“Disappointing accommodation”
Review of Thilak Home Stay

Thilak Home Stay
Ranked #4 of 43 Hampi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Basic room, with double bed, no other furniture, and no window. No outdoor sitting space. Not good value for 2500 Rs. Although the family live on the premises, it felt more like a B and B than a homestay. Very nice breakfast is served in the cafe across the street, which was also very good for other meals.

Room Tip: Front rooms have windows onto the street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I had an amazing time at Thilak guesthouse.. Kishor made sure that I had a comfortable stay and was always ready to help.. the rooftop restaurant had some of the most delicious food I had in Hampi... Admittedly, the room that I had was not the best (poor ventilation I think) but Kishor's hospitality made up for it.. It is reasonably priced and good value for money place..

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I had a wonderful time in Hampi, made even more pleasant by staying at Thilak..!
Kish's great local knowledge and entrepreneurial expertise made everything possible.
When my partner had a bad scooter accident, Kish (owner/manager) looked after us completely. He re-arranged bookings so we could still stay after leaving the hospital, sent a car to pick us up, helped with onward arrangements, and generally took charge of our well-being till my partner was well enough to leave.
We are eternally grateful and indebted to him, and other friends of mine have stayed with him after hearing our story of his kindness.
I couldn't recommend Thilak highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed in one of the two front rooms with air con and a window facing the street and it was great. The homestay's rooftop Chillout restaurant across the street was great as well, good food and excellent value for money, including complimentary breakfast. Any needs we had, Kish the manager/owner helped us out, whether it was an extra pillow or organising a tour, he is the Hampi go-to guy, and a delightful fellow. Computers with internet were free for guests to use in his office. We stayed 3 nights, 4 days, which is a minimum for checking out most of what the area has to offer.

Room Tip: We preferred the front rooms with window.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Because of the laudative comments sent

Because of the laudative comments written by supposedly well seasoned travellers, I had booked for a room with AC from Goa.
I was met by the rickshaw at the station, as said ( which is a service provided by all guest houses in India).The location is right in the middle of Hampi village, like so many other homestays and guest houses.No problem for finding a place !

On arrival, i could not believe my eyes to see that my room( and others) was windowless.No balcony, no terrace and no window.What a cheek to charge an extortionate 2000Rps for a windowless room, even if it is clean !Ludicrous and unbelievable !

It is real easy to find super accommodation in Hampi at very reasonable prices.Within five minutes, I had found a a lovely bright room with a private terrace tem meters away for 750 Rps, with fan (in November, AC is not necessary).
One morning, from my terrace, could hear the row made by a couple of tourists who were as shocked as i had been for the same reason,shouting that those windowless rooms were a rip off They fled, the way I had done.

What is beyond my understanding is the raving of fellow travellers about that place !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pastelchris
ThilakHomeStay, Manager at Thilak Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guest

Greetings from Thilak Home Stay : Hampi!!!

Can you tell me when did you stayed in my place. We know Our AC room has with lots of facilities which we provide breakfast and transport and tours. In our register book shows that you have never booked a room in our place. please don't write a fake review.

Please don't be FAKE Traveler!

I wish you all the best!

Thank you!!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This place was amazing to stay at, the location is great, the rooms are super clean and spacious. The staff are really friendly and can get you good deals on tours through Kish, the owners son. Even in peak season the prices were good. Best place in Hampi.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Have been traveling all around India over the past 3 months and have to say this is one of the nicest and cleanest places I have stayed in and it was certainly good value for money! Kish the manager is an absolute gem aswell. Any questions I had he managed to answer and nothing was ever to much trouble for him. The restaurant over the road called Chill Out did some excellent breakfasts to. I stayed here for 4 days which was perfect but would love to go back. If you are after a friendly, clean reasonably priced room then Thilak Home Stay is the place to go!
Thank you so much.
Smily

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampi
Heritage Resort Hampi
Clarks Inn Hampi
Clarks Inn Hampi
#1 of 6 in Hampi
Hotel Mayura Bhuvaneshwari Kamalapur
Shivavilas Palace, HAMPI (An ITC WelcomHeritage Hotel)
Rocky Guesthouse
Rocky Guesthouse
#2 of 43 in Hampi
Kishkinda Heritage Resort

Been to Thilak Home Stay? Share your experiences!