“Pleasant but lacking management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Randburg
Diaz Surrey Street Hotel
Ranked #31 of 54 Randburg B&B and Inns
Cambridge, England
“Pleasant but lacking management”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

*This hotel is in a business district and there are no shops or restaurants nearby. *

I stayed at this hotel for five nights recently. My room was fine with an extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was spacious and clean, although the towel rail came off in my hand. A quick fix and I had it back on the wall in a jiffy.
The staff were incredibly pleasant and friendly, however they didn't offer any information unless asked. For instance, I checked in and was given a welcome as if I was a long lost friend, but no information as to where the restaurant was, meal times, check out times, the shuttle bus - anything that a hotel receptionist tells their clients. Once I found out (from someone where I was working) that they would drive me to the local mall so I could visit a restaurant, they were very happy to take me.
The restaurant continued in the same higgledy piggledy vein. Not one of the tables was set correctly. One would have spoons missing, another napkins, another the salt pot... I don't think the table cloths were changed regularly either, as I spilt some milk on a table at breakfast one morning and it was still there the next morning. The food was tasty in a home cooked way, but certainly not what I would expect from a four star hotel. Likewise, on some mornings there was no fresh fruit available, only canned fruit. This is the fruit basket of the world!

With the correct management this hotel could be excellent. Unfortunately they are missing a business opportunity and will continue to alienate their clients until changes are made.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RoamingAuditor

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night. The booking was made by a third party. What a disappointment! The carpets are full of stains and you don't get the feeling of clean at arrival. I had to find my own way to my room. My room was spacious and at a glance it seemed fine. Then the problems started. First the shower drain was completely blocked, trying to go to sleep I discovered my fitted and top sheet was never cleaned. I could still see the sleep creases from the previous guest. Trying to phone housekeeping the room's telephone did not work. I used my own mobile to phone the hotel reception. The gentleman came to my room and informed me that there was no one who could help and he needs to move me to another room.
The new room seemed to be better only to find that there was no globes in the bedside lamps and when I turned the duvet to go to sleep the cover had a yellow rust stain on it. If that was not enough the duvet covet also had a big hole in another area. This room phone did not work either. The food was average and the service poor. The tables were poorly set with two pepper pots on one table. In general this was a terrible experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AGJJV

Travellers are raving about these Randburg hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Diaz on Surrey a couple of times over the last few years. We've noticed a decline in service during our last stay. Overall the hotel isn't managed well. There was apparent lack of supervision of the dining room and office staff. Our last morning they had run out of breakfast and were hard pressed to make anymore, including coffee. Our duvet cover was torn, there was no hand towel in the bathroom. The door to the suite wouldn't shut properly, we needed to use the key to close the door and the chain was broken, so there was no way to secure the door. We used their laundry facilities, but the washing machine broke down and it took 3 days for us to get our laundry cleaned. We were very disappointed and will not be using this hotel again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel during the month of March 2013 and stayed here for 7 nights. The location for me was very convenient as I had business to do a few blocks away. I'd put this restaurant at about a 3.5 stars. But then again it's quite decent.

The room I was in had a very comfortable double bed with a balcony that over looked a lot of greenery. While the standard of the room was okay, there were many black ants crawling around the entire room and I hope the hotel can sort this out with some pest control. TV as mentioned in the other reviews could do with a slight upgrade and the hotel could make sure all the mentioned channels are working.

There is a restaurant located on the 1st floor of the hotel and in there they have a separate area for a conference room, which is good if you are looking to do large meetings. The food I would say is to an okay standard and can be better. The restaurant staff are extremely friendly and do their best to make sure you are satisfied. I hope the hotel can look to improving its menu offering.

The staff at the hotel are also very nice, professional and they too went a long way in making sure I was content during my stay. They offered to send someone out to the nearest garage to buy me razor blades, which I had forgotten to take. One of the staff even offered to drive me to where I would like to go in the vicinity. This hotel is close to the open air Bright Water Commons Shopping mall.

I would like to note here as a warning that you should be wary of the transport company the hotel uses for airport transfers and trips within the city. I would choose not to mention the name of that transport company here, but I would surely like to mention that I had a very difficult time with them. You are better off booking a taxi from the airport to the hotel and there's other avenues to seek transport within the city such as renting a car or sorting out a taxi yourself.

All in all I had an ok stay, there's room for improvement at this hotel and they could be very good if they make them.

I hope this review has made it easier in deciding where you wish to stay in Johannesburg.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ansley_21
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 25 August 2013

With a four star rating I expected far more from this hotel. On arrival nobody helped me with my bags to my room. The welcome letter in my room had my name completely incorrectly spelt. The person's letter who had previously stayed in my room was still lying around. The TV was an old TV and none of the satellite stations were working. There isnt even a remote control. This looks like an old block of flats that has been converted into a hotel. Very disappointing.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank miephenk
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 June 2013

So the place is not inviting from the outside and quite frankly I was taken aback when we entered the reception area - very nice set up with friendly smiling staff. A work group used this venue for goal setting. The conference room is big enough and we had plenty space, plenty mint sweets :-) and plenty water. The decor is a bit staid and can do with a modern facelift, most of the floor space is carpeted. The ablution facilities is spotlessly clean, restaurant staff are very friendly and efficient. The biggest upside was the lunch - we opted for a buffet style menu and it was really delicious and quite a variety of different dishes to select from. We also served ourselves and there was plenty. Not a bad venue for a private dinner party or birthday celebration.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lucrecia1511
Kenton-on-Sea, South Africa
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Let me start with the positives: Friendly staff (one even took me to a nearby shopping mall and picked me up again at the agreed upon time). Bedroom and bedding - clean. Nice bathroom with both a bath and a shower. As this was a business trip, I stayed for three nights - so it meant 3 times breakfast. The food was enough, but boring. No one offered eggs differently than the already dry fried eggs, and the choice of fruit was limited. BUT on the last morning their was fresh fruit salad and bananas! I only had one dinner in the restuarant (I was the only person to be served!). Again, friendly staff, but the food - well I could get more value for the same price elsewhere, and the malva pudding was dry!. In the room there was an old TV, and for the normal SABC channels not a problem, but on the hotel's list it indicated many channels that was not available. (Kyknet was on the list - not available; MTN was on the list, I could view, with no sound. But I think what bothered me the most was the dangerous lifts (elevators). On the first evening, when I came back at 8pm, I got into the lift, but the door did not want to open on the 2nd floor. I tried to ring the bell - but nothing happened. I pressed the button to go the ground floor, and with relief I stepped out. I told the person at reception about the problem, and the answer was: Try the other lift. The next morning after breakfast I had to calm other guests who could not get from the first floor to the second floor (same problem), but at least I knew to go to the ground floor and get into the other lift! I reported it again, and I just feel the response was too casual. "Ok, I think we should service the lifts again." Will I stay there again? Yes I will, because I think all in all it was not too bad, and it is close to the offices that I have to go to!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo