“I love Chameleon Hill Lodge and The Views”

Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
New York City, New York
“I love Chameleon Hill Lodge and The Views”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our 3 day stay at this Lodge was the best I've ever experienced. I usually don't sleep well in a hotel and Lodges but I slept like a log from the first night in this one. The room and bath were spotless.(I have a thing about that) Steve is the best housekeeper ever. Patrick the Manager was our first contact and he is so wonderful I will never forget him. He was so nice and accommodating when I called from the airstrip in Kisoro having left an item in my room and saw to it that it was mailed back to me. All the staff were friendly and kind. To me it's the people who make any business tick and the folks who work here are unlike any I have ever encountered at any other Lodge or hotel. Truthfully, I would never stay in any other Lodge when am around that part of the country, thanks to the staff and clean rooms. (My son and his family also stayed at the same time so I was in their room as well) I thank you all for making this the best stay ever and I can't wait to come back. I would never choose any other Lodge. It will always be yours. I had forgotten about the views of the Lake and the Virungas!! No Lodge can compete with you guys. Never!!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Burda R
Doris M, Owner at Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Burda,
wow - what a review! Thanks so very much for sharing with other travelers! You are so right - the staff plays an important role, but it always works both ways. We are receiving such amazing guests, (like yourself) and happy smiles all the time that it is easy to deliver good service, it just comes naturally. And appreciation is the biggest motivator, so thanks once again for your feedback! Please come back soon and stay longer next time!
Doris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

To make it short and sweet: If you are planning a trip to Uganda and you want your trip to be absolutely amazing- Go to Chameleon hill! Everything was perfect. The food was delicious, the staff was so welcoming and kind and really seemed to know what they were doing, the chalets and all other facilities were beautiful and comfortable (and let me add: The paintings and every other small detail all around the lodge are extremely beautiful and give the lodge a very unique and special touch) and the owner was extremely kind and did everything to make our stay perfect. I have never been to a better lodge! The view is breathtaking and so is the environment surrounding the lodge. Do yourself a favour and go to Chameleon hill!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jasmin-Pat
Dear Jasmin-Pat,
thank you very much for expressing your feelings about Chameleon Hill! You sum it all up: food, staff, chalets, special touches and of course the views. All that leaves nothing for me to add. Thanks again for taking the time to post this review and let's hope one day soon you will return to our special place in gorilla country.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We noticed this Lodge on our descent of the short cut from Nukuringo and found it intriguing enough to call in. We were made welcome.
Patrick was kind enough to show us around and indeed was most insistent on a full tour. His enthusiasm was almost infectious.
The overall design, see pictures, is quirky to say the least as somewhat of a meeting between an old English Windmill or Oast House and Leggoland . Then paint it in poster colours and you get the idea. But it works so why not?
The entrance is through the round Building under the tower with offices and reception enclosed.
There is a Library and lounge area. I loved the imaginative and ingenious recycled Beer Crates in their new life of Bookshelves. Internal décor was imaginative and contained lovely works by the owner I think.
Outside is a spacious and airy patio with lovely views over the lake to the peaks of the Virungas. I think this view is one of the classics of this part of the world and this lodge's setting makes good use of it.
The Chalets/Cottages are slightly below the level of the main building and reached by well maintained paths. The one we were shown was well laid out with beds facing a large window and very clean and modern looking Bathroom fittings.
All in all I would not hesitate to book in for a few days if in the area again.
I cannot comment on value as I don't have rates but it won't be low budget I am sure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mfuwe
Daar Mfuwe,
I would like to send a huge THANK YOU your way for your amazing review! I only came back recently after a 5-week visit from my "place of happiness" how I call it. Reading your review makes me want to jump right back into the next airplane to return to Chameleon Hill. It puts a huge smile on my face seeing your appreciation for all my crazy ideas like the beer crate design for the book shelf. I bought those boxes one by one at Cape Town flea markets and from private people on online second hand platforms. The mosaics have also been created at my Cape Town home in many many late night and after hour sessions. The evening before the container left South Africa the whole family was finishing the round reception mosaic and until the last second we were not sure if we would be able to finish it, but viola - it all worked out in the end. The paintings in the dining room and lounge have been designed by a dear friend from Kampala and my 16-year old daughter. She also did all the art work in the rooms and I think all those personal touches add to the unique atmosphere Chameleon Hill expresses. But as you say - Patrick, the manager, is the heart and should of the lodge, of course together with his team and all our animals that have found homes there coming from miserable lives and shelters. Please Mfuwe, come back one day and be our guest. We would be honored to welcome you!
Warm regards,
Uganda
Reviewed 28 March 2014

after a whole day traveling no matter what means of transport you use or what experience the driver/guide is having, you will reach there at Chameleon hill tired and may be exhausted. the moment you enter the tall tower you are give a glass of juice and briefed you are shown the room take a hot shower have dinner by chef Wafula, watch the lake view you will fill at home.
In the middle of nowhere every good thing/service/hot shower/generator 7-10:30pm, 5am to 7am, Thanks to the investor's wonderful idea,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank destination2013
Dear Destination2013,
thank you very much for your review and apologies for the late reply - time flies... I am delighted that you where able to forget about the sometimes bumpy drives on Ugandan roads once you have reached Chameleon Hill. It means a lot to me that you mentioned the "home-away-from-home" feeling, this is exactly what it is all about! Thanks also for commenting on our delicious food. Moses has recently joined Robert Wafula and those two kitchen gods are now spoiling our guests in joint effort. I hope you come back one day to experience some of the other excursions on offer, the gorillas are a must, but there is sooo much more to see and do...
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is only my second review on TripAdvisor- I'm usually one for just having my experiences and not assuming that gives me the know-how to tell others what to do, but in this case I will make an exception! If you are looking for a place to stay around Bwindi National Park (the SW end), then book yourself into Chameleon Hill on Lake Mutanda. My boyfriend and I only stayed two nights because we had a schedule to stick to, but man did we want to stick around longer!

We went for the gorillas, like most people do, I imagine, but the many delights of Chameleon Hill made us want to stay. First of all, the place itself is a dream: beautiful rooms, gorgeous views (you can even sometimes see a distant volcanic glow at night!), fun architecture (really, not usually my thing, but the place is designed really well...), and the kindest, most efficient, lovely staff imaginable.

We were traveling with Amos Kasasira, who apparently helped identify the location for the hotel, and when we arrived it was like a family reunion-- the whole staff came out to greet us and even though we'd arrived long after dinner was served, they whipped up a three-course meal for us while we unpacked and freshened up, including accommodating my vegetarian request last-minute. We had the most comfortable, "home-away-from-home" stay there. Smiles and good, warm feelings abounded. I don't know what else to say but that it just had the nicest feel to it. I think back on it with very happy memories and hopes that I can one day return. Huge grins and thanks to all the staff, and the owner there! It was wonderful to meet you all and to be your guest :)

Room Tip: Every room is its own private bungalow- you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kira S
Dear Kira,
thank you so much for your very long review and kind words! I still remember when you arrived and greeted us with your happy smiles. It was a pleasure to host you and please do come back soon. A lot of things have changed in the past couple of months: the flowers and shrubs on the property grow like weed and give the "not-looking-so-new-anymore" feel. Our boat ride to the islands full of history and myths are becoming ever so popular and our Chameleon Hill family grew by 2 sheep and 9 puppies which we are busy finding good homes for. A brilliant, second chef has also recently joined the team and a couple of new, mouthwatering vegetarian dishes are waiting for you!
Kindest regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a safari organised through Kiganda at AAB Tours & Travel (would thoroughly recommend this company, very professional). Richard, our fabulous driver/guide, navigated his way through the very bumpy roads and got us there safely (thanks Richard, you were marvellous, thoroughly professional, informative, interesting, you made everything go like clockwork). The view took our breaths away, it's perched on the top of a hill overlooking Lake Mutanda and on a clear day you can see the Virunga mountains. Lovely rooms, all painted in brilliant, bright colours, a refreshing change from the usual brown and beige. The rooms are equipped with all that's required, including a safe, extra blankets and mosquito nets (though you don't really need them in this part of the country). One has to remember the remoteness of this location, the power is run by a generator, so the electricity goes on at about 7pm and turns off about 10.30pm. We didn't feel inconvenienced by this at all, it worked perfectly fine, and there are power points in the rooms for charging all devices. One recommendation I would make would be to have wi-fi in the main lodge please? The food was lovely and the setting enhanced by Charles, who kindly put on some of his music compilations for us at our request. Charles, you are a great asset to Chameleon Hill, you made us feel welcome and nothing was too much of a problem, you made sure our wine was chilled and went out of your way to organise some Lake Mutanda fish for us to try. We hadn't even requested this, Charles organised this for us as a special treat, which it was, thanks again. Our thanks also goes to Patrick, the manager, who organised the distribution of children's clothes and books we had brought with us to some of the local village children through the community leaders. He even organised for the children to come up and meet us, which was such a treat having these absolutely gorgeous children sing to us! Patrick also organised a performance at the lodge for us with a group of the local village performers, who sang some traditional tribal songs. Wow! They were fantastic, I hope you continue to organise these performances, Patrick, as it was such a rewarding experience. Thanks again to you both, Charles and Patrick, for such a wonderful stay at Chameleon Hill, I hope you both enjoy your T-Shirts :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cathmark92
Dear Cathmark92,
a very very big thank you for your review which feels as if it comes from your deepest heart. You have captured the soul of Chameleon Hill and shared with other travelers what it is all about. Unfortunately I can not always be at my little paradise myself but I know that the entire Chameleon Hill family, lead by the dream-team Patrick & Charles, will continue to do anything in their power to make every single guest feel special and welcome. You might be interested that we are busy setting up a project to uplift a nearby community and improve their living conditions. Those projects are only possible with the help of kindhearted people like yourself. Thanks for reaching out to make a difference! Please come back soon.
Regards from Cape Town (hopefully soon to be back at Lake Mutanda...)
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The colorful chalets overlooking the lake gives Chameleon Hill a very beautiful view, different and unique design. Good hospitality, tasty foods and a very calm environment. A very special and breathtaking moment came when the speed boat was launched this forced me to extend my stay.believe me you would do the same.
surely i highly recommend this lodge, it is the best place you can stay in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.

Room Tip: rooms from 3 to 10 have the best view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Tibesigwa J,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your Chameleon Hill experience with other travelers. I am glad you loved your stay and the boat ride on the lake. Please come back soon and allow us to show you our newly built "lake-house" where we serve snacks and drinks before and after the boat excursion.
Thanks again and warm regards