“nkuringo walking safaris are superb”

Nkuringo Walking Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Nkuringo Walking Safaris was established in 2007 as sustainable tourism initiative to develop a team of local guides with the premise of establishing a simply gorgeous multiday trek between the hamlet of Buhoma on the north side of the Bwindi Forest National Park and the town of Kisoro in South Western Uganda. Nkuringo Walking Safaris is a fully registered member of the Association of Uganda Tour Operators – AUTO; a one stop shop with Entebbe home / office base with our own fleet of 4x4 safari Land cruiser vehicles to support our safari programs. As a tour operator we are certainly more flexible than most and ready to work in partnership to deliver a fully tailor-made proposal for you. Why Nkuringo Walking Safaris Our team Our team consists of passionate Travel Consultants that will share both your enthusiasm for travel and lust for adventure. Because of their own extensive experience in the destinations that we offer, they will assist you in making your safari and travel experience an unforgettable event. Social Responsibility Nkuringo Walking Safaris works in partnership with the Nkuringo Youth initiative Foundation to bring about sustainable development in the communities through local skills development The company operates tours in Uganda and Rwanda. Our ranges of services include; Tailor made Safaris, Adventure travel, Biking Safaris, Walking Safaris and Luxury safaris.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We used this company for our two week ugandan trip and were highly, highly impressed with the investment of time they put in to work an itinerary suited to you, their wealth of knowledge on the region, professionalism and hard work. Their team from robert, to the office to the guide david was absolutely top class and easily a few notches in quality above other local operators we have used in africa.

More on that in my review for nkuringo gorilla camp.

Now we didnt actually do the walking trip from buhoma to kisoro across the rainforest, through local villages to lakes with volcano views etc but can wholeheartedly recommend the company and we met plenty of people at nkuringo gorilla camp who were doing the walk (with bolt ons including climbing mount sabinyo) and they were all loving it.

I can see why too, just driving its easy to see that this is uganda's most scenic corner with hills, volanoes, lakes and villages. I would have loved to have taken the opportunity to leave the car behind and walk this beautiful landscape but alas my wife's knee wouldnt permit any more than the marvellous gorilla tracking itself.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

780 is the number you need to remember! That's how many of these creatures are left on the planet and what makes this so special. The trek is not easy but the 'push me, pull me porters' are amazing in ensuring you get to the bottom and back again. Make sure you use them. Even if you don't want them to carry anything. Their names go on a roster and if you don't use a porter he misses out on income and has to wait until his next roster opportunity. Using them helps the community and the gorillas.

Forget the drive from Entebbe. If you are going to spend money on a permit buy a seat on a private charter plane. The trip takes 1.5 hours and the lodge will send someone to collect you from Kisoro. Not only is this quicker but a safer option.

We stayed a Clouds and would recommend it to anyone. At the end of the trekking day our boots and clothes disappeared and were returned to our room at night fall clean and folded. The staff were extremely attentive and treated us like family.

Spending time with the gorillas, obviously, is the highlight. If you have one take a go pro. Photos can't capture the surprise interactions you may have with these magnificent creatures.

1  Thank Susan L
Reviewed 3 December 2012

park rangers start by giving you a briefing on what to expect -- please, if they offer a porter, take one!!!; the porter will take very good care of you and make sure your experience is excellent. you will get driven by van to a spot dependent on where the gorilla family you're visiting was found the day before and from there you'll hike into the rain forest: average time a little over two hours, but could be longer or as litte as 15 minutes (my group was very lucky, but be aware the hike down was quite steep and what goes down will eventually have to hike out!!!!). the hour spent with these majestic animals was worthy any and all effort!! and your permit $$ goes to protecting the mountain gorilla for generations to come...

Reviewed 29 October 2012

To start I will warn you about the drive....we fly into Ettebbe for 1 night then started our tour from their with a 12hour drive!....yep they said it was 10hours but the roads are terrible as they have speed bumps at nearly every small town to force drivers to slow down...Once you get to Kirsvo town ship it's only 35km to go...nothing right...try 1.45hrs as the roads are even worse. Now I am not the kind to complain because as for my Egypt experience where it felt like I walked out of KFC, turned the corner and their were the pyramids...RUBBISH...
I felt like the drive was worth it because you really got to see Uganda....in saying that if I was to recommend the way to do it would be to drive their and fly back.....not sure on the quality of planes.

Now the camp is at the top of the Bwindi Forest and has the local kids around to make it a great experience. The cottages are very comfortable and the showers are great as well as the food.

The walk to the Gorillas is like starting at the top of the mountain and walking down into the jungle. It took about 1.5hrs to get to the main jungle then about another 45 mins to get to the Gorillas. WOW what an experience......one off the bucket list for sure....we had about 1.5 hrs with them and plenty of photos and video....although most want to take photo it is the video which are memorable when you get home. DO THIS!!!!!

PS: While we were there there were 4 males from some country that paid to do the walk but did not pay the $500US to the government to get the permits. These permits pretty much guarantee you see the Silverbacks as they send out spotters before you even start. Backpackers maybe no $$$ but to go all that way and not pay the $500 per person to me doesn't make sense.....

4  Thank BigBadKiwi
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I had only intended to pay Uganda a quick three-day visit to see the renowned mountain gorillas at Bwindi. As it would turn out, my 'brief' visit turned into a 10 day adventure of a lifetime, courtesy of Robert from Nkuringo Walking Safaris.

I first contacted Robert to obtain a quote for the tour (based on numerous positive reviews on TripAdvisor), and this turned out to be the beginning of a 20+ email (and phone!) correspondence over many months in which Robert spent an amazing amount of time and effort tailoring an itinerary to suit my interests, budget and timeframe. Robert has an expansive wealth of knowledge on Uganda, and handpicked some amazing accommodation for me throughout the country as well as arranging everything from airport transfers, transport and permits which admittedly made things much easier. He also quickly picked up on my interest in primates and walking, and subsequently recommended the full day (11.5hrs!) chimpanzee habituation tracking in Kibale NP as well as the golden monkey tracking in Mgahinga NP - both of which are relatively less well-known activities but absolutely stunning in their own rights (especially the trek in search of the endangered and beautiful golden monkeys amidst a bamboo forest 2000m+ above sea level).

My guide Adolf, accompanied me throughout all my walks: around the hilly community of Nkuringo, on the forest trails of Bwindi NP and across lovely Lake Mutanda via canoe then through the local village towards Kisoro. Adolf's specialty was birds, and through him, I was instilled with a newfound love for East African birds as he taught me to recognise and also identify the calls of local birds (or at least some of them!)

For me, the highlight of Uganda came within Bwindi NP. I trekked the gorillas from the Nkuringo group, and whilst it was a (ridiculously) tough steep climb down to them (even with the assistance of porters carrying my backpack), all that was forgotten once we entered the beautiful lush rainforest of Bwindi and found these gentle giants in their natural habitat, eating and playing and walking around us. We watched as the infants played tag with each other around a bush, and one even curiously came up and tugged on the pants of a member of our group before being shooed away by the guide. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to witness this snapshot of their lives, and it is a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Overall, I was immensely impressed with the efficiency, professionalism and warmth of the staff at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. My thanks go to Robert, Lydia, Adolf, my driver Moses and the rest of the team for an experience of a lifetime. I would recommend you guys to anyone in a heartbeat and hope to be back soon one day!

2  Thank nalia81