“Very nice camp”

and 1 more site!
Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Sanctuary. The location is lovely and the hospitality warm. We found the camp to be comfortable---I loved the sheets! The bathrooms are quite large. We did not have hot water on the morning of our trek but that was a one-time issue that was remedied by next shower. It was very nice to have complimentary laundry service. Especially after the trekking! Thanks! It was noisy at night---we heard people talking and walking around close to our tent so maybe that was a staff area.
The food was good and the staff in the restaurant were great! Very attentive. We appreciated the very special birthday celebration they did for us and the cake! Also enjoyed the pretty fire at night.
I would definitely recommend Sanctuary. We had a nice stay and a great gorilla trek with amazing photos!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UsaJules
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Gorilla Forest Camp on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and so sorry about the water (which we are happy to hear was immediately remedied) and noise issue.. will follow up on this.

Thank you for the recommendation, much appreciated, we hope to welcome you back one day..

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Service, service, service is the words that come to mind when I think about the moment I arrived. I am also a woman traveling alone.

This camp is in the most beautiful surroundings. Great care and thought has been given to how this camp runs and is operated. It is an eco camp and they are very earth conscious.

I traveled here to see the mountain gorillas. I had spent several years researching the areas that provided a lodge and guides for hiking into Bwindi National Forest. I was able to spend 2 hours with these magnificent creatures and my expectations were exceeded on every level.

From the minute I got off the airplane my guide was waiting for me. His name was Ben and he provided a safe and educational trip to camp. I felt like he had been a friend I had known for years. Upon arrival at the camp I was greeted and offered a nice aroma therapy infused cool cloth and a welcome drink of fresh juice. They invited me to relax and have a seat and instructed me on the camp, my tent and the staff. Everyone came and introduced themselves and spent time to get to know me. Once again, I felt welcomed safe and a feeling like I had known everyone for years.

The Gorilla Sanctuary Camp offers luxury on every level. My tent exceeded all my wishes. I had a lovely soaker bathtub which included aromatherapy and candle light, A lovely shower made out of natural stones, Excellent bath and bedding linens. Fresh water served in glass bottles and everything was clean clean clean! I felt like a goddess. In the evening my purser whose name was Michael even warmed my bed with hot water bottles. He offered to clean my hiking boots daily and always turned down my bed. Truly luxurious.

The spa is very pretty and my cosmeticians Barbara & Precious provided excellent massage and beauty care services. It is a nice environment to relax in after hiking.

Jackson and Ian the directors of the camp made sure every need I had was taken care of Including my drive back to the airport. Everything was attended to with such detail and organization. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The only complaint I have is that I didn't stay longer.

I had internet service, it was slow but considering where I was, I was surprised to have internet at all. I also was able to use my I phone and place calls to the US. They provide a charging station for your phone and cameras in the reception area. You do have lights in your tent but do not have plug ins for charging. Camp is ran on a generator it is quiet and noise isn't a problem. They also offer a full stocked bar.

Thank you Gorilla Sanctuary Camp this was my first experience at a Sanctuary Camp and I will choose to stay again in other places around the world. It really was so special that I can barely express my gratitude in making this such a remarkable experience.

Oh yes, by the way. Hiking into Bwindi to see the gorillas is worth every single dime. I had great guides and porters. I was blessed to purchase 2 passes and sat with 2 different troops of mountain gorillas. There really isn't words for this experience other than you must go it is AMAZING! It is also very important to the preservation of these gorillas.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jo S
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

WOW what an amazing review, thank you!!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Gorilla Forest Camp and thank you for all your lovely comments - Michael was especially pleased.

We have to agree the Gorilla trekking is an AMAZING experience and definitely a must!!

Thank you once again we looking forward to welcoming you back again one day soon..

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The steep steps leading up to the camp is a fair warning of what's ahead, if you're arrived in Bwindi for gorilla trekking. The climb is worth it though and this lodge was my favorite place while traveling through Uganda. Part of the Sanctuary group it has incorporated the look and feel you find on safaris in Central- and South Africa, and it's a very relaxing and beatiful place to stay while in town. It's one of only two lodges located within the forest.

The service was top notch and these guys really went out their way to make me feel at home. I hghly recommend "GFC" as you base while trekking the amazing gorillas.

Internet is satelite-based and the latency of the signal did mess with my laptop. I eventually gave up and used my iPad; which seemed to handle it better. The internet service is rather slow and something that requires several website to load such as changing flight plans - which I had to do late one evening - can take a very long time with connections dropping.

Also, there are no power plugs in the rooms, so charging of devices has to happen in the gift shop. It really wasn't a problem for me - I left my devices there during the day.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All rooms are within close distance to each other. I stayed in "Wagtail" and could hear th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review thank you, much appreciated!!!

We are very pleased you enjoy your time with us at Gorilla Forest Camp and thank you for the recommendation.

Our team loved hosting you and do hope to welcome you back again one day soon...

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We recently stayed at Gorilla Forest Camp for three nights and couldn't have had a better experience. The lodge situated just inside Bwindi was perfect, with a beautiful view, complete with Great blue touracos and L'hoests guenons coming to visit. The tented rooms are excellent, secluded, quiet, and clean with all the necessary amenities.
The staff, Ian the manager, Jackson and Nicklaus our hosts, John our bartender and server, our room steward Lodovic, and even our driver Ben were perfect. We have traveled extensively throughout Africa and we have never experienced a more perfect staff who does everything possible to make your stay perfect.
The food was excellent and the Chef made every effort to satisfy our needs and the bar was fully stocked.
Overall, our experience at Gorilla Forest Camp was perfect.
We highly recommend gorilla trekking, it's an experience of a lifetime and supports critically needed gorilla conservation. If you chose to go there cannot be a better place from which to launch your gorilla trek.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim F
Sanctuary R, Manager at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Jim,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp on Tripadvisor!

We are very happy to hear you had such a wonderful time and thank you for your kind comments. We have to agree, gorilla trekking is definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you back to one of our properties in the future.

In the meantime you can keep up to date with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Gorilla Forest Camp by liking us on Facebook, just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’. We are also on Twitter (@SanctuaryRet) and Instagram (SanctuaryRetreats) if you would like to follow us.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great place to stay to visit the gorillas. Quiet location , but hear all guests coming and going. Very very quiet during the night though. Tents are comfortable but some can be a bit dingy and dark. Big bathrooms and the bath a surprise as is the 24 hour hot water! Staff are extremely helpful and polite. Internet slow but eventually works but only in the common areas. No power points in rooms. Great place to stay for start and finish of treks. Food was fresh ( very good salads and fruit) and plentiful. Wonderful to spend a quiet afternoon in camp. Washing happily done. This review reflects the fact that the local village doesn't even have running water and we have china basins and baths. The beer is also nice and cold!!!
The light switch for the outside light is on the pole below it!!!

Room Tip: You will hear every early departure and late arrival.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sanctuary R, Manager at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for all your kind comments especially about they staff they were very pleased with your feedback. We appreciate the constructive feedback as well and will look into the issues you highlighted...

We hope to welcome you back one day soon and we will have the cold beers waiting!!

You can keep up to date with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Gorilla Forest Camp by liking us on Facebook, just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’. We are also on Twitter (@SanctuaryRet) and Instagram (SanctuaryRetreats) if you would like to follow us.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My second visit to GFC, two years after the first, was a true pleasure - again. The location is unbeatable, the rooms extremely comfortable, and Jackson a terrific manager who seems to be able to fix just about anything you need help with. Being able to take a hot bath after a long day of gorilla tracking is a very welcome bonus! The food varies between good and excellent, and it's nice to always have two choices for each dish. Power is somewhat irregular but can generally be arranged. Wifi is also irregular, but is not always within the power of the camp staff to fix: the location is remote, and the connection simply isn't that reliable. If that happens, you're better off just enjoying the solitude and relax anyway!

Room Tip: The rooms higher up have nicer views, but also longer walks up the stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
SanctuaryRetreats_2, Manager at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this lovely review we are pleased that this was your second visit with us and that you enjoyed it.

thank you for your kind comments expecially about Jackson her was very please with your feedback.

The power and wifi is something we are currently looking into and hope to have this rectified as soon as possible.

Thank you once again and hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back a third time?

Would be great if you could keep up to date with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Gorilla Forest Camp by liking us on Facebook, just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’. We are also on Twitter (@SanctuaryRet) and Instagram (SanctuaryRetreats) if you would like to follow us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

other reviews have it right. this is a great place to stay. the rooms/tents are very comfortable and quiet. the lounge/bar and restaurant are first rate. watch monkeys play while you eat. very close to kick off point for gorilla trek. special thanks to lodovic for doing such a great job on the room.

Room Tip: all rooms/tents are superb and separate from others
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan A

Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

We shared your feedback with the team and they were very pleased with your comments, especially Lodovic..

We hope to welcome you back again one day soon..

It would be great if you can keep up to date with the latest news from Sanctuary Retreats and Gorilla Forest Camp by liking us on Facebook, just search for ‘Sanctuary Retreats’. We are also on Twitter (@SanctuaryRet) and Instagram (SanctuaryRetreats) if you would like to follow us.