“Fancy tents”
Review of The Orchha Resort

The Orchha Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Orchha
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here as part of a group travel with G Adventures. It was listed as a night in a tent so that is what we expected. In fact, part of this resort is a typical hotel, but we stayed in cabins that were made to look like tents. They were a bit rustic but comfortable and clean with AC...quite pleasant. And it was hard to beat the setting with ancient burial "temples" in the background. The resort swimming pool was very nice, if dominated by the men guests who were a bit rowdy. The dining room had a buffet which was a bit pricey and typical OK food, although , because it was quite busy, they did run out of dessert! Orccha was lovely. Shopping is quite good. It was a nice break from our hectic schedule.

Room Tip: We set out to eat downtown on the alley between the fort and temple one morning for breakfast. Bewa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LeeTed
There are newer reviews for The Orchha Resort

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Up in the hills above the Betwa River and the Old Town of Orchha lie many of the temples and cenotaphs that make this city famous. Up here my group paid a visit to the dining room at the Orchha Resort for a lovely buffet lunch. This part of the country seems to focus on vegetarian diet, and there was no meat served at this lunch. Protein came from a variety of pulses, a very nice chana masala dish, and curried hard-boiled eggs. The naan was plentiful; the dishes were all quite delicious; and the dining room was beautifully decorated.

The staff was friendly and there was a very nice gift shop on site. We took time to see the hotel and pool and walked up to the gardens that are terraced above the resort. It was a very pleasant hour and a half that we spent at this resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank redeco
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all I must say from the core of my heart that I am in love with Orchha! I was born in the same state not far from here but never had the opportunity of experiencing it live, until now. It is a land of palaces & forts, religion & faith, history & past with warmth that last & linger for a long time.

Most of the accommodations in Orchha are huge, palatial kinds, some maintained some not but the common factor lies in their urgency to help & welcome with an open heart. Most of the properties are reasonably priced compared to what they offer.

I chose this property because:

1. I planned to book on the day of travel & nothing else was available.
2. It was in my budget.
3. The online pictures looked decent.
4. Reviews about the property were good.

But to my surprise I got more....

1. I stayed in a delux tented accommodation which was clean, with two separate toilets, big enough to accommodate.
2. The guy at the reception was not so cool, I guess he was new & needed more training. But the other staff were very helpful, kind & efficient with an eagerness to help.
3. The best part came in the morning. As I checked-in, in the night, there was a surprise waiting for me outside my tent in the morning. It was the view! I opened my eyes to history. A sight I had never seen before! They were a group of Cenotaphs which appeared to be like old temples or some palaces. I was amazed & puzzled at the same time to see them so close(from my tent) & not know what they were. It was being transported back in time.
4. The food was buffet style but when I told one of the serving staff that I had particular choices in food, they customised & made me what I wanted! The food was delicious & served hot.
5. The location of a property is not so important in Orchha as everything is within 1-2km reach. Most of the properties are very well located. My personal fav location was of the MP Tourism property called Sheesh Mahal, it was inside the Orchha fort!

P.S: 1.My journey just started from Orchha. There are some must visit places within a couple of hours from Orchha like Khajuraho, Panna National Park, Jhansi(18kms), Chitrakoot etc.
2. A two day visit to Orchha is a must.

I would recommend this property for all.

Room Tip: I stayed in a deluxe tent which has great views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank monica j
Reviewed 21 March 2014

There is no doubt that location of this resort is the most important factor...this so quiet, that watching a sun rise and sunset on the bank of Betwa river with old monuments in back ground...looks like a spiritual feeling. Rooms clean, but washroom can be improved. Service of staff is great....and most cool item is food. I took the package with Dinner and Morning breakfast, I would say it was total blast, amazing value for money.
I have celebrated my parents 50th Marriage Ann, so it we were only 5 family members in dinning room, cake was a complementary from Orcha resort, everyone was professional and humble. Thanks for making my trip a memorable event for me and my family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Abhishekac
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The resort as a property was fantastic, we had booked two tents for 5 people and were very impressed to see that the tents were right under the cenotaphs which was really thrilling and beautiful to look at.

The place had a pool which was a plus and was walking distance from all the major attractions around in the town.

The food though was really poor quality, the buffet lunch was horrendous and we thought they charge so much more than it actually deserves. The breakfast too was equally substandard. There was no service next to the pool, neither were there anyone to give us pool towels. This one particular waiter at the restaurant was really rude and unwilling to help, i think that stems out from the fact that we weren't of a different skin colour.

The tent was comfortable though, and the location was beautiful. The only thing that really disappointed us was we had to walk all the way to the town to rent a bicycle.

Though the burning of Holika on the eve of Holi was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Stay in the tents right under the cenotaphs, its beautiful there at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GauravPramanik
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

+ Nice hotel, quiet, nice swimming pool
+/- average breakfast and lunch, average position and cleanliness.
- a little bug in our room. The staff was friendly, but too "fishing for tipps" for my taste.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Orchha is a town in Tikamgarh district of Madhya Pradesh state, India. Orchha resort is
Situated on the banks of river Betwa, about 18 Kms from Jhansi railway station, 'The Orchha Resort' is located in a calm and serene zero polluted area. Completely away from the hustle –bustle of town. Ideal place to relax. This resort has got well decorated compact rooms with all the amenities. Best available resort in orchha. Hotel staff is very courteous and accommodative. Ideal time to visit is in JAN to mid of March. Kaleva” – the restaurant offers mouth-watering Indian, Chinese & Continental cuisine. Food is O.K. Breakfast spread is quite good. Ask for fresh Prathas you will enjoy. They got a pool. We enjoyed evening poolside with the cocktails. It also has a Spa which offers Kerala Ayurveda massages with steam bath. It has tented accommodation situated in the gardens near chattries an excellent location for bird watchers not advised in winter as it is very cold.
Orchha town is on the bank of the Betwa River, which has been surrounded by a battlement wall, stands a huge palace-fort. The fort consists of several connected buildings erected at different times, the most noteworthy of which are the Raja Mahal and the Jahangir Mahal. You can also visit Raja Ram temple. Numerous cenotaphs or chhatris dot the vicinity of the fort and the Betwa River. Elsewhere about the town there is an unusual variety of temples and tombs, including the Chaturbhuj temple, which is built on a vast platform of stone. You can also visit light and sound show in the evening
Morning walk on the banks of the revier will be great. Overall very relaxing place

Room Tip: Ask for poolside rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sunflame
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orchha
Amar Mahal Orchha
#7 of 9 in Orchha
Jhansi Hotel
Jhansi Hotel
#1 of 14 in Jhansi

Been to The Orchha Resort? Share your experiences!