“Beautiful Retreat and Tremendous Staff”
Review of Mahogany Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Mahogany Springs
Winter Park, Florida
“Beautiful Retreat and Tremendous Staff”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is the place to stay when visiting Bwindi and the Impenetrable Forest. Gorgeous location lush with exotic foliage. Each cottage is equiped simply and in tune to the environment. The staff, however, is probably one of the best reasons to make this your home. Friendly, accommodating and gracious, each person represents the property well. From delicious meals to cleaning your boots after a day of gorilla tracking, you'll wish your stay was longer.

Room Tip: There is a 'presidential suite' which has two large bedrooms with a common sitting area and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DLGWP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I travelled here with my wife in January as part of a 10 day trip around Uganda. We were travelling by 4x4 with a local guide called Johnnie who also happens to be a birding expert. Johnnie was incredible and of course without him the trip would not have been the same. It was actually Johnnie who recommended this lodge to us and with so many to choose from we took his recommendation.

As you turn the corner upon arrival at the lodge all you think is ‘ wow’ it hits you hard you as simply don’t expect to see such a beautiful place in what can only be described as a magical location. It was the best lodge that we stayed at on our adventure and that’s why we wanted to write a review.

For birding watching it is perfect. Large open spaces, trees, plants, water and great terraces to sit
and wait while sipping a drink. The main building was a great place to hang out. We sat on the terrace for hours admiring the views, taking photos of various birds and playing a little scrabble! Don’t take the manager on at scrabble he is pretty good!

The staff were very attentive, the wet towels for cleaning your hands before dinner and upon arrival at the lodge were a nice touch. The selection of wines was great although we spend a little more than we had originally intended.

The food was scrumptious and we loved the fresh salad and veg from the garden, we recommend the soups. The rooms was very comfortable and the beds were perfect. We found the fresh air there makes you very tired – maybe the wine had something to do with that! But getting into that beautiful bed at the end of the day felt great. The hot water bottle inside the bed was a bit of a surprise and did make my wife jump! But she saw the funny side and I definitely saw the funny side. The poems on the pillows were a nice touch and the mosquito nets system around the bed makes you feel safe, although we didn’t really see many insects at all, maybe it seasonal.

We had an excellent time at Mahogany Springs and would stay here again if the opportunity ever
comes up.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This lodge was absolutely incredible. We were on a very short flying safari to Mahogany Springs and then back home. We only got to spend 2 nights at Mahogany Springs and if we could have extended our trip another couple of nights we would have.

From arrival to departure everything was 5 star. Our room was large, very clean, warm and we had absolutely no insects! The service I received from all the staff was as good as it gets and better than anywhere I have stayed previously.

The lodge assisted in helping me arrange some local activities of which the highlight for me was visiting the hospital and the various wards. This is a local hospital not far from Mahogany Springs and all the staff there appear to be doing an amazing job.

The food was very tasty with a wide variety of choice. I enjoyed the beef so much on the first night and all the fresh pastries and cakes that are left out to help yourself throughout the day. I ate a little too much but certainly worked it off with the amount of walking we did on our Gorilla trek.

As I am sure everyone who visits this wonderful lodge would agree – the gardens are breath-taking, I have never seen plants, trees or shrubbery like that in my life and can’t imagine I ever will again. I met the gardener when I was walking around the gardens, a young chap and he took so much pride in showing me around and explaining the various local plants they have.
The gorilla tracking was strenuous at times but we took many breaks and only went as fast as the slowest person (me!). Nobody got annoyed with me though and when we eventually found the Gorillas well lets just say I would do it again and again if I could!

Thank you so much to Mahogany Springs for making a dream come true and giving me an experience that certainly exceeded my original expectations of travelling to a lodge in Uganda.

1 Thank Epic_travelCardiff
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Mahogany Springs for 3 nights and just loved it. The lodge is set beautifully on the side of a hill with views out over the farmland and village to the start of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest on the other side of the valley. Every room has a view of this lovely setting.
The grounds are planted with the most beautiful garden containing many flowering plants and fruits which attract a wealth of beautiful birds, butterflies and other insects (and even the Gorillas on occasion!). I spent 2 lovely afternoons just watching and photographing wildlife without even leaving the garden!
The rooms themselves are comfortable, private, spotlessly clean and well equipped with charging points for cameras etc, bathroom, mosquito nets and comfortable beds.
The main lodge area is welcoming and comfortable with an open fire and sofas with books and DVDs for guests to use. A very relaxing way to spend some time and most guests when we were there would spend some of the afternoon or evening by the fire with a glass of wine, a beer or some lovely local Ugandan coffee or tea (kindly prepared and brought to you by the lovely staff) reading a book or just contemplating the lovely view.
The staff were very friendly, and helpful as well as very efficient. they really made us feel at home and welcome. The food was plentiful and excellent with some Indian/Nepalese/Asian influences from the head chef/assistant manager who is from Nepal.
Everyone was really just lovely and everything about the place wonderful we'd have loved to stay longer.
The main event of course was the Gorilla tracking which was incredible (reviewed under Bwindi Impenetrable Forest), we did 2 treks which was fabulous. The Lodge organised us packed lunches, walking sticks and made sure we had plenty of water and were well prepared. they even had laminated photos of each Gorilla family so you could buy one of the families you visited (in fact one of the families we visited was missing and one of the staff went off to get one for us from the park which was just so kind).
We also did a walk through the surrounding countryside and village with a member of the local village which was very interesting and enjoyable, I recommend it. We also visited the local orphanage which was a very worthwhile thing to do, lovely kids.
Don't miss out on an amazing massage from Barbara who works at the lodge, she is amazing!
I highly recommend this lodge and would definitely go again if I was in the area.

1 Thank Onelifeliveit2
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Context of this review:
A three night stay to go mountain gorilla trekking in Uganda

Postives:
Nice grounds
Within 1 kilometer of gorilla trek starting point

Negatives:
Very poor mosquito netting - I got more mosquito bites here than the total of the other 17 days of the trip. It has many gaps and several moving pieces that were broken. We asked that it be repaired; someone said they fixed it, but that didn't really happen.
Rooms are hot and stuffy meaning the windows need to be opened in the evening to cool off the room in order to sleep, making the mosquito netting even more important.
Don't use the laundry service - you'll regret it, our items were returned soaking wet. I refused to pay and they agreed that I would not be charged for the laundry

It is very difficult to run an effective business in the remote parts of Africa, therefore I'm giving this hotel the benefit of the doubt and 3 stars. Had this hotel been in North America or Europe, I would give it one star.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scott29inSeattle
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 21 February 2014

During a recent trip to Uganda, this lodge was the most professionally managed. The manager, Jotham, was always checking on things, which resulted in a very good level of service from the staff. For Jotham, nothing was ever a problem. The rooms themselves are adequate, and kept in a spotless condition. Very conveniently situated for the gorilla treks, the setting is on a quiet mountain slope. The food was good, and they had a good selection of wine, which is unusual in Uganda. All in all, a place I would recommend, given the very high standard of professionalism and the hospitality that was showed to us throughout our stay.

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in this wonderful lodge within very close reach of the main reason you travel here - the gorillas. So close in fact staff regaled us of stories of close encounters within the lodge grounds! After travelling for over 5 hours through winding dirt roads, to receive such a warm welcome from friendly staff put us immediately at ease, even before we viewed our accommodation which itself was stunning.
Food was a good simple, well executed and Tuskers at dusk on the balcony by the fire is a treat you will need to make the trip to appreciate!
Highly recommend this lodge and don't look past the great value massage which is a perfect answer to the bumpy ride in.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple