is beautiful and staff real friendly. But the room was really old. The linen had holes and the bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom was looking fairy old aswell. Im not sure if this was perhaps only this room that was not updated. Its a beautiful place with a gorgeous pool and flora that is stunning. Just slightly unhappy with conditions of the room and the poor coffee and tea making facilities. The milk was sour!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Eugene C, Manager at Magalies Manor, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Hi Jemnesia

Thank you for staying with us recently and your feedback received. Your comments have been passed on to the head of housekeeping to ascertain why the room was not inspected thoroughly prior to arrival. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

It is only through feedback that we may improve our service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sincerely

Eugene
Reservations Manager
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great to get out in the country, lovely setting, awesome gardens. Fantastic services and very accommodating for the kids. We had a very comfortable family unit, the staff set up an extra bed for our kids in the room. The food was plentiful and decent quality. The only complaint was that the TV was a bit low to watch when in bed, nothing a few extra pillows could fix.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank FrancMalan
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I spent a weekend with a group of friends at this establishement. The food was great on both nights and the service overall service was good.

This establishement can do with new towels - the one's we had in our room were off-white, hard and looking suspect. Also check you sink taps they need to be replaced.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MandisaM
Eugene C, Public Relations Manager at Magalies Manor, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hi MandisaM

Thank you for staying with us recently and your constructive comments received. We have relayed them to the two heads of department concerned to rectify urgently so that we may ensure our level of quality is maintained.

Sincerely

Eugene
Reservations Manager
East London
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is an ideal retreat for one looking to relax, spend time in nature and just 'be'. Magalies Manor is a beautiful holiday place for familes, couples and individuals. There is enough to do for all groups. This was my first visit and I will definitely book in here again. This country hotel is surrounded by gardens of all shapes and sizes. It also has a beautiful swimming pool. There are a number of small blocks of rooms , all surrounded by stunning gardens. One actually forgets that one is in a hotel and that there are many people around.

The rooms are luxuriously furnished. certainly this establishment subscribes to quality over quantity. Each room carries that personal touch. I loved the beauty of the gardens and the space all around me.

The Hotel staff were very friendly. My special dietary requirements were met and they went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable.
The dining room where I had my dinner was " nothing to write home about", but the terrace, where I had my breakfasts, had breathtaking views of the Magalies panorama.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank liz465
Northam
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Home from home hotel - thatched main buildings and beautiful gardens lend a calm atmosphere to this property. Be there to chill or if you want a busy time, the hotel will organise this for you.
The service is good and friendly, the food is good and wholesome, the rooms are beautifully furnished and of a decent size. Spa treatments can also be organised on site. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

Room Tip: The original rooms have a lovely view of the gardens. Newer rooms have lovely veranda's.