“An excellent complete package. Ultimate Hampi experience.”
Review of Gopi Guest House

Gopi Guest House
Ranked #4 of 44 Hampi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed in Gopi guest house for 2 nights. It is a great place to stay in Hampi. It has very clean rooms at very reasonable rates. And to add on to your experience it has a roof top restaurant with an amazing view of the Virupaksha temple. The place is lively and all the time thronged by tourists. It serves very good food and almost all cuisines. For me it was a complete package. Used to sleep in my room, relax in the roof top restaurants and all my meals were without a doubt at the roof top restaurant.
And as if this is not enough, Gopi guest house has a very friendly owner named Kiran. He guided me on which all places to visit in Hampi on all three days. In short, made my entire travel plan when I was in Hampi :) If you get a chance - do meet him :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anubhav26488

Reviewed 18 January 2013

The atmosphere, the food, the rooms and views were wonderful but the best part was the great communication both online and in person by Kiran and his staff. Our only hope for this guest house is that is saved from the governments plans to change Hampi into a high end Agra and loose the charm of the Hampi bazaar and it's residents.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 15 January 2013

POSITIVE: very clean room, towels and bedding clean.
NEGATIVE: very noisy - restaurant right above room with thumping music and noisy kitchen with loud blenders whirring above my head all evening! ; overpriced compared to other places in area.

If I went to Hampi again I would cross the river to where there are spacious accommodations with outdoor seating areas, great views, relaxed atmosphere, and less cost. The settlement at the centre of Hampi is crowded and soulless, though the scenery around it is fabulous. It can all be better appreciated across the river.

Room Tip: I believe the new block is quieter as there is no kitchen noise, but I imagine the thumping music ca...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I haven't been to the hotel itself, hence I cannot give any information on the accomodation at Gopi Guest House. However, I made a weird experience with the booking process. We wanted to book online and received a phone call from the hotel, telling us that we have to pay at once to avoid higher fees and asking for our visa number. I didn't like the fact that it was not possible to pay in cash "on the spot" upon arrival (the staff member said the fees would be higher in that case). Furthermore, I also didn't like that I was not able to do the payment by myself. I stopped the process when the staff member asked for my password and decided not to stay there. If I cannot pay after having seen the rooms, I don't want to stay there at all.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Having stayed in India for three months this is my worst experience I have had with a guest house. These guys make up rules as they go along. When I got in I was offered an upgrade for my room. They told me I would pay the 'normal price' for the first night and would pay a higher price for the upgraded room on the second night. This seemed like a good deal and I went along with it. When I had to pay on check-out they said no such an offer was made and that I had to pay full rate for both nights. I had just 'misunderstood them', as they put it.

The food is not great. I had to wait an hour for breakfast. Also, one time I ordered spaghetti and got penne instead. They did not bother to tell me that spaghetti had run out and they just cooked me another meal that they put in front of me without prior notice. Whats more, the food was cold.

Third, I used their laundry service and noticed a few days later in Mysore that some of my items were missing. I sent them a message whether they had found my lost items (pair of trousers and socks) and if they could send these to my home adress. They didn't even bother to reply to my message and I have not heard from them since. They were very quick to reply when I mailed in advance to ask if they had any accommodation available though.

The only good thing about this place was the travel agency downstairs. They offered tours in Hampi and surroundings for very reasonable prices and the staff was friendly and helpful. A big contrast from the guesthouse itself.

Room Tip: Don't go into the upgrade offer!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank HanskeJanske
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The new block of Gopi Guesthouse is clean and well facilitated with basic needs. Bed is clean and you just get towels. There is AC too. Rooms are spacious. Though was expensive since it was peak season in January, but for a night or two is fine. Do enquire about hot water as we didnt get it in night and very early in morning. It was not cold though. For food, there are many options around including a rooftop restaurant on top of Gopi. Service- We reached late in night at 9 and could not spot anyone around after taking the room. Do not expect a reception or any such thing. Corner rooms would give you sunlight windows but open out on the street

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Location of this guest house is good.

The rooftop restaurant is nice but service is very slow

Rooms are not clean. Please fork out for some new sheets!! They were all ripped, stained and weren't even the correct size for the bed...didn't cover it all.

Room was not clean...I am not even convinced that it had been cleaned before we got in. My pillow case was dirty and bathroom was not clean

Also, check in time and check out time can't be the same or else the person checking in is always going to be waiting while room is "cleaned". When you get off an overnight train it is desirable that you get your room from the time you are paying for it

Person in charge of place (young man) did his best while owner was away and was v nice

Overall I think we paid a lot for what we got

• Stayed: January 2013