“All around incredible experience”

Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The short review is that Robert arranged my permit and made transport to my walking safari simple. My local guide, Richard, knew his birds and shared much about the community. The staff at the lodge and food are without doubt the best I encountered in Uganda. all of the guests there at the time of my stay were ecstatic about the whole operation. Don't hesitate to book with them.

The long review is more like this. In Kisoro I was met by my guide Richard the day before we would depart on our walking safari that would lead us to the camp. I think the walk was 20km with a dug out canoe trip across the lake near Kisoro. Along the way you see a nice mixture of nature (superb birding) and the local people. Everyone is friendly as is to be expected throughout Uganda. The hike is moderate and you do have the option to get a ride from about halfway if you go.
At the lodge you will be treated more as a client is treated in the western world than is typical in E. Africa. That is to say the service is great, you fell welcome, and you can ask for what you need and they will make it happen (within reason people). Food was excellent, certainly the best I had in Uganda. The menu was different each night and always great.
Accommodation. I slept in a tent bc I am cheap but everyone who stayed in rooms were very pleased. Note the bathroom facilities are really nice. Tent dwellers share facilities with the staff which kind of adds to the feeling at home sensation. it seems like the folks working there like working there.
Gorillas. You will be led down to the UWA by Nkuringo staff but you go with UWA guides. This is the case in all Uganda parks. We hiked about 2 hours until we had our encounter. I had heard about how hard i was to hike here and I found the hike to be pleasant. However, if you are out of shape or have not exercised since high school, you might want to consider walking up a few hills at home before you come here or to Uganda in general. Gorilla time was amazing to use a weak term.
I walked from the lodge to kahihi the day after my gorilla time. I was accompanied by Richard into Bwindi where we saw a ton of birds, some antelope species, colobus monkeys, and met some local people walking hoe for xmas. This trail through the park is not just a trail like you see in a park in the west. Its also a major walk way for a culture of people who dont have cars. This hike took about 5 hours. I hear its 8-12 by car.

Anyway, call Robert if you are heading this way. I have to say that he was one of 5 operators I contacted and was THE ONLY ONE who did not give me a run around and send loads of confusing emails. It is worth the extra bit of money to have them arrange your permits and such as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge

Reviewed 9 February 2014

As others have mentioned its a hard place to get to, but a cold beer helps deaden the memory of the road. Nice tent, with a great view over the hills. Food was decent, and the staff friendly and welcoming.

1  Thank laflafs
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed in the safari tents for the experience. Loved it! The views were amazing. Starlit nights were an added bonus. The hot water bottles tucked into our beds in the evening were a comforting and unexpected delight. The entire resort is super clean and the service throughout was top notch. The staff is outstanding and you really get a feel that they enjoy what they are doing. Food was very good. The owner has truly put his heart and soul into this lodge. His staff is #1. The owner truly gives back to the surrounding community. The community feel translates throughout the entire lodge. Great performance in the evening around the campfire. The drive to get to the lodge was a gruesome 2 hour drive from Kisoro Road but well worth the drive seeing that our gorilla trek in the morning was only 6 km. away from the lodge. Great views of Birunga volcanoes and mountains that border the Congo, Rwanda and Uganda borders. The owner is constantly upgrading the premises. A believe a few more safari tents are planned and a new fire pit for the hill top. Grounds are impeccable and nicely landscaped. The family style houses have their own private backyard and I believe their own private bathrooms.
As a note, bathrooms are not in the rooms nor the safari tents. They are easily accessible close by - see photo. There are several large washrooms to choose from and they are each super clean and house a wonderful hot showers. Did I mention the views....outstanding. Thank you!

Room Tip: Stay in the safari tents for an added experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights in Nkoringo Gorilla Camp during our visit of Bwindi National Park. We booked the camp from Germany with Entebbe based Nkuringo Walking Safaris. Rob Brierley did an excelllent Job and composed a perfect trip for us from Kampala to Kigali.
The camp itself is located on top of a small hill near a small village about 1 hour drive away from Bwindi gate, where you meet for the Gorilla trekking briefing. From there you may have another drive or walk to access the gorillas. After that you can watch the silverback as near as 2 meters away from you!
We had rooms with shared bath, safari tents and bungalows with private bath are also available. The food is excellent, the staff does a perfect job - they provide a hot-water bag for the night!
On the way to Kigali, we made a walking excursion to Lake Mutanda, also warmly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin S
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were lucky enough to stay here for two nights when we trekked to see the Gorillas at the beginning of January.
It is not an easy drive to get here but it is totally worth it, the location is truly beautiful with views of Bwindi Forest on one side of the ridge and also to the Virungas on the other side.
We had one of the Virunga rooms which are extremely comfortable and although you have shared bathrooms this was not a problem at all as they have opened 3 new and very well appointed ones just steps from the rooms.
The quality of food here is exceptional and the dinner experience is lovely and every member of staff we met was understanding of the ethos that they are portraying.
They arranged for a bowl of soup when we returned from our trek and this really helped us to get our energy back.
We had dinner with the owner Rob on our second evening and he really has some great ideas not only about his own business but the tourism industry in Uganda as well and I wish him well in his plans, it was good to meet a fellow Hampshire man.
One of the staff Nestor took us for a walk through the village and it was interesting to see how they interact with the tourists not only those staying at Gorilla Camp but also those trekking to see the habituated group closeby.
We were lucky enough to stay at a number of lovely places in Uganda but this was my favourite and I would like to wish them all of the best for their future.

Room Tip: Although the self contained rooms are lovely do not be put off if they are booked as the Virunga roo...
1  Thank pdjlk
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We spent 3 weeks in Uganda Dec 28, 2013 - Jan 21, 2014 and the only part of the trip we booked in advance was 4 days with Nkuringo Walking Safaris which included staying at their Gorilla Camp in Bwindi.
I highly recommend Nkuringo Walking Safaris if you are looking at visiting Uganda. They have excellent customer service from the initial contact via email to meeting with their people once in Uganda. Their drivers and guides are very friendly and knowledgeable and love to point things out that we might have otherwise missed.
The Gorilla Camp was a great place to stay. The terrace rooms are spacious and very comfortable, the shared bathrooms are large and very spa-like. Everything was very clean and well maintained. And, the staff was pleasant and always ready to help.
I can't say enough good things about this company!!

2  Thank cwalts
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed in one of the cottages around New Year and have had a wonderful experience. The views are amazing from the site, the staff will go out of their way to make you feel welcome, and the food was really good too. Also met up with Rob, the owner, and had a lovely chat sharing travel experiences and photos around the campfire that the team lights up every night. A great place to stay, would highly recommend it ! My only regret is not to have been able to spend an extra few days on site !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Rushaga Gorilla Camp
Rushaga Gorilla Camp
#3 of 13 in Kisoro

Been to Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge? Share your experiences!