“Potential to be amazing”

Morrells Boutique Estate
Ranked #24 of 166 Restaurants in Randburg
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Morrells Boutique Estate is inspired by timeless vintage elegance of all the modern day amenities, surrounded by beautiful gardens and great attention to detail with a world class service delivery makes Morrells your perfect destination. A visual and sensory indulgence of a bygone era.
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Venue: 10 out of 10
It is a gorgeous venue and has loads of charm and character.
Location: 10 out of 10
Even though it's located next to a busy road, you don't hear it, so that's a bonus.
Ambience: 10 out of 10
They have captured the WOW factor here with authentic French themes all over and spectacular gardens to match.
Service: 9 out of 10
There were 2 couples in the Restuarant and we had to wait a couple times for the waiter to show himself but was very friendly and helpful.
Pricing: 6 out of 10
The menu created a higher expectation than what we received.
Food: 5 out of 10
The starter was bland and desperately needed salt, the fillet was over cooked, we asked it to be medium rare but more on the rare side as any meat connoisseur would want it. The lamb was under done as it should've been more on the medium side as requested and was somewhat runny.
Would I come again? Difficult to answer, as we usually willing to give places a second chance plus we had our eye on the venue for our wedding, so that was very disappointing. Food is a very important aspect to every wedding and if this is anything to go by then we would pass...very very sadly.
Constructive criticism: The venue is perfect and we surprised it isn't packed every night as there are people who would gladly pay for romantic dinners here. It was a disappointment and we hope that the owners would use this to up their game. This would definitely bring us back.

MdPlessis, Managing Director at Morrells Boutique Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your feedback. We appreciate your comments and will surely look into the dinner which did not meet expectations as this is not our usual standard. We would love to have you back at Morrells for a dinner to give us the opportunity to deliver an amazing dining experience, so please contact me directly in this regard.
We are thrilled that you loved the venue, the gardens and ambience and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2016

This Boutique Hotel is set in a very beautiful setting with a Garden Restaurant and an Indoor Restaurant. My friend and I chose to sit in the garden as it was quite a hot day. The Restaurant was very quiet but it was a weekday and maybe they are very busy at night/weekends. This is a good venue for Wedding receptions.

The waiters were so busy talking to each other that we had to keep calling for our waiter when we required something. At one stage I even got up and walked to the bar area to where our waiter had disappeared. Like Sandra H stated, and I fully agree, it was an 'average lunch' with small French like sized portions. The service wasn't good at all and this place is quite expensive. The Soup starter wasn't nice and I left most of it. The waiter didn't bother to ask if there was something wrong. I had Prawns as mains which were mediocre and poor value for the money, and my friend had Steak which she said was quite good.
I was unfortunately, very disappointed...
One good thing to note: In the garden there is a tiny shop selling all sorts of exquisite goodies, including some unusual jewellry. The shop was closed but the Manager had the shop open specifically for my friend and I. Needless to say, we purchased some goodies!

1  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 4 May 2016

Morrells hosted the Glamour Award ceremony which I attended - food was fantastic!! Service was lovely, and the venue incredible. They had prawns in a tomato-based sauce, which was incredible, and the beef skewers very good as well.

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

Morrells is a beautiful boutique hotel in Berario Johannesburg. The venue is truely exquisite and "french". A beautiful day for an outside lunch situated in a corner courtyard. Service was great after disappointing pre visit Service. Food was sadly average and disappointing a very rich boring vegetarian option (veggie pasta) which had to be ordered as there was no veggie option on the menu for the main course. Catch of the day was ok and the 2 deserts disappointing. At R670 with tip and one of the cheapest bottles of wine on the menu it isnt a cheap lunch and was disappointing to say the least. Ill go back for breakfast but will skip lunch. It is an incredible venue.

Reviewed 11 April 2016

Every course was well prepared and beautifully executed. The waiter was very friendly and polite. The taste was phenomenal and we had a wonderful evening. The chef even came out to meet us - which was truly good service. The dessert was truly magical.

My only complaint is that I think the portion sizes are WAY too small for the high prices we paid.