“Central and great staff”
Review of Gopi Guest House

and 1 more site!
Gopi Guest House
Ranked #5 of 43 Hampi B&B and Inns
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Central and great staff”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Hampi is being cleared up, and demolition of homes have happened, the bazaar is being restored to its original state, sadly for the local residents who have to move out and are only given a small piece of land as compensation. Gopi is very central, very comfortable and extremely friendly. The staff are kind and helpful especially VEERU, thank you. Room a little dark, in the new block, but we did ask for a quiet room and it was. Food in the roof restaurant in our opinion was excellent and breakfast, which was included in our rate kept us going for the day. Glad we were this side of the river. Recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
gopiguesthouse, Manager at Gopi Guest House, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for your nice review,i hope you were happy about our service but one thing i want to tell we everyday learn something different from our guests and we try to provide our best service to new guests by learning from our old guests,so everyday is new to us we learn something new.I hope we will try to provide best service then you were before and make their stay happy in hampi.Thank you.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our family of 4 stayed at Gopi Guest house for 3 nights over Christmas. Its in a great location, but Hampi town could be relocated soon by UNESCO so go soon as the little township amongst temples is very interesting with quaint market stalls and fantastic cafes. Helpful, polite and friendly staff. You and your luggage may be collected from carpark. Fabulous breakfast included, choose Indian or continental with yummy home made muesli and yogurt, eggs, toast and tea/coffee. Their cafe has lovely views from rooftop with all veg food with so much choice from Mexican, Japanese, Nepalese, Italian, etc. Indian food is delicious and Almond Lassi. Wifi free at cafe. Rooms are basic as you would expect for about $10-$12 per night B&B, clean with firm comfortable beds, fan, secured with padlock and have bathroom with hot water. Perfect for crashing in at night and afternoon naps as the surroundings of this town are so incredible you are out of the room visiting sites and eating. Hampi and Gopi worth a visit of at least 2 nights, we could have stayed longer to see more of the sites, perhaps 4 nights would be perfect. Bottled water available on streets or at cafes at 30r for 2lt.

Room Tip: No need for AC in December
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
gopiguesthouse, Manager at Gopi Guest House, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Depumpkin,
Thank you for your review and we are very happy to hear such good things about Gopi. We noticed you mentioned the sleep quality and cleanliness in the rating, we will try our best to improve this to make Gopi a better place. We hope to see you in our hotel again and next time we hope the experience will be excellent. Thank you. Regards, Gopi Guest House
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After spending a few days in the "hippie" side of the river, decided spend a few on the Bazaar side. The Bazaar area feels a little dead now and most people have an uncertain and despondent look on their faces because of the upcoming demolitions. People reading this review months from now would probably find Gopi relocated elsewhere and I sure hope that's not the case.

Despite the troubles with the authorities, the people at Gopi were very friendly and welcoming. I had a look at the rooms in the old block and although, they were (kinda) cheap at 500 Rs., the ones facing the road were just poor value. I settled for a room in the new block which spacious and clean enough. I found the restaurant to be a tired rehash of the usual backpacker cafe menus you get everywhere from Manali to Goa and the food is typically bland.

The wi-fi never worked when I was there with the manager assuring me every day that it would. I was told initially that if internet doesn't work at Gopi, it wouldn't work anywhere in the bazaar. A lazy afternoon spent at the Rocky Guest House restaurant right opposite busted that myth as wifi was working very well there.

Nevertheless, the room was decent enough but they just wouldn't offer me a deal despite the fact that I was traveling solo and paying more than the double occupancy rates some of my neighbours were paying. If you're going there, especially if you're an Indian and traveling solo, bargain hard.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block are much nicer.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Traveholics
gopiguesthouse, Manager at Gopi Guest House, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
We are sorry that the internet did not work during your stay. We have resolved the problem by replacing the router. We are also sorry to hear you were disappointed in the price of the hotel room. We always try and accommodate each guest and their wishes.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nights here in Dec 13, the staff are great and were able to pre-book my room on the phone and came to pick me up in a rickshaw. One of those rare places in India where you don't feel scammed or ripped off at all. The hotel is well situated in Hampi bazaar and close to the main temple there. There are 3 categories of room, I had the cheapest in the old block which was basic and fan only but in December this was adequate (pricier rooms in the new main building a few metres away have AC). The restaurant is really good and I had dinner there many times and its also a good social space to meet other travellers too. The only downside I can think of with this place is the wifi is really really patchy, either not working or if you are in the old block then non-existent when I was there...However Hampi is not known for great Internet facilities in general anyway. They also have a good travel agency ran by one of the group of brothers that run the place. Fully recommended by me.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nawaz1980
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Gopi has very extremly friendly and helpful employees.they picked me up and droped me off. so nicely. I enjoyed my stay very much. The room was clean and usual simple as in India usually. Dont expect too much from the shower but at least warm water. bring u own toilet paper. But u will stay all the time outside. Its located in the heart of hampi next to the main temple with a breath keeping view. I loved it so much and food is cheap and amazing good -also very flexible with wishes ( u didnt find so often in India). THANKS GOPI i hope u can stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nimue23
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My stay at Gopi was really lovely, I enjoyed the staff they were super friendly and more than willing to help and answer any questions. The restaurant which I ate most of my meals was consistently good, the food was very tasty. I also was able to attend yoga practice on the rooftop each morning which was a great start to the day. The room was clean, nice and comfortable. I really recommend Gopis' because it was very welcoming, good central location and overall a good experience.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chrussy
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Cheerfully decorated room with good air-conditioning. Friendly, helpful but not pushy staff. Kirwan helped us to confirm our Railway tickets (we were waiting list!) & we ate with good food in the terrace/restaurant. Good for all meals in the day & great for relaxing out of the direct sun - wi fi friendly - wide menu.

Room Tip: We were in the "new block" on the same level as the restaurant, excellent position & n...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple