“Perfect counterpoint to a Gorilla trek”
Review of Buhoma Lodge

Buhoma Lodge
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed for three nights at Buhoma Lodge and found it to be the perfect place from which to undertake the gorilla trek, being located within walking distance from where you start. The Chalets are tastefully appointed, clean, warm & comfortable and provide a grand view of the mountain you will be climbing. The lodge itself is intimate and inviting. The food is good without being brilliant. The service is excellent, and here is an example: Unfortunately for me I came down with a very bad case of the 'flu the day after my first and very successful trek, and I had to miss my second one. (No, I did not catch the 'flu from a gorilla. My guess is that I must have caught it on the 'plane.) The Lodge Manager himself took me to the nearest hospital and saw that I was thoroughly attended to. The room service provided for the rest of the day and the next was solicitous and very welcome, and I recovered sufficiently to face the long journey back to Entebbe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank worldcitizenPerth
There are newer reviews for Buhoma Lodge

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at Buhoma in Bwindi rainforest, while on our gorilla trekking. The accommodations were large, clean, with a spacious bathroom. We had a clawfoot bathtub in ours, which was nice, especially after such an exhausting hike.
The food was good, and the bartendar was excellent. The service was very good, and I would say they went out of their way. They provided an apple in the packed lunch, and I asked for them to peel it for me. It may be small, but the small things make a big difference.
Also, it was a quick walk into the town if you wanted a snack, or souveniers.
The boxed lunch they provided for the hike was delicious. I would recommend this lodge, if in Bwindi.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NGM_1981
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I recently took a tour and we stayed at the Buhoma Lodge for three nights. My friend and I had one of the higher rooms, which contained a gorgeous tub for post trekking. It was tough going up, and especially down, the steps after our trek, but the views were definitely worth it. We had monkeys outside our room in the trees. Made those 80 steps up to the room worth it. The food was amazing, and they were kind enough to accommodate me and my picky eating of the side dishes. The staff was friendly, and made sure to take care of us both pre and post gorilla trek. They also offer free massages post trekking. I wish I would have taken advantage of it, but others in our traveling party needed it much more.

Room Tip: Take one of the higher rooms for the amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PandaPatty
Reviewed 30 September 2013

A beautiful place to stay: the view from the room, the peaceful surroundings, the intimate size (I think only 8 or 9 cabins), and the warm and friendly welcome. The staff were lovely, easy to chat to, and every effort was made to provide a personal service - top marks for the hot water bottle in the bed when we got back from dinner! Other nice touches included a complementary laundry service, boot cleaning (our boots came back looking like new), and a massage (also free but well worth a generous tip). Breakfast and dinner were a delight, really tasty, and taken on the verandah. In fact, the highlight of staying at Buhoma Lodge was the closeness to nature (yet with a high level of comfort) - going to sleep and waking up to the sound of nature will be a lasting memory.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

As everyone else, stayed here to do gorilla trekking in the Buhoma area. The location is great - a short walk to the start of the trek. The place is just beautiful - it looks like a treehouse with the individual bandas nestled up the hill in the forest. To add to that feeling, when we first arrived, there was a monkey right outside our window.

The dining and lounge area was also lovely with a view of the mountains. Food was excellent and they are happy to cater to your individual needs. In fact, the service was outstanding in every respect. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildlife_lover
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Gorgeous place.
We were met on arrival in a courteous and delightful manner and the stay just got better from there.
We only stayed 2 nights to do the Gorilla Trekking. The room was fantastic and very spacious complete with a good sized bath tub, which was needed after the Trek.

The staff were a highlight and the young waiter we had had a wonderful sense of humour.

The food was amazing!

The fire was lit every night and a hot water bottle placed in the bed.

Would certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank damnit1411
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This was one of the best lodges we stayed in during our 3 week stay in Uganda. Good food, an amazing room (we had two rooms actually, a living room with a fire place which was lit every night and a bedroom) and very nice people. The lodge is very conveniently located right at the starting point of the gorilla tracking. I loved the warm water bottle in bed after dinner!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple