“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Orchha
Warminster, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

After 5 hectic days in 3 Indian cities, a horrendous 5 hour train journey followed by a bumpy, cramped taxi ride and an explosive rumbling growing in my bowels I was ready to jump in the river and end everything.

Luckily we were booked into the Orchha Resort which presented me an opportunity to unwind in picturesque surroundings in a very clean and well kept hotel. We were presented with the Maharaja suite which was very spacious and luxurious and had the best bed of the entire tour. I spent a whole day recovering in it and could not recommend a better bed in north India.

The restaurant was OK, the waiters were quite surly and seemed to make up how much tax was applied to each meal on a person by person basis, even the accountants couldn't work out how they reached their conclusions. Food was average, Beer was expensive. Free wifi and great art work in the lobby (Pictures the story of Lord Ram).

Location was nice, outside the town with a nice riverside walk to the temples. People were very friendly in general. Our stay was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the Indian cities and came at the right time. A very decent hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fat_aj999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Orchha is a place which pulls you out of urban mess and helps you to live a simple life with historical places , clean river, a small market around you.

Once inside the resort, the look and feel of being in well maintained place in the rural backdrop created it s own charm. The food quality and related service can be further improved though.

However the hotel needs to seriously work on the quality of beds as one just sinks in badly. Good part for rooms was that AC was quite effective

Ram raja temple has its own religious significance which cannot be ignored by any visitor.

The light and sound show in the evening helps in understanding the entire history of Orchha and is quite well scripted.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amit28_5
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The tents were out of commission due to a wedding celebration, so we stayed in the hotel. It was clean and beautifully decorated, with a lot of nice painting and marblework. It was an easy walk to everywhere in the beautiful town and the forts, and was in general a clean, comfortable, lovely place to relax. However the restaurant buffet is overpriced and the staff never had change despite constantly fishing for tips.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traveler T
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here as part of a group travel with G Adventures. It was listed as a night in a tent so that is what we expected. In fact, part of this resort is a typical hotel, but we stayed in cabins that were made to look like tents. They were a bit rustic but comfortable and clean with AC...quite pleasant. And it was hard to beat the setting with ancient burial "temples" in the background. The resort swimming pool was very nice, if dominated by the men guests who were a bit rowdy. The dining room had a buffet which was a bit pricey and typical OK food, although , because it was quite busy, they did run out of dessert! Orccha was lovely. Shopping is quite good. It was a nice break from our hectic schedule.

Room Tip: We set out to eat downtown on the alley between the fort and temple one morning for breakfast. Bewa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LeeTed
Warren, Massachusetts
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,650 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Up in the hills above the Betwa River and the Old Town of Orchha lie many of the temples and cenotaphs that make this city famous. Up here my group paid a visit to the dining room at the Orchha Resort for a lovely buffet lunch. This part of the country seems to focus on vegetarian diet, and there was no meat served at this lunch. Protein came from a variety of pulses, a very nice chana masala dish, and curried hard-boiled eggs. The naan was plentiful; the dishes were all quite delicious; and the dining room was beautifully decorated.

The staff was friendly and there was a very nice gift shop on site. We took time to see the hotel and pool and walked up to the gardens that are terraced above the resort. It was a very pleasant hour and a half that we spent at this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank redeco
mumbai
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all I must say from the core of my heart that I am in love with Orchha! I was born in the same state not far from here but never had the opportunity of experiencing it live, until now. It is a land of palaces & forts, religion & faith, history & past with warmth that last & linger for a long time.

Most of the accommodations in Orchha are huge, palatial kinds, some maintained some not but the common factor lies in their urgency to help & welcome with an open heart. Most of the properties are reasonably priced compared to what they offer.

I chose this property because:

1. I planned to book on the day of travel & nothing else was available.
2. It was in my budget.
3. The online pictures looked decent.
4. Reviews about the property were good.

But to my surprise I got more....

1. I stayed in a delux tented accommodation which was clean, with two separate toilets, big enough to accommodate.
2. The guy at the reception was not so cool, I guess he was new & needed more training. But the other staff were very helpful, kind & efficient with an eagerness to help.
3. The best part came in the morning. As I checked-in, in the night, there was a surprise waiting for me outside my tent in the morning. It was the view! I opened my eyes to history. A sight I had never seen before! They were a group of Cenotaphs which appeared to be like old temples or some palaces. I was amazed & puzzled at the same time to see them so close(from my tent) & not know what they were. It was being transported back in time.
4. The food was buffet style but when I told one of the serving staff that I had particular choices in food, they customised & made me what I wanted! The food was delicious & served hot.
5. The location of a property is not so important in Orchha as everything is within 1-2km reach. Most of the properties are very well located. My personal fav location was of the MP Tourism property called Sheesh Mahal, it was inside the Orchha fort!

P.S: 1.My journey just started from Orchha. There are some must visit places within a couple of hours from Orchha like Khajuraho, Panna National Park, Jhansi(18kms), Chitrakoot etc.
2. A two day visit to Orchha is a must.

I would recommend this property for all.

Room Tip: I stayed in a deluxe tent which has great views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank monica j
Gwalior, India
Reviewed 21 March 2014

There is no doubt that location of this resort is the most important factor...this so quiet, that watching a sun rise and sunset on the bank of Betwa river with old monuments in back ground...looks like a spiritual feeling. Rooms clean, but washroom can be improved. Service of staff is great....and most cool item is food. I took the package with Dinner and Morning breakfast, I would say it was total blast, amazing value for money.
I have celebrated my parents 50th Marriage Ann, so it we were only 5 family members in dinning room, cake was a complementary from Orcha resort, everyone was professional and humble. Thanks for making my trip a memorable event for me and my family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Abhishekac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orchha
Amar Mahal Orchha
#7 of 9 in Orchha
Jhansi Hotel
Jhansi Hotel
#1 of 14 in Jhansi

Been to The Orchha Resort? Share your experiences!