“Update needed”

African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
“Update needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Even though the service levels are good and the spa is great, the rooms are in need of an update.

I stayed in a suite. All nice and clean. However, very dated. In addition the suite's private plunge pool was half empty and not working. Also found it intriguing that I could sit on my patio and watch the neighbor's "private" pool!

Food can best be rated average.

Come on African Pride?! Get Mount Grace back at the level we used to love it!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Sommernet

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service levels and spa.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience. After some investigating, we have identified the problem with the pool and work is scheduled to begin next week.

We always welcome GUEST feedback and I will certainly raise your suggestions regarding the upgrades.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Andy Conn
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

At Mount Grace you will find staff who are friendly and helpful. We were treated with great warmth and hospitality. Our room was cosy and lovely and we had a good sleep in the bed. The heated floor in the bathroom was a lovely touch for my toes. Our spa treatments were really great and incredibly relaxing. Overall we felt really relaxed. Mount Grace is quiet and peaceful and a place to stop and be away from city life. The food we had was really great! Although we were there about 18 months ago and the previous chef was better than the current one. But all in all the experience was awesome and this is our third overnight stay. We love Mount Grace:)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Tanya S

We are thrilled that you had a relaxed stay and enjoyed the extra touches such as our heated bathroom floors.

We pride ourselves in providing warmth and creating a memorable stay for our GUESTS and we are delighted that you experienced that during your recent stay at our establishment.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

PS: We love to hear that you love us:)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

African Pride Mount Grace is an outstanding experience. I decided on the spur of the moment to get away for a few days in order to de-stress and the tranquility - my room faced the tranquil Magaliesburg hills - and dead silence was phenomenal. Attention to detail (white and brown sugar lumps; Nespresso coffee machine; follow up by the GM (Andy Conn) and Guest Manager (Bosele Mogamisi; knowledgeable staff; meticulous evening turn-down and many more) and the great restaurants and spa service made these past few days exceptional. I never go to spas but the spa experience (ask for Lebo) made me de-stress all my future stress for the next year. Such a great experience.

Room Tip: Mid-winter is cold in the Magaliesburg and, so, pack warmly.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Jonathan S

Thank you so much for the OUTSTANDING review.

I have shared your beautiful feedback with the TEAM and you have no idea just how much your comments mean to us.

It was such a pleasure having you stay with us and we cannot wait to welcome you back.

Gaborone, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

great rooms, amazing spa with friendly therapists and great treatments, amazing views of magaliesberg, the on-site restaurants are a disappointment though, even the private one. they could do so much better with the service and the quality of food. but its an amazing destination and I'd definitely go back! only half an hour from Joburg so convenient. the spa gets busy though, book at least 3 or 4 days in advance.

Room Tip: choose a room close to the pool area, or one of the private suites
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear KellyLoeto

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you liked your room and that you had an amazing time at the spa with our friendly therapists.

Since your stay in January, I am proud to say that many changes have taken place to improve service and food quality in both restaurants. I am positive that you will enjoy the experience and noticeable changes on your next stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the country side.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I decided to take my wife for a weekend getaway, As I had just been away on Business and thought it was a nice way to spend some quality time together. I booked a luxury room with a pool even though it was winter I thought there might be a deck with a view and somewhere to sit outside, However this was not the case the room was dark and very cold the bed was lumpy and the pillows where uneven and uncomfortable. My wife called the reception to ask for some Panado as she had a head ache they were unable to supply any type of headache pills I had to drive into town to get some. She also needed a pair of scissors to cut a label out of her dress she wanted to wear they never had a pair of scissors in the whole 5 star hotel. I booked a table at the fine dining restaurant for dinner. When we sat down for dinner they gave me the wine list and we like to drink Merlot Red wines , They never had even one Merlot on their wine list in stock. The waiter suggested another bottle of wine that was R500 odd rand which I was willing to try however when the bill came the bottle of wine was R640. I ordered the duck on the menu and when it arrived it was overcooked. The staff and waiters at the hotel where rude and definitely not the level of a 5 star hotel. I was really disappointed with the night away that cost me over R5000.00. the hotel should be re-evaluated and steps should be taken to drastically improve the facility. I will never go back there again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Warren1980
Dear Warren1980

Thank you so much for the review on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate the time that you took to discuss your feedback with our General Manager and trust that you will afford us another opportunity to restore your faith in us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Recently spent 4 nights in an executive room at Mount Grace. The room was lovely but service was mediocre - by the 3rd night we had managed to get the staff to do a proper turn down but had to keep reminding them.
The restaurants were very poor. When we booked we were told there was a choice of 2 restaurants and a coffee shop. Our first night at their a la carte restaurant was very disappointing, the menu is great but execution and service really bad and the room was freezing as the fire was broken - it was not operational our entire stay. On our second night we decided to visit the buffet restaurant but found it closed - no-one bothered to inform us -we were told that it was because the hotel was not that full - is this our problem? So we were forced to go back to the awful restaurant, which was still just as bad - we did complain and eventually got to speak to the chef who offered to make us a special meal. On our final night we chose to have dinner at De Hoek which was far superior. All in all a very disappointing experience at Mount Grace. We also visited their Spa which was lovely.

Room Tip: The hotel is spreadout but they have golf carts to take you araound
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy W
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Sandy W

Thank you so much for your review and for taking the time to discuss your feedback with our Deputy General Manager while staying with us.

I would like to assure you that all your comments were immediately addressed and rectified.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here last year, in Spring, and it was just what we needed. Relaxing, peaceful, and the staff are so lovely and welcoming. I was 7 months pregnant at the time, but we had a wonderful stay! Hope to go back again soon.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear M V

Thank you so much for your review.

We are delighted to hear that your pre-baby get away was relaxing and peaceful and we cannot wait to have you and the baby stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

GUEST Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
Magalies Manor
#4 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site

Been to African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!