Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg
US$54
Mercure
  • Restaurant
Apollo Conferencing Hotel(Randburg)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$57
Sierra on Main(Randburg)
US$55
US$40
US$153
US$54
Travelocity
Sierra Square Hotel(Randburg)(Great Value!)
US$48
TripAdvisor
The Marion on Nicol(Greater Johannesburg)
US$243
US$180
US$115
US$102
US$601
US$579
Agoda.com
All reviewschef paulheated floorsunderfloor heatingkingklipexcellent stayprawnscomfortable bedshopping centrebusiness tripjohannesburgteamrondavelgardennorthwestbomaaccommodationretreat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This place is very welcoming and supportive of all your needs; Paul the cook is amazing and so is the whole kitchen team- mindful of- and attentive to your wishes.. The 3 course menu too much for me and my guests, who all had their own wish lists but that was catered for as if it wash;t any effort. The rooms in the main house are very spacious, yet a little more noisy (when other guests are having their breakfast/ dinner); Debbie, the manager, a whirlwind that takes care that you are ok- she helped me with a wrong car that I hired from the airport- by actually phoning their office twice and turning the car around for me- while I was working.
The trip from JNB airport an easy one, just mainly highway;
The nearby 4th street a lovely local place to wander around (antique shops and lots of cafe's/ restaurants); We worked at Idwala- several times, hiring their main conference room; a recommendable and professional experience as well.

Room Tip: Main house rooms are very nice and spacious, a little change of hearing other guests when in room 1; Garden suites quiet and a little more living area with a small couch.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tmaria v
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review Idwala - we really appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Best regards from the Idwala Team!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Fantastic place, they organized everything for me, transport from airport to hotel, and to all my destinations. They perfectly made everything as promised.
When they say the food is fresh in the restaurant, it means really fresh, they ask you after breakfast what you would prefer for dinner, then they go and buy it. You just tell the general idea, and they surprise you with great food!
I think this is one of, if not the best place I ever stayed with!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the guest houses, 2-4 rooms in one house, fantastic!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Idwala - we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the dinners you had in our restaurant. For both management and chef this is really rewarding, and we thank you most sincerely for your kind words! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Idwala soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Idwala for over three weeks in October 2013, I do have say that this was most likely the best place I have ever stayed, I travel extensively for work and have traveled world wide and in no other place I've stayed was I made to feel so welcomed. The staff at Idwala really do go out of their way to make you feel at home, and the food, the food is great, many options and if its not on the menu, they still often cook what you want. The food is fresh, and prepared daily. I hope to travel back to South Africa and when I do, I will certainly be staying at Idwala, five star all the way,

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for this wonderful review - we are delighted that you enjoyed your long stay at Idwala and that you were so very satisfied with the meals we served. We really enjoyed having you at Idwala - please do return soon to enjoy more dinners! Best regards from the Idwala Team

Reviewed 20 November 2013

As soon as I looked at Idwala's website, I was drawn in to the magic of this place.
It truly is a hidden, lush oasis tucked away within Jo-Burg.
The photos are amazing and they do capture the curiosity I felt in anticipation of staying here.
A high-end hotel does not come close to rivalling Idwala.
The Garden Rooms were very unique with their circular walls and thatched roofs.
The room was certainly spacious enough accommodating the bed, sitting area, computer counter, big closets, generous size bathroom and bistro-style sitting area outside of the room.
The room was attended to daily and the bed couldn't have been made up any fresher than it was. After coming home from our excursions each day this room was a definite welcoming space to unwind and rest. The Idwala grounds were also very special with their earthly elements of brick, natural stone, plants, trees and flowers. There are lovely bushes of jasmine right outside your door and their fragrance was released each day by the warming sun.
This attentive atmosphere was also present at the main building which housed other guest rooms, a welcoming dining room and an expansive gathering area consisting of 3 distinctive over-sized spaces with full sized sofas, accompanying chairs and huge coffee tables which were perfect for quiet meetings or more social conversations. Outside of this area there was a very lush oasis consisting of a plunge pool with a waterfall, padded recliners and patio tables and chairs. Mother nature was surely inviting those who love to be enfolded by the outdoors. During our stay when we took a break from our sight-seeing, we had our lunches and dinners in this garden setting. Chef Paul offered his 5-star expertise with his unique gourmet meals. Each meal was plated invitingly and all cuts of meat were cooked according to your taste.
A must try is the prawn-avocado salad, breakfast omelette, Chef Paul's Idwala steak and melba pudding dessert. Idwala will also attend to your meals if you get together with friends not staying at the Guest House. My husband had such an opportunity and his guests were quite amazed by this welcoming. The best for last are the people who dedicate their time and service to this wonderful getaway. There is a very pleasant welcome awaiting you as you arrive and each member of the staff will introduce themselves to you - this is the magic. If you are a quiet person and value your privacy then this will be respected by the staff. Likewise if you enjoy a more social visit then the team at Idwala will be glad to hear about your interests in South Africa. If you will be relying on the Guest House to suggest daily excursions then you can expect a most knowledgable tour to be arranged to such places as the Mandela House, the Pilanesberg Game Reserve, the Apartheid Museum or the Cradle of Humankind to name a few. Idwala's manager, Debbie, is very competent and resourceful and will make sure your every need is taken care of. From suggesting restaurants that are in the Jo-Burg district to arranging a flight to Cape Town she will be sure to make your stay a valuable one. She has excellent communication with all of the staff and this is the Idwala family that you will come to know and rely on. The owners Jeanette and Hans will surely make your acquaintance and see to it that your stay here in their 'home' is what you expect.
This was such a unique vacation for my husband and I as we have never visited South Africa before. The Idwala Guest House was truly an unexpected surprise and we cannot say enough about our time spent there. If you are looking for an exclusive and distinct getaway within the city of Johannesburg then this is the place to lay your head and relax.
Thank you to all of the staff at Idwala Guest House. We can't wait to visit you once again.

Room Tip: The exclusive Garden Rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue L

Words cannot express how thrilled we were with your wonderful review of Idwala! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were also able to enjoy Johannesburg and all it has to offer to our overseas visitors. Please do return again for another visit so that we can spoil you, prepare even more delicious meals for you, and enjoy your company! Best regards to both you and your husband from the Idwala Team.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Had a wonderful four nights at the lodge. We were in a garden room which was very comfortable. We loved the peace and quiet. We only ate breakfast there which was excellent. The staff were very helpful. We can definitely recommend this lodge and hopefully will return in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to review Idwala! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Idwala soon. Best regards from the Idwala Team.