“Trip of a lifetime”
Review of Buhoma Lodge

Buhoma Lodge
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Many times when I travel, friends say, "wow, that is the trip of a lifetime" and I shrug, not sure what that means. Now I know. Uganda was the trip of a lifetime, and Buhoma was a large part of that. the location is exquisite and the bungalows take advantage of that. I had to climb 68 stairs to get to mine, but it was worth it for the view.

The staff was warm and took such good care of us. Every day I could feel how much they wanted me to be comfortable and happy. The food was sensational. I live in Chicago and we know about good food. My free massage one day as it was raining in the impenetrable forest, with a little coal fire keeping me warm is a memory that will stick. Every detail, like the hot water bottle, to figuring out that we wanted pancakes (crepes) for breakfast was taken care of, and to this day, I have no idea how they got all the mud off my boots. They looked new and I know they were in mud to the ankle. I was sad to leave and still remember Titus and "Trainee" fondly.

Room Tip: Ask how many stairs to your room. Not everyone might agree that 68 stairs is worth the view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank bandit-36

Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic trip to Uganda and were very pleased to stay at the Buhoma Lodge whilst in Bwindi. The rooms are very clean and have great views of the jungle. Very private little bungalows. The service was excellent and the little extras such as coffee delivered to your room early in the morning and free body massage following our gorilla trek make a big difference. Titus, the manager is friendly and knowledgeable...thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Lots of steps but the views are better higher up..
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kfitzgerald3
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I must admit,...I was never a big fan of these kind of lodges because of the prices. Nevertheless I was amazed when my friend and I arrived late in the evening after a long drive from Entebbe towards the lodge. We were greeted by the staff when we arrived around 9pm. This made me feel home right away,.. After a great dinner and a small drink, I went to to cottage. The cottage is great,...the beds were fantastic, the bathroom is wonderfull,..everything was great. After a good night sleep we woke up for the Gorilla trip. Everything was arranged,..even our lunchpackage. Something that I really apreciated. The gorillatrip itself was beautiful,..something I will never ever forget. Made some great shots over there,.. After one of my most memorable trips, we walked back to the lodge. Again,...a great dinner was waiting for us and after a couple of drinks wich were also very pleasant, of to bed for a good night sleep. In the morning we were going for our second safari in Queen Elizabeth NP. Before we departed, we had breakfast (like the day before,...very good,...). Then,..altough I didn't wanted to go,..we went of. Again they gave us a lunchpackage for the trip...good thinking again of the people working in the lodge.

Overall,....the best lodge I ever stayed in,....you should try it...

Regards,
Radjen
(The Netherlands)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank Radjen
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I stayed here last week for two nights, the place is lovely. The staff went out of their way to talk to you and explained about the area and the animals. The food was superb, the staff went out of there way to make sure you liked the food, a hot water bottle warmed the bed although it wasn't cold when we stayed there. We travelled with Wild Frontiers organised by World Primate Safaris in UK. The staff lent me a rucksack for the trekking as I had left mine behind. The place is ideal for gorilla trekking, I cannot begin to explain how difficult the 6 hours trekking was and we did it for two consecutive days!! The first day we visited the Habinyanja group who were mostly up a tree! The second day we had to travel two and a half hours to visit the Bitukura group the boys who have split from the main group. We were charged by the 3 silverbacks and two people were thumped! Terrifying but amazing
Seeing the gorillas at the end of the trek was worth every gasp of breathand aching limbs and coming back to a free massage if you wanted it and a lovely cheap glass of wine and a nice candlelit bath was superb.
Only negative is the bed was very firm.
I cannot recommend this place enough, worth every penny GO!

• Stayed: February 2011
6  Thank brumfan
Reviewed 20 February 2011

The Buhoma lodge is a great lodge to stay if you will visit the gorilla's.
The lodge is located next to the office an brieffing point of the gorilla trekkings.
The lodge is very nice and the staff is very friendly and good. The food is great.

The lodge provide complimentary walking sticks. Take them for the trekking becouse you need them. During the trekking you have to walk steep and slippery hills. You can buy a stick along the trekking or at the starting point but that will cost you about ten/fifteen dollar.

For fifteen dollar you also can hire a local helper that carries your bag and help you climbing the steep parts of the mountain. That is also a smart thing to do. At first you think you are lazy if you hire one so at first we didn't want one but our guide explaned us that this is theire living and they don't mind carrying someone elses bag. During the trekking we were glad that we hired one. It's also a great way to help the local people.

The rooms are also very good with nice beds and good showers. (Great after a long day gorilla trekking).
About the gorilla trekking: It's worth the trip. to get so close with them is a dream coming true

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chantalremi
Reviewed 17 February 2011

this was the best lodge in our three weeks in Uganda especially after the horrendous roads getting to Bwindi (and we had all our working life in the third world). well built with local materials with a spacious sitting area as well as the bedroom and bathroom with bath and unlimited hot water - ideal after the gorilla trekking. also litle extras like a fire, hot water bottle and free massage after the trek - and they cleaned our boots.
the food was very good and we had a nice bottle of south african red after the trek at a very reasonable price. All the staff were well trained and genuinely interested in their work and assisting clients.
the lunch they provided for the gorilla trek was just right - other members of our groupf from another lodge were expected to mix pasta in a large container!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank David C
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Buhoma Lodge as part of a three week safari of East Africa. Compared to Kenya and Tanzania, Uganda was generally more primitive but Buhoma Lodge was our best accommodation by far. Like most travelers, we were here for the gorillas which we found after a long four hour uphill hike. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything! Magical. It was nice to get back to the Buhoma after the all day trek and enjoy a cold Nile beer and some popcorn in their very comfortable lounge area adjacent to the dining room. (Even sighted a Blue Turaco darting through the trees amongst other interesting species.) Our group of 13 was the only one here so it felt like we had a private camp all to ourselves. The staff is just great, everyone of them and the place is obviously well managed. Very warm and friendly and genuinely interested in making the guests happy. The meals were terrific, the dinners being the best of the trip. I liked the way they took breakfast orders at the end of dinner too. The rooms are very comfortable, lots of hot water and a hot water bottle to boot. Uganda is cooler than the other countries and you'll be glad to have it. Some of the rooms are a hike. Ours, room 37, was 87 steps to the front door but what a view! Let me put in a plug for the Bwindi honey speaking of breakfast. It's so great I bought a jar from the honey co-op in the village and contributed $20 to boot since it seemed like a great cause. The village is an interesting place to walk around in and if you walk down and follow the river through the valley you won't be disappointed. All and all, highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple