“It stays the same!”
Review of Vidya Niwas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dharamsala
Vidya Niwas
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Been back to see Arvind & Sangeeta at Vidya Niwas, on the road out from Dharmsala, the place is starting to look a bit worn - could do with a bit of painting & decorating, but the friendliness of them both, the good food, the yapping dogs, the peace and quiet are all to be looked forward to. A bit of a haven in a noisy overcrowded India.
It's interesting to see, and I have been going for four or five years, that there is few negative comments on Trip Advisor. Most places I stay at in India (or elsewhere) seem to attract negative critisism - I certainly leave it if I am dissatisfied or ripped-off, when things don't please; few folks leave positive comment. But thats human nature.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank 1777NT
There are newer reviews for Vidya Niwas

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Their experience in international hotels and their contacts in the Dharamsala area compliment the home stay of Arvind and Sangeeta. I liked their warm company at any time of day, leading onto evening meals becoming lively discussions! The home cooked food was very good and the bedroom was comfortable. Being a little away from the town, the area is peaceful, with excellent views across the valley and to the snow capped mountains in the other direction. If you are expecting 5 star facilities, then this is not for you, but then neither is the price! However, both Arvind and Sangeeta offered me 5 star hospitality, which has not been bettered anywhere in India and I expect to stay again in 2010.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I cannot imagine a better place to spend my first month in India free from school and free from the world, than this beautiful home and family. The time I spent gazing at the hills was priceless and the food was amazing. Thank you so much. Love and blessing, Will return soon.

Steve

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2009

What began as a simple internet search for housing in Dharamsala during His Holiness the Dalai Lama teachings has ended up being one of the most calm and cozy experiences while travelling in India. The surrounding sights and sounds the elegant and comfortable room, the amazing food, the many conversations with all members have made this stay a refreshing break from my life in Delhi. Iam looking forward to a future return trip to Vidya Niwas with my husband to enjoy it all over again. Many blessings..! Jen

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2009

After a tiring road trip and a land slide on the way, we were looking forward to our stay at a decent, cosy guest house run by a local couple - Arvind & Sangita. On arrival, our first sight
was a house of sub-standard architecture - designed by owners with no background in design, uncleaned green moss on the walls, pealing paint and a slippery (green moss) leading
upto the house. Most of the rooms have a separate entrance from outside. This could be an advantage for guests seeking privacy. This was not too attractive for me since I had narrow,
slippery, uncovered stairs to climb up to my room during the monsoons. The room was austere, furnished with ordinary furniture & decorations. It gave the feel of a cheap lodge.

The house is built on several levels with uneven steps - quite risky if you are travelling with senior citizens - as was our case. We had our meals in the the hosts' dining room. It was cramped, had dangerous steps leading upto the dining table and we could see the rats running around the kitchen. Enough to kill a hungry man's appetite. The food was local Himachal Pradesh cuisine - very similar to any home cooked meal in India, nothing out of the ordinary. Though, the warmth, hospitality, friendliness and local information provided by hosts' running the guest house was exceptional. The serene ambience and view was spectacular. But, this was true of many other Dharamshala hotels we checked out later. Besides, Vidya Niwas was almost 40 minutes drive fromt the mall road - center of all activity, the main market and most other sightseeing points. I would give it a single star rating.

Steer clear unless it's a long stay and you find the tarriff too attractive.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Gkhattar
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stayed here having been lured by the web site. I was appauled at the standard of cleanliness (I cleaned the bathroom myself before I could use it) and by the dreadful food. The house is not conveniently positioned being 2 bus rides from Macleod. The owners are OK but were not at all happy when I tried to check out early, I had a bad stomach infection so they caught me at my most vulnerable and insisted that I stay the whole 4 days which were absolutely the worst of my 4 month trip to India.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank tosu
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Wonderful four day stay at Vidya Niwas. Arvind and Sanjeeta made us very welcome and were keen to share their knowledge of the area and Arvind was a great guide when we were exploring the beautiflu surrounding countryside.
Sanjeeta is a great cook and we really enjoyed all our meals with the family.

Rooms had themes, our was Tibetan and we had a balcony with great viewsof the mountains.

Certainly would recommend as a place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the very touristy McCleod Gange.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends