“Luxurious Oasis with great Staff”
Review of Valley Lodge & Spa

Valley Lodge & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My wife and I stayed 1 night at superior room no 12, next to pool. Stylish, modern and luxurious. Underfloor heating. Spacious bathroom with big tub and a spacious twin-shower ;-). Own patio. All facilities in top shape, new or well maintained. Spa very tasteful, spacious and quality treatment. Restaurant breakfast very good, lunch menu selection & quality good. Staff very attentive and great in assisting me with little surprise for my wife. Good attention to detail. For longer stays I would get to know/plan activities in the (beautiful) area as immediate surrounds/ village not appealing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Floh T

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked this on a groupon deal, which included a massage & manicure/pedicure. The superior room is really spacious & is quite contemporary when compared to the surroundings. We had a couple of issues with the electric blanket & ac, which on a really cold weekend made the room quite cold & uncomfortable. The electric blanket was sorted out by the second night. Unfortunately the advertise underfloor heating only applies to the bathroom & half the bedroom....

All round I would say that the resort has all the necessities & in warmer weather could be enjoyable, the spa was reasonably good but not great. The food however is at best average, the selection is quite limited so the buffet is the only option for dinner. For cost of the standard rates, I would rather stay at the Mount Grace up the road.....

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank morars
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My wife and I had really wonderful stay here. We stayed in a superior room, no 36, which was spectacular. Large and modern with all the comforts you need. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Our waiter Bornface and the chef Annie were both exceptional. Will definitely return.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We enjoyed every single second of our stay. I phoned beforehand to arrange the romantic turn down for the room. We arrived on a very cold Wednesday afternoon to find the underfloor heating, the heater and the warm blankets switched on, with rose pedals and candles and the sweetest I love you spelled out on the bed. It was so nice we did not want to leave the room, so we ordered room service and a board game. It was not long before our food arrived, deliciously prepared and made to perfection. The wine they suggested complemented the meal fantastically. The next morning we had a quick meal and went to the spa to get our full body massages. Wow, what a treat! The ladies were fantastic and really worked out all of our kinks. All staff were so friendly and professional it was a wonderful day and they made it so special. We did not want to leave and will be returning there for sure!

Room Tip: The superior suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LandiAndLovey
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I booked 2 double rooms at Valley Lodge for my husband and I and another couple (friends). The booking was done using a Groupon voucher for two nights including dinner, bed and breakfast. On arrival I was quite impressed with the quick check in and was even more thrilled with the room, which was large and beautiful. The bathroom was palatial and well equipped. I thought we had made the best decision by staying there. Famous last words…

The room is supposed to include under-floor heating, electric blankets and air-conditioners for heating. After check-in we wanted a nap and the room was very cold but there were no electric blankets and under-floor heating did not work. We requested assistance and were then provided with one electric blanket (for one side of the bed) and were told that the external switch for the under-floor heating had tripped and would be switched on. At dinner time we complained about the lack of electic blankets and under-floor heating as the room was now bitterly cold. The receptionist just looked at us like we were crazy and refused to help. We complained to a helpful person named Margaret who promised to help. Supper was good but some of the food was lukewarm as opposed to hot – especially the soup. When we returned to our room the under-floor heating was still not working and the second electric blanket provided was not working. The airconditioner did not work either. It was an awful night.

In the morning the bathroom flooded when we had a bath and much of the clothing hanging over the bath-tub was wet and the used clothing on the floor was soaked. We complained and were told we would be moved to another room. We were at the spa for much of the day, which is beautiful (especially the indoor pool) but lacking in sufficient amenities such as lotions, hairdryers and slippers!! When you make the booking you are not told that slippers are not provided, which I felt was ridiculous.
We returned to the room and it looked like everything was fine but the bathtub would not seal so I could not soak in the tub after a massage. We went for dinner and on return found that we again only had one electric blanket and the under-floor heating was not working. I called for an electric blanket and was told that house-keeping was not available. I made a fuss and insisted on getting one and when someone finally did bring one it did not work! Again the night was cold and miserable.

The next morning we just wanted to get out of the place - but there was no hot water to bath. So despite the freezing night we could we had cold baths. Our friends had very similar experiences and were also very disappointed. Furthermore, they had a child who cried all night because it was so cold.

The amenities in the rooms were of poor condition, no hairdryer as promised, broken bath-tubs and soap holders and the kettle had a layer of grime at the bottom – just awful. Only Margaret was helpful, the rest of the staff were not at all interested in our complaints. I will not return to Valley Lodge again. I would rather stick to tried and trusted Mount Grace.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank yuriramkissoon
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Arrived on the 24th July on a groupon voucher discount for 2 nights for 2. Bought it for mothers day.
I was grateful they agreed to postpone the voucher as it was expired. All was well until we had 1. the spa treatment. Liza the lady in charge couldn't care less or even offer assistance with the choosing the best treatment for your stress level. After the treatment she still couldn't be bothered whether u enjoyed it or were disgusted by it. She assumes everyone has had a spa and those who've never then that's your own problem. I always review spas. Mount grace deserves the excellent reviews. Then buffet supper-terrible,only the salmon was delicious. The rest,amateur cooking.Then from 9pm-11pm a so called group of musicians decided to have a rave. We reported this noise 3x @ the desk and their final response was that "they are testing their equipment" It doesn't help that they were noisy in the morning as well. This when I decided to write this review. Initially I thought they were warm so I'd over look the less than 4 star treatment. I got slightly ticked off as I'm a light sleeper and had come out to the wilderness to rest. Mind you the train will be coming soon...

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We loved our stay at Valley Lodge.
Staff are super friendly.
The rooms are stunning.
we arrived to a beautiful warm room. The floors are heated, even in the bathroom. The heated blanket was already on. It was really welcoming. huge comfy bed. His and her shower and basin and large tub. such a treat.
There a large lounge area in the main building with huge fire places.
We had a 2 treatments at the spa and it was world class. super moder funishings.
new equipment in the gym, 3 tennis courts, beautiful grounds to have a stroll.
The buffet was very good with excellent selection.
Was really an amazing weekend away.
I cant wait to book again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChristineCil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
Magalies Manor Hotel
#9 of 12 in Rustenburg
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site

Been to Valley Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!