“One to avoid”
Review of Vidya Niwas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dharamsala
Vidya Niwas
holmfirth
“One to avoid”
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stayed here having been lured by the web site. I was appauled at the standard of cleanliness (I cleaned the bathroom myself before I could use it) and by the dreadful food. The house is not conveniently positioned being 2 bus rides from Macleod. The owners are OK but were not at all happy when I tried to check out early, I had a bad stomach infection so they caught me at my most vulnerable and insisted that I stay the whole 4 days which were absolutely the worst of my 4 month trip to India.

• Liked — friendly daughter
  • Disliked — food, accomodation, owners
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank tosu

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Wonderful four day stay at Vidya Niwas. Arvind and Sanjeeta made us very welcome and were keen to share their knowledge of the area and Arvind was a great guide when we were exploring the beautiflu surrounding countryside.
Sanjeeta is a great cook and we really enjoyed all our meals with the family.

Rooms had themes, our was Tibetan and we had a balcony with great viewsof the mountains.

Certainly would recommend as a place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the very touristy McCleod Gange.

• Liked — welcome given by Arvind and Sangeeta and their knowledge of the area.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
illinois
Reviewed 7 June 2008

I stayed in the Gurung's Home with my wife in September. We had come from the U.S.A to see Kangra and Dharamsala. This place is located in a very beautiful area. The View is great, It is veyr peaceful. The owners have very good knowledge of practical life. It was wonderful talking to them. I wish them the best. If I come back I will stay here for sure.

• Liked — The location and the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bookworm22arun
USA
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I arrived in Dharamsala with one of my friends. We stayed at Vidya Niwas for sometime before going for our five day trek in Himachal Pradesh. Although we were enthusiastic trekkers we had no wish to even leave Vidya Niwas, we still remeber the awsome food we ate there and we learnt on Himalayan culture through the themed room. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends. The owners are charming and helpful and you can meet them for any help.

• Liked — The Food was amazing and the wonderful thematic rooms had a great ambience.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Mount Kisco, NY
Reviewed 28 October 2007

When we first arrived at Vidya Niwas we had been travelling a very long way by car from Amritsar. We arrived later than we had expected and were very tired. Both Sangeeta & Arvind were there to greet us with chai and snacks. They could not have been more welcoming. We said that we may need to change our plans because our friends were in McLeod Ganj proper and they said not to worry – if we had to we could change our plans with no consequence. But first they wanted us to see their Guest House and relax from our long day. After spending time in the busy towns of Dharamsala and McLeod Ganj we were SO HAPPY at the end of the day to come back to Vidya Niwas where we could go out on the roof and stare at the beautiful stars with the snow capped Himalayans in the background. We heard crickets and the little waterfall.

We never changed our hotel plans because we LOVED staying in The Golok Princess room at Vidya Niwas. I felt like I was home. It was so comfortable and it even had a beautiful Buddhist shrine in the room for meditation. Both Sangeeta & Arvind made us beautiful and delicious breakfasts and entertained us with their stories and information about Dharamsala and India. They were both such a wealth of information.

I will never forget this beautiful place and plan on coming back again to stay for a longer time. Sangeeta & Arvind are involved in so many wonderful local projects and have such great access to yoga, meditation, trekking and all activities that I will probably need at least a month next time. Thank you both for being so wonderful!

Lynn
Mount Kisco, NY USA

• Liked — The owners, room and breakfasts
  • Disliked — a taxi ride from the town of McLeod Ganj
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank KarunaReikiMaster
dharamsala, india
Reviewed 9 March 2007

Two weeks has not been enough for the soul! We booked Vidya Niwas as a guest house to simply take bed and breakfast. The purpose of our visit was to attend the teachings of HH The Dalai Lama. It was meant to be a spiritual journey which we thought would take place only in the Temple. At Vidya Niwas, however, the journey was nutured and extended beyond expectation, with the hospitality of The Gurungs. We have enjoyed '5 star treatment where mountains meet Heaven! We have talked Buddhism, Nepal, Himal Pradesh, China, our own families over wonderful 3 course dinners. We have laughed and listened. The Vidya Niwas experience is a tonic that has come as a complete package - and can only be experienced to revitalise!! David & Fi Goodrich, UK.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lamala
israel
Reviewed 22 September 2006

We Dalit & Giyora highly recommend Vidya Niwas in Dharamsala, India. It set in one of the most beautiful valleys in thr regin.
Arvind and Sangeeta Gurung, hosts at Vidya Niwas, are extremely knowledgeable about Dharamsala and northern India.
Sangeeta is an amazing cook.
We highly recommend Vidya Niwas as a peaceful and energizing place to rest and revitalize your body, mind and spirit.

Stayed October 2005