“Absolutely fantastic”
Review of Buhoma Lodge

Buhoma Lodge
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I spent three nights at Buhoma during my trip to Bwindi National Park. I couldn't have been more thrilled with my stay. I have stayed at eco-friendly luxury lodges in both Kenya and Uganda, Buhoma has been my favorite so far. The staff consists of local employees who are very helpful and kind. They made me feel right at home, especially during the night where I was the only guest. The rooms are outstanding, their location provides an excellent view of the forest and the sounds of nature at night. The rooms have hot water (you'll need to wait a few minutes though) and are very comfortable. You can only access power outlets and wifi (very good connection) in the lounge area. However, it's very comfortable down there and you can talk to the staff and other guests. The meals are good, a combination of Ugandan cuisine and western flavors. I was mostly satisfied with the food (packed lunch for trekking was very good). Buhoma is also conveniently located in terms of Gorilla trekking as it is only a minute or two away from the starting point. The bar features a nice selection of beers (aimed to cater a foreign audience) but also the local tusker brand. Finally, after trekking, the hotel offers laundry services (excluding underwear), shoe cleaning and massages all free of extra charge. Having you dirty clothes and shoes cleaned was very helpful. In conclusion, I had a great stay at the Buhoma lodge and would not hesitate to return if possible. I recommend the lodge to anyone looking for a special experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.

Room Tip: Try picking a room on the top row of suites (rooms 4,5, and 6) as they have the best views of the fo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank sam c

Reviewed 4 December 2013

WE spent almost 3 weeks in Uganda and traveled to 3 Eco lodges. Buhoma was our top choice for the best service. The staff was attentive and available...always. They took good care of us and we were weary travelers for a few days! If anyone is planning on doing the gorilla trek, I would highly recommend Buhoma as your main base. Besides complimentary massages, they washed our dirty clothes, and cleaned our boots like new! The food was delicious at every meal. We could not have asked for a better stay and better service. Wake up call accompanied by steaming hot coffee......heaven! Thank You Buhoma Lodge!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank crabbkakes
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This hotel's staff is excellent! Even though the massage therapists were supposed to be done for the day, they stayed longer to accommodate our late return from the trek. The property itself is pretty as are the rooms. But there are no windows (just screens) so during rainy season, which is when we there, the rooms are cold. They did give us warm heating pads for the beds so I still had a cozy night's sleep. But walking around in our room before and after shower was chilly. And after a 7 hour hike some of which was in the rain and thus we were wet, I wanted a cozy, warm room. Also the dining area is open so we had a cold dinner as well. Again, they attempted to warm us up by bringing little stove heaters but it wasn't quite enough. And for the money we paid, it was disappointing to be so cold. But again, the staff are awesome!! And when it started raining, I was happy the hotel had umbrellas to lend us as we ran back and forth from the room to the dining area.

One other drawback is that there are no outlets in the rooms. In order to charge your electronics, you have to use the outlets in the communal space in the dining area which means we weren't willing to leave our cameras/cell phones etc overnight charging. This MAY be bc of sustainability issues. If that is the case, an explanation would be appreciated. Instead, we just saw it as an inconvenience not consistent with the price we paid for our room.

Overall, the staff were top notch but the lodge set-up leaves a few things to be desired.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claudia P
Reviewed 27 October 2013

After a long journey it was a pleasure to arrive here and get well looked after by the staff. We cannot thank the manager enough who took time to introduce himself and chat to us about the lodge and amenities. We had some booking problems and he bent over backwards to help us have the perfect trip. Each member of staff was pleasant and friendly, thank you.

The rooms are amazing and what makes this place special and stand out from a regular hotel. Each a separate self contained unit with a ton of steps, a peaceful balcony, comfy beds and a fab bathroom. Best nights sleep in a long time.

Room Tip: Get a room at the top, worth the climb to see the sunrise in the morning.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clare M
Reviewed 25 October 2013

After an arduous drive of many hours on rutted dirt roads, we arrived around 3 p.m. at Buhoma Lodge and the three of us were warmly greeted with moist face cloths and a glass of juice. We were taken to the reception lounge and briefed by the manager about the facility and the park before we were escorted to our room, which was actually a well appointed and very comfortable, clean cottage. The triple room was large enough for three adults to have plenty of space. Peaceful doesn't begin to describe it. I have traveled a lot but have never experienced such attentive customer service. Full board is included in the price and the food was great. Although we arrived between lunch and dinner times, a delicious pasta primavera lunch was freshly made for us. The next day a packed lunch was provided for those of us going out on gorilla treks and though we left early the following morning, we were given another packed lunch for the road. After the gorilla trekking, a staff person offered to have our muddy hiking boots cleaned while we sat in the lounge enjoying the view of the mountains.

Room Tip: I would only suggest that when booking, you ask how many steps you must walk up in case it would be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MJCT12
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst we embarked on our Gorilla Trekking Adventure. We tracked the Mubare Group – they have a super relaxed Silverback who at one point walked within half a metre of us and jut carried on eating!!!!

Our room (No.2) was fantastic – well worth the 70 step climb to get to it! Magnificent views over the rainforest.

The food was superb and it was my 30th birthday during our stay and the staff went all out with cake, flowers, wine and a Ugandan Birthday Celebratory song/dance!

Definitely recommend a visit to Christine for a complimentary full body massage following your Gorilla Trek.

Special thanks to ALL the staff for making our stay so so special – Titus, Winnie and Onesmus especially.

This place is amazing – We never wanted to leave.

(Booked via XA! African Wildlife Safari’s – a fantastic and faultless African safari company).

Room Tip: No 2 - breathtaking views over the rainforest, bathtub is a welcome feature after the long Gorilla t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clare f
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed for three nights at Buhoma Lodge and found it to be the perfect place from which to undertake the gorilla trek, being located within walking distance from where you start. The Chalets are tastefully appointed, clean, warm & comfortable and provide a grand view of the mountain you will be climbing. The lodge itself is intimate and inviting. The food is good without being brilliant. The service is excellent, and here is an example: Unfortunately for me I came down with a very bad case of the 'flu the day after my first and very successful trek, and I had to miss my second one. (No, I did not catch the 'flu from a gorilla. My guess is that I must have caught it on the 'plane.) The Lodge Manager himself took me to the nearest hospital and saw that I was thoroughly attended to. The room service provided for the rest of the day and the next was solicitous and very welcome, and I recovered sufficiently to face the long journey back to Entebbe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo