“Average trip to elephant sanctuary, monkey sanctuary, and lesedi cultural village”

Thorntree Tours and Safaris Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Thorntree Tours and Safaris offer safe excursions around Johannesburg. Day trips to Soweto, Apartheid Museum, Cradle of Humankind, Pretoria, Diamond Mine, Johannesburg City. Safaris to the Lion Park, Rhino and Lion Park - Half day tours. Pilanesburg Game Reserve - full day or overnight safari. Safari Lodge bookings with transport in our luxury vehicles. Kruger National Park - From Budget to Luxury - Fly or escorted tours Experienced friendly guide provides interesting tours that are flexible to suit your interests.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked with Lyn solely based on tripadvisor reviews. Lyn was an average tour guide with high prices for the quality of the tour. Lesedi cultural village was an ok attraction advertised as African dancing and singing in a cultural village. It involved many of the dancers just changing outfits for seven different dances. At the monkey and elephant sanctuary Lyn was very interested in her interaction with the animals and staff and was always first to engage in animal interactions before we had the chance. After the tour we discovered that the majority of our pictures were of Lyn or had Lyn in them rather than us. However, Lyn ended up with some very nice pictures of herself and shared with us all of the nice pictures she had a friend take of her with the animals on our tour. Of course the monkeys all liked her-she kept biscuits in her pocket for them! We could have done all of these tours on our own without a guide, however getting a taxi to these locations is difficult. We ended up cancelling our tour to the Apartheid Museum, as we decided we didn't need to pay Lyn outrageous prices to just drop us off at the museum and pick us up a few hours later.

Lyn M, Owner at Thorntree Tours and Safaris Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hello, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review regarding your recent tour. The same family as the previous post for the same date, this time just Mom and one daughter on this trip. You enjoyed the Lesedi Cultural Visit, perhaps you would write a review for this attraction. Elephant Sanctuary, your daughter loved the interaction and well as the Monkey Sanctuary. I visit these places often, and the one monkey knows me well, so it is not possible to avoid him sitting on my shoulder. You booked the next day to Soweto and Apartheid Museum, full day with lunch at R1100 per person including entrance fees. This is not outrageously priced at all. It was a pity that you decided to cancel this tour, I know you would have enjoyed my commentary as my other guests have done in the past. I appreciated your support and wish you well in future travels.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"pilanesberg"
"driver"

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Lyn guided us to the Rhino and Lion Park and Sterkfontein Caves during our stay in South Africa. We had booked a few tours through Lyn (only based on her reviews on tripadvisor). She arrived late to pick us up at our accommodation. After we got in the car and on our way she advised us that instead of going to the Apartheid Museum as planned we would go to the Craddle of Humankind and the Rhino and Lion Park (these were part of our itinerary for the following day). It would have been nice if we had some advanced notice on this change so we could accommodate our clothing and camera choices appropriately. Lyn's prices were very comparable to similar tours offered by different companies. Overall, the tours were average and her role was more as a chauffeur rather than a tour guide. She just drove us to Sterkfontein Caves and paid the counter for a tour guide and told us where to meet him.

Hello, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review regarding your recent tour. You were a mom and 2 daughters who booked tours with Thorntree Tours. This review is for the tour taken with Mom and daughters. The other Trip Advisor report for the same date is for the same family, just Mom and one daughter. You booked the tour: Rhino and Lion Park and Cradle of Humankind/Sterkfontein Caves which was a full day and after receiving a quote - you accepted all the tours. I advised you of the change as I arrived because of traffic problems it was better to visit the R&L Park instead of the Soweto tour. I apologised for arriving late at the out-of the way Backpackers Lodge where you were staying - I had difficulty finding the place, I had not been there before. You had commentary all the way to the Caves, including inside the Hominid Museum, where I explained the exhibits in detail. You stood next to me when I paid Entrance fees at the window. I walked you into the museum and when the"Site Guide" arrived you joined the group of others to go underground. They are the only guides permitted to guide in the Caves. I did not pay a guide to take you underground. This is how the tour is. We then visited the Rhino and Lion Park as well, and you received full commentary there as well during the tour regarding the animals. Your comment that I am not a Guide but a Chauffer is unfair. I appreciate your visit and wish you well in future travels.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I recently returned from a girls trip to South Africa, and was lucky enough to have Lyn as our guide in Johannesburg. Lyn put together a brilliant itinerary based on our interests, and managed to fit in everything in a short amount of time. We visited Lilliesleaf, Lesedi Cultural Village, shopped up a storm at Amatuli (highly recommended!!), walked with the elephants ( an experience I will never forget), and played with a Cheetah and baby Lions at the Rhino & Lion Park. At all times Lyn was professional, courteous, knowledgable, witty and loads of fun! I work in the travel industry, and Lyn is one of the best tour guides I have come across. Having her as our own private guide was excellent value for money, and the only way to go!! I would highly recommend Lyn - my only regret is that we didn't stay longer!!! Thanks for the trip of a lifetime X

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Thanks to Lyn I had a great day in Africa. I saw a lot and took many great pictures. Lyn was very punctual and well organized. Thank you, Lyn!

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Lyn Mansfield did an absolutely outstanding job of hosting our 17 person group on our trip to South Africa. She was prompt, efficient, and made us feel comfortable upon our arrival in South Africa after our long flight from the U.S. Of special note, one of our group members left her expensive camera on the tour bus when we got dropped off at the airport. This member of our team did not realize this until after we had passed through security and were only 1 hour from departure in the international terminal. We called Lyn and Lyn "flew" into action. She tracked down the bus (she had already separated from the bus after dropping us at the airport), found the camera and then personally returned it to the airport. She then pulled some strings and managed to have the camera delivered to us as we boarded our flight for Malawi...an absolutely amazing effort and reflective of her 100% commitment to taking care of her clients. I would definitely use Lyn Mansfield for ALL travel arrangements in South Africa!