“Our stay at Hornbill”

Ranked #1 of 10 Magaliesburg B&B and Inns
Roodepoort
“Our stay at Hornbill”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had a awesome 3 days at hornbill lodge. The staff was warm and friendly, the weather was perfect. The premises are stunning, we were so lucky to share the opening of their new water feature. It is a moment we will always remember. We loved the warm restaurant, food and fireplace. Stella the donkey has an awesome personality, and gave us some laughs. We will definitely come back and visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chantal R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sandton
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My experience over the weekend at this venue was average. I agree that it is currently not in the 4* category. The rooms are dated but could quickly be updated by simply hanging lighter curtains instead of the ones that are hanging now which brings the rooms down and making it look dark and dingy. On the plus side, I noticed that they are revamping the swimming pool which will look picture perfect upon completion. The service we received was excellent and they did everything in their power to make our stay comfortable and relaxing - the big fireplace in the lounge is a great asset and we enjoyed a nice bottle of wine in front of it. I think with a little bit of love and attention this could really be a stunning venue. I will wait until summer time when everything is green and lush and the renovations done before I visit this venue again - I think they deserve a second chance.

Room Tip: This is a place for animal lovers (specifically dogs) and I will most certainly not recommend it if...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank MariaW007
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This lodge is rated as a 4 star establishment but is definitely not up at that level now. I would classify as closer to a 2 star. Rooms very dated with dusty artificial flowers and old fashioned home made furnishings. Food in restaurant OK although with very limited menu. Cannot really enjoy lounge and bar facilities due to any dogs occupying their places on lounge suite. Friendly welcoming staff
This could be a really nice venue but definitely needs some money and TLC first

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann C
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The rooms are big but they were kitted out in the 1980's. We had a CitySlicker voucher but ended up leaving and going to a hotel in the town. 4 star NOT! This was a very disappointing venu and people need to be warned. There is also a 3 legged dog running around that is creepy.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank WarrenTeg
Reviewed 9 January 2013

i bought a groupon voucher and surprised my husband with a weekend away for his birthday. Cobie was very accommodating with the birthday surprise plans - champagne breakfast in bed, they even sang "Happy Birthday!" when they walked into the room. They made my husband's favourite dessert and had a small cake for him. the room was very spacious. there was a dirty towel and the lady of the lodge took a bit of getting used to, her answers to seemingly innocent questions were a bit defensive. The lodge offers a picnic in secluded areas near the river. We were wathced from above as I think the spot we had was a viewing point for the public. Not quite as private as we had hoped. The picnic food was not very nice. I'm not sure of the 4-star rating, but a nice enough weekend away.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank nev b
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My family and I recently spent a weekend at Hornbill. We came away with mixed feelings regarding our stay. The positives were friendly staff, beautiful surroundings, good breakfast, large room. Major negative was cleanliness of linen and towels. The bed and pillows had a body odour smell and the towels were not clean and smelled of smoke. The lodge also has dogs that often run into the restaurant/bar area and jump onto couches and cushions - not very hygienic. Furnishing are old and scruffy. Bar is poorly stocked. The place is definitely not 4 stars.....

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelvin P
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My husband and I bought a 2 night stay at the Hornbill Lodge on Groupon. There were some lovely things about this lodge but also a few things that would make us question this hotel's 4 star rating.

Just outside Magaliesburg the setting is lovely, a very small lodge set in a nice open space, here are a few dogs running around, it also has a small avery as well 2 pot bellied pigs and a donkey! There is also a lovely Terrance next to quite a large swimming pool.

We somehow ended up with a family style room- not a problem as it had a nice double bed and 2 single beds, the air conditioning was also fantastic and DSTV was provided so my husband could watch the all important Currie Cup Final. The major problem with our room was the shower, it had practically no pressure and the temperature was very difficult to control.

Breakfast was included within our booking and it was lovely as was our waiter. However these are the only positive things I can say about the restaurant. There was no vegetarian choice for the evening meal which was most certainly a problem for me- we ended up eating elsewhere! When we returned later in the evening for a drink at the bar they were missing a few of what I would call standard drinks including vodka, cinzano and rum.

All in all we had a nice stay at The Hornbill lodge, I certainly cannot fault the hospitality of the staff but nevertheless as outlined there were a few things that could do with improvements!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple