“The Good, Bad and Indifferent...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
London, UK
“The Good, Bad and Indifferent...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Today at 3:44 PM

We booked a two night stay to celebrate an anniversary and had high expectations given the reputation of the hotel. Sadly, the check in should have alerted us that things weren't going to be straightforward as it took three room changes before what we had booked was finally allocated to us. This wasted approximately two hours and in hindsight seems funny, but at the time was rather frustrating. If it clearly states on your booking that we'd booked a suite with a punge pool, why then give us something different first time out? After flagging this up, they moved us to a room with the pool but had no wifi (which they knew about when they moved us) before finally moving us to a room that was right. I say 'right' in that it became obvious that Mount Grace was nearly empty and the room hadn't been used for a bit so was rather musty. The plunge pool wasn't working properly and it was disheartening to find the surrounding area to be littered with cigarette ends and rubbish. The room itself also needed a thorough dusting. By this time we'd had enough, so just settled for it. The room itself was pleasant enough, but the decor was a little tired. The heated floor in the bathroom and the shower were great, but again, around the edges it needed a good clean. This was a feature across the three rooms we visited, as in each room, there seemed to be something missing or broken. In our final room we didn't have a rack to put the suitcase on and there was no drawers (apart from the wardrobe) to unpack into. This lack of attention to detail was the theme in the hotel. Once famed for its garden settings, it was a real shame to see how neglected it was. The pathways, for example, to get back to reception were covered in bird poo and rubbish - such an easy thing to recfify. Two chalets - no123 were half demolished with the roof off - but no attempt had been made to shield the rubble from view apart for a bit of plastic tape. All the time we were there, there was no evidence of work on it. This 'didn't care' attitude sadly prevailed and you got the feeling the hotel was surviving on its previous reputation. Sadly, those days are gone and this is now not good enough.

And now for the good news. Over our two days we had made quite a few bookings in the spa and I honestly can say it was flawless. My therapist, Desiree, was superb and had just the right mix of chat and quiet throughout the treatments. From the check in all was carefully thought of and the treatment rooms were very well appointed. Attention to detail was not spared here and the spa readily matches anything offered by the best spas worldwide. The staff here took a real pride in their work and made sure their customers were happy. This really was the highlight of our trip. The staff who run the spa really need to take over the hotel to show them how it should be done. To them, nothing was too much trouble and they were clearly proud of the service they provided.

For our two nights we had booked into the 'Rambling Vine' restaurant. This sets itself up to be smart, but again, fails to meet the mark overall. Number one - I know you want to create an ambience -but the lighting level was so ridiculously low that it was practically impossible to read the menu! This needs to be addressed. Nouvelle cuisine was sort of the way they wanted to go, but this didn't always work as some dishes were just too messed with to work overall. They also need to take down the old menus from the Internet as what was offered in the restaurant doesn't match. Starters were ok, mains were outstanding (i particularly enjoyed the fillet and my partner the springbok loin) and the desserts were forgettable as they just messed with traditional puddings too much to over complicate things. What let them down was staff service as several times we had to ask for cutlery, butter, (the bread when it was forgotten) and their wine menu is somewhat hit and miss as a lot seems to be out of stock. To their credit, on the second night we were given a free bottle of wine in return for our comments on it. What we also found bizarre was that on the two nights we ate there, we had pre-dinner drinks from the bar just outside. On both nights we had the same drinks, but there was a R140 difference in the price charged. As you can guess, staff training is therefore hit and miss and is affecting the quality of what they are trying to achieve. On the topic of food, I should also say that the breakfast buffet in the morning was excellent - super choices and all fresh and inviting.

So, our overall feelings for this visit were somewhat conflicting. One one hand, the spa was delightful, but the hotel really needs to sort their act out, otherwise they will lose even more custom and their once famed reputation - and once a repuration goes, it is almost impossible to regain. I understand they rely a lot on conferences for their business, but this is no excuse to neglect their other customers. Currently, I could not therefore say this hotel is more that 3 stars and it is the staff and attention to detail that is costing them this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank termon
ProteaHotels, General Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear termon

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback about your stay at our hotel.

The spa really does do a great job and I will be sure to share your comments with them and congratulate Desiree on a job well done.

It is clear from your review that we have dropped the ball and for that we are extremely sorry. The incorrect room at check in and the various other areas where you point out concerns do not reflect the high standard that we aim to achieve.

Attention to detail is very important and I have taken steps to implement additional training to address this. GUEST feedback is the best way for us to judge our offering and it saddens me to read your review.

I would very much like to discuss this with you further and request that you contact me directly at gm@mountgrace.co.za.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience true African Pride hospitality.

African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel before, and was dissapointed with my recent stay. Reception was not very welcoming. Check in time is 3 pm and check out at 11 am. The biggest dissapoinment is the poor quality if the food.
The overall qaulity of the hotel was far more exclusive and superior before. The WiFi is very slow. The setting and surrounds are beautiful though, but cannot reccomend this hotel at this stage.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear PierreZA

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

African Pride Hotels strives to achieve excellence and the best GUEST service. Reading your review does not reflect that and I apologise for your disappointing experience.

I would like to assure you that your comment has been discussed and shared with the Front Office TEAM and I will continue to monitor this. Furthermore, I have taken the time to assess the comments around food quality. The chef and I are working together to correct and improve our food offering.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Even though the service levels are good and the spa is great, the rooms are in need of an update.

I stayed in a suite. All nice and clean. However, very dated. In addition the suite's private plunge pool was half empty and not working. Also found it intriguing that I could sit on my patio and watch the neighbor's "private" pool!

Food can best be rated average.

Come on African Pride?! Get Mount Grace back at the level we used to love it!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sommernet

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service levels and spa.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience. After some investigating, we have identified the problem with the pool and work is scheduled to begin next week.

We always welcome GUEST feedback and I will certainly raise your suggestions regarding the upgrades.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

At Mount Grace you will find staff who are friendly and helpful. We were treated with great warmth and hospitality. Our room was cosy and lovely and we had a good sleep in the bed. The heated floor in the bathroom was a lovely touch for my toes. Our spa treatments were really great and incredibly relaxing. Overall we felt really relaxed. Mount Grace is quiet and peaceful and a place to stop and be away from city life. The food we had was really great! Although we were there about 18 months ago and the previous chef was better than the current one. But all in all the experience was awesome and this is our third overnight stay. We love Mount Grace:)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Tanya S

We are thrilled that you had a relaxed stay and enjoyed the extra touches such as our heated bathroom floors.

We pride ourselves in providing warmth and creating a memorable stay for our GUESTS and we are delighted that you experienced that during your recent stay at our establishment.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

PS: We love to hear that you love us:)

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

African Pride Mount Grace is an outstanding experience. I decided on the spur of the moment to get away for a few days in order to de-stress and the tranquility - my room faced the tranquil Magaliesburg hills - and dead silence was phenomenal. Attention to detail (white and brown sugar lumps; Nespresso coffee machine; follow up by the GM (Andy Conn) and Guest Manager (Bosele Mogamisi; knowledgeable staff; meticulous evening turn-down and many more) and the great restaurants and spa service made these past few days exceptional. I never go to spas but the spa experience (ask for Lebo) made me de-stress all my future stress for the next year. Such a great experience.

Room Tip: Mid-winter is cold in the Magaliesburg and, so, pack warmly.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Jonathan S

Thank you so much for the OUTSTANDING review.

I have shared your beautiful feedback with the TEAM and you have no idea just how much your comments mean to us.

It was such a pleasure having you stay with us and we cannot wait to welcome you back.

Gaborone, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

great rooms, amazing spa with friendly therapists and great treatments, amazing views of magaliesberg, the on-site restaurants are a disappointment though, even the private one. they could do so much better with the service and the quality of food. but its an amazing destination and I'd definitely go back! only half an hour from Joburg so convenient. the spa gets busy though, book at least 3 or 4 days in advance.

Room Tip: choose a room close to the pool area, or one of the private suites
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear KellyLoeto

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you liked your room and that you had an amazing time at the spa with our friendly therapists.

Since your stay in January, I am proud to say that many changes have taken place to improve service and food quality in both restaurants. I am positive that you will enjoy the experience and noticeable changes on your next stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the country side.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I decided to take my wife for a weekend getaway, As I had just been away on Business and thought it was a nice way to spend some quality time together. I booked a luxury room with a pool even though it was winter I thought there might be a deck with a view and somewhere to sit outside, However this was not the case the room was dark and very cold the bed was lumpy and the pillows where uneven and uncomfortable. My wife called the reception to ask for some Panado as she had a head ache they were unable to supply any type of headache pills I had to drive into town to get some. She also needed a pair of scissors to cut a label out of her dress she wanted to wear they never had a pair of scissors in the whole 5 star hotel. I booked a table at the fine dining restaurant for dinner. When we sat down for dinner they gave me the wine list and we like to drink Merlot Red wines , They never had even one Merlot on their wine list in stock. The waiter suggested another bottle of wine that was R500 odd rand which I was willing to try however when the bill came the bottle of wine was R640. I ordered the duck on the menu and when it arrived it was overcooked. The staff and waiters at the hotel where rude and definitely not the level of a 5 star hotel. I was really disappointed with the night away that cost me over R5000.00. the hotel should be re-evaluated and steps should be taken to drastically improve the facility. I will never go back there again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Warren1980
Dear Warren1980

Thank you so much for the review on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate the time that you took to discuss your feedback with our General Manager and trust that you will afford us another opportunity to restore your faith in us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

GUEST Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
Valley Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site
Forum Homini Hotel
Forum Homini Hotel
#1 of 6 in Muldersdrift

Been to African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!