Thilak Home Stay
  • Restaurant
US$68
US$66
  • Breakfast included
Clarks Inn Hampi(Hampi)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$62
US$49
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshome staythe ownerhampi bazaarrickshaw driverbicycle tourguest housegreat place to staylovely guyair conhospet train stationmain templethe riverthe location is perfecthot waterclean bathroomnice guesthousemango tree
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Located in the tiny village of Hampi close to the Virupaksha temple, this clean and tidy accomodation is absolutely recommendable!

Kishor, the owner, arranged my Airport pick-up well ahead of time, a conditio-sine-qua-non for me to decide to come to Hampi, as I had very little time for my trip and this great place is quite out of the way. The driver was on time, he was a little inexperienced and maps are not en-vogue in rural India, as it seems, as this was a repeated observation during my Karnataka trip.

The room was tidy, clean, simple, but appealingly furnished. There was a ceiling fan as well as a well functoning air condition. Towels and bed sheets were provided, hot water was available at any time of the day. There was no bug-problem in my room. Although considered unneccessary, Kishor helped hanging up my treated mosquitonet - retrospectively was this the only place on my entire trip, where this was possible.

W-Lan was on-and-off, supposedly a village-wide problem, power-cuts are not unusal in this part of the world and did not exceed the average number of occurence.

What requires a littel getting-used-to is the number of animals running around in the village's streets at night. Due to the construction of houses in Hampi, they can be heard really well within the house too - so in a future stay I'd try to get rooms to the back of the building, not towards the street.

Kishor was available, when needed, always friendly and helpful. His rates on travel-cheque and cash change was the best in the village. Not quite as good as bank rates in Mangalore and Kannur - then again, the banks in Hampi and Kamalapuram did not offer currency exchange, so there was no other option, than consulting a private agency. He also organized my onward trip at a rate I was not able to get at a later point in time (8 IR/km). For the rest of the time he was very unobstrusive.

As a Rickshawdriver I strongly recommend Lingappa - who has the same pleasantly quiet and non-pushy nature.

The biggest surprise in the end was, that due to the fact, that it was clearly off-season still, Kishor reduced the room price by > 25% on check-out, although I had agreed to the suggested price months ago.And this is clearly a once-in-a-blue-moon experience on an India trip!

I do plan going to Hampi some time in the not to distant future and I will stay at this homestay again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Travellingesther
Reviewed 21 October 2013

First of all, Hampi is a magical place so it's a pleasure just being there. The place is very clean and is really focussed on what Western tourists want. The restaurant on the other side of the street belongs to the same owners and is excellent as well. All in all a great overall package!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
ThilakHomeStay, Owner at Thilak Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest

Greetings from Thilak Home Stay : Hampi!!!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It is a great privilege for us!
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our hotel ,
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback .

Looking forward to see you again in Our Heritage Hampi.

Regards
Kishor

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived Hospet in the morning by sleeperbus and Hampi was a relief after the hustle in Bangalore. We stayed for five nights and had no problems. Wifi and clean rooms just a few yards from the main temple. Run by a friendly family and the service is top notch!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stay here for a week. The guest house is clean, free wifi in room, good position, hot water, towel and sheets included. The place offer laundry service. Thilak is a really nice person, reliable. Besides it is possible to book the place on the train or on the bus for any destination. Price is very good. Absolutely recommended! If we come back in Hampi, we will return here surely!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ThilakHomeStay, Owner at Thilak Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest

Greetings from Thilak Home Stay : Hampi!!!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It is a great privilege for us!
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our hotel ,
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback .

Looking forward to see you again in Our Heritage Hampi.

Regards
Kishor

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Thilak guest house is an excellent place to stay. The owner Kishor is absolutely helpful and will go out of his way to ensure you are comfortable and taken care of. I was travelling alone and was really worried about a lot of things. Kishor helped organize everything for me and the process was really smooth. I didn't have to think about anything as Kishor ensured that everything was well in place.

The location is fab. The home stay is very close to the river and to the Virupaksha temple. The people are brilliant. Very warm. They also have a rooftop restaurant which I would highly recommend. Absolutely loved their food. The wi-fi was excellent as well.

All in all - a totally recommended place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo