“Good value accommodation - with A/C”
Review of Gopi Guest House

and 1 more site!
Gopi Guest House
Ranked #5 of 43 Hampi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Very pleasant staff manage this little hotel in the heart of the bazaar - close to the main sites and the river.
Great roof top restaurant which serves good food and is a great place to hang around for a few hours during he heat of he afternoon.

Hampi is going through major changes as the Indian archeological survey is removing high rise(three storey) buildings and those that encroach on the ruins. This means the bazaar has shrunk making it less crowded, but in peak season it could be hard to get somewhere to stay.

Whist appreciating the need to protect this world heritage site! Te Indian authorities need to understand tat the car of Hampi is he close relationship between the past and e urgent living immunity. If it becomes a 'dead site' it will be only a fraction of the value of te visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed at the Gopi Guest House for 2 nights (the new wing). The most important thing to note when making a decision to stay in Hampi city is that all the options are very basic, no frills options. There is no major development allowed within the city (much like Tajganj in Agra) and one needs to compromise on creature comforts if one wants to enjoy Hampi city by night.

Knowing this, I was prepared for staying in a basic room. The only thing I came looking for was a clean room. Luckily we got that at Gopi guest house. The other saving grace was the presence of an a/c, the importance of which cannot be understated. The food in the rooftop restaurant was very decent and worth repeating. The folk were also able to get our car into the city for us to park right outside the building, which helps, since you can stuck badly in the mayhem of the bus stand.

On a aside, one should be prepared for systematic power outages every evening at Hampi if staying in the city. The commercial establishments should not be held responsible for this.

All in all, one of the more decent options to stay within Hampi City.

Room Tip: New wing, new wing, new wing....with a/c
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We visited Hampi in November 2012. Good accommodation. Very courteous and friendly staff. Special mention is a must regarding the food, it's awesome. You don't need to go anywhere else... I would definitely recommend it to stay. Don't miss the roof top restaurant with the temple view.

Room Tip: Get a room In the new building
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We got to Hampi after an endless train ride, so quite naturally we wanted to check in at Gopi asap (I had booked & paid for the room in advance). We were asked to wait a bit - turns our 'a bit' means an hour (FYI, it was around 5pm). Once we were finally taken to our "deluxe" room, it turned out to be filthy, dodgy and with leakage in the bathroom.
We refused to stay there (and believe me, I really am not a picky tourist - all I need is a clean bathroom and clean sheets).
As always, we had to haggle a bit, we then went to look around for another hotel (even if it meant losing the money I had paid online).
Thankfully, the owner arranged for us to stay in a hotel on the opposite side of the road, which was WAY better.

I would give Gopi a terrible/poor grade for that disgustingly dirty room they wanted to put us in, but I do appreciate that the staff came around and sent us to another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Super nice guesthouse in Hampi! I stayed in the 'old block' for 11 nights in a basic room which was very clean, light, big and comfortable with warm shower also. Perfect. The family that runs the guesthouse (and also the attached restaurant by the way), is super nice and hospitable. Always there to help you out or give any advice if you need it. Yeah, I really enjoyed my stay and can highly recommend this place to anyone. Also the rooftop restaurant with a nice view over the temple is so good, I had almost every breakfast, lunch and dinner during my stay there!

Room Tip: There are 2 blocks, the old block which provides basic rooms (I think they are very good and suitabl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed at Gopi for 3 weeks in Feb. , it's a good family run business , clean rooms , fan , hot water & mossie net , & as a bonus in India , quiet . Also a restaurant on the roof with good views all round . I'll definitely revisit when the time comes .

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The food is first class and the staff are very friendly. After a problem elsewhere we were made very welcome and our faith in human nature was restored. The food is excellent as is the service. Wi Fi is a big bonus here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple