“An absolute must for who plans to visit the gorillas in Bwindi”

Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hello

We arrived at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp after an intense hike (read: climb) from Buhoma straight through the impenetrable rain forest and were very surprised of the comfort the camp had to offer.

Everything was spotlessly clean, the showers were provided with hot water (our first hot shower in two weeks in Uganda!) and the food was ab-so-lutely amazing. The tent we slept in was large enough to store a car and the beds were very comfortable.

We would definitely recommend staying (many nights) in the Gorilla Camp, also because the gorilla family which is visited from Nkuringo has been in contact with groups of human beings for already 14 years. But even if your budget doesn't allow you to go on the gorilla excursion, this accomodation and especially its nice staff will more than satisfy your needs.

Thanks for the lovely time and the delicious food we got!
Shanna and Nils
Belgium

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShannaNils

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Rob has a remarkable talent of organising the perfect holiday. His passion for the country and respect for the culture is inspiring to say the least. Adolf, our guide, also went the extra mile to make us experience the perfect holiday. I highly recommend this camp and team!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank elani1
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I agree with everything Chris has written in the previous review. My time with Robert and his fantastic team was an immense highlight, they catered to our every need with a smile and friendly chat. From the first camp on the trekking safari at Mgahinga to the final 3 days at Nkuringo, the hard work and professionalism of Robert's team made my time in this corner of Uganda so special. My highlight was being able to share my passion for breadmaking with the kitchen team at the first camp. I was flattered when they then made the bread for all of us at a later evening, and apparently the group who followed us also enjoyed Jan's Bread. A special thank you to Everest for arranging the repair of my walking boots, to Asegario for his passion for the village and school, Sharon for her tireless smile and the rest of the team .. well done this is a fabulous team effort ensuring our stay was unforgettable. And we got to see the gorillas as well. How am I going to be able to top this trip. Thank you .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jankcurtis
Reviewed 25 February 2014

What a fantastic location, perched on a hilltop overlooking the Bwindi forest to one side, the Western Rift to the other and the Virunga range and rolling hills to the south.
Nkuringo is a magical place, the camp is located close by to the community and the community is very much part of the life at the camp.

Robert runs a fantastic "ship" here merging creature comforts, (rooms with beds and hot showers!) for our sensitive western sensibilities with the authenticity and beauty of Uganda.

The team were fantastic in dealing with our large group. The treks in the forest, the gorillas, the community walks the trekking from the volcanoes, were special, more than special.

Access to the gorillas from Nkuringo was not as challenging as I understand it is from other camps. This was of course a highlight of our trip.

I would recommend this magical place to everyone. I will be returning later this year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I was going to rave about this place but I think the stats above speak for themselves. Rob and your crew thank you for an amazing experience. We landed up staying 4 days extra. Anyone that doesn't stay here or book through Rob is wasting their time searching anywhere else.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Seth85
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The short review is that Robert arranged my permit and made transport to my walking safari simple. My local guide, Richard, knew his birds and shared much about the community. The staff at the lodge and food are without doubt the best I encountered in Uganda. all of the guests there at the time of my stay were ecstatic about the whole operation. Don't hesitate to book with them.

The long review is more like this. In Kisoro I was met by my guide Richard the day before we would depart on our walking safari that would lead us to the camp. I think the walk was 20km with a dug out canoe trip across the lake near Kisoro. Along the way you see a nice mixture of nature (superb birding) and the local people. Everyone is friendly as is to be expected throughout Uganda. The hike is moderate and you do have the option to get a ride from about halfway if you go.
At the lodge you will be treated more as a client is treated in the western world than is typical in E. Africa. That is to say the service is great, you fell welcome, and you can ask for what you need and they will make it happen (within reason people). Food was excellent, certainly the best I had in Uganda. The menu was different each night and always great.
Accommodation. I slept in a tent bc I am cheap but everyone who stayed in rooms were very pleased. Note the bathroom facilities are really nice. Tent dwellers share facilities with the staff which kind of adds to the feeling at home sensation. it seems like the folks working there like working there.
Gorillas. You will be led down to the UWA by Nkuringo staff but you go with UWA guides. This is the case in all Uganda parks. We hiked about 2 hours until we had our encounter. I had heard about how hard i was to hike here and I found the hike to be pleasant. However, if you are out of shape or have not exercised since high school, you might want to consider walking up a few hills at home before you come here or to Uganda in general. Gorilla time was amazing to use a weak term.
I walked from the lodge to kahihi the day after my gorilla time. I was accompanied by Richard into Bwindi where we saw a ton of birds, some antelope species, colobus monkeys, and met some local people walking hoe for xmas. This trail through the park is not just a trail like you see in a park in the west. Its also a major walk way for a culture of people who dont have cars. This hike took about 5 hours. I hear its 8-12 by car.

Anyway, call Robert if you are heading this way. I have to say that he was one of 5 operators I contacted and was THE ONLY ONE who did not give me a run around and send loads of confusing emails. It is worth the extra bit of money to have them arrange your permits and such as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014

As others have mentioned its a hard place to get to, but a cold beer helps deaden the memory of the road. Nice tent, with a great view over the hills. Food was decent, and the staff friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple