“Nice break from traveling around India.”

Raj Mahal The Palace
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Orchha
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My travel-companion and I came across this place on the recommendation of a cab-driver. it was still under construction. There's nothing else as nice around Orchha and we were pretty happy here. We felt we got fair value as we negotiated a room / breakfast / dinner for one price for a week. The food was the best we'd had in India (in India 4 months) and we could swim without being all covered up as it was fairly westernized here.
The first 2 days were buffet-style as they were catering to a group, but the a-la-carte menu was fantastic & the chef could do anything.
Now, the pool was what sold me on this place, but unfortunately, the maintenance was below par and it got really dirty and appeared to be growing stuff. It was resolved only when we asked.
Transportation into Orchha was an issue. We didn't mind joining the locals on their loaded down auto-rickshaw shuttle between Orchha and Jahnsi but it may not suit everyone.
If you need a break from the tourist route, I'd highly recommend this place. I think it was about $58 Canadian on our "under-construction" deal. It's bound to go up though.

Room Tip: Probably any of the rooms are fine. It's just personal preference.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Raj Mahal The Palace

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had poor experience in this hotel. When we reached there from Khajuraho around 3.30pm, I was surprised to note that our room is not ready (though their check out time is 11 am) and had to wait for more than 30 mins to get into the room. Then we wanted to have lunch and asked for if buffet is available. When we were about to start the buffet lunch, I felt ashamed to explore that we are digging into someone's lunch party. Then we finally managed to get horrible a-la-carte option of chicken (bad in taste with lots of oil and smaller than standard portion in any restaurant). In the evening, we found that there is a DJ is being organized for the same party celebration and then we exactly felt like we were into a marriage venue, that defeated the whole purpose of visiting Orchha, to relax near to the nature. Bad experience did not stop there, there is no transport available in the hotel (when enquired about taxi) and they suggested taking a 3-wheeler (only option available as public transport in Orchha) from the deserted main road. And to speak about their service, I had to call reception for everything which was supposed to be there in the room (toiletries, towels etc.). When asked about shampoo and dental kit, they told, they did not have those (you expect all these at the price range they are offering) and only provide normal water (no bottled packaged drinking water) in jugs. Only good thing is that, the rooms are spacious. I would never recommend this hotel to my friends considering its location, service and poor quality food. Thanks to Yadav bhaiya (auto driver) for whom we were able to see the beautiful Orchha and reach Jhansi to board Shatabdi.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sousinn
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is the second time the Hotel exceeded my expectation in terms of service and their delicious food at Rajsi Bhoj Restaurant the Staff of the hotel once again make my trip to Orchha enjoyable beyond my expectations the Check in was very swift their Suite #117 was as beautiful as it was ever, particularly the combination of Jacuzzi & Sauna in the suite room was wonderful for me & my wife both enjoyed to the fullest then the beautiful swimming pool experience made our evening more delightful since the weather was hot and humid in July we enjoy every movement in the pool with mouthwatering snack served at the pool side during evening which was personally supervised by Mr. Lokesh finally at Rajsi Bhoj Restaurant dinner was fabulous with very reasonable price we Appreciate Mr. Nafees and his team for excellent service offered we would like to stay more but my trip to Jhansi was very short but it was worthy to be there at Raj Mahal Orchha. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Room # 117, 211, 218
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Worst guy at the reception Mr Devender Singh. V wre 2 couples went to the hotel to have fun. I called up the hotel to book the room n it was all done. Bt when v reachd the hotel v wre told that v have to take separate rooms for all. When I explained to the receptionist dat I had done booking on ph he told me dat sm other new guy must have picked up the phone n he doesent the hotel rules n his booking is useless. V had an arguement n finally dcided to leave the hotel until my frd got the contact of one of the owners of the hotel. V directly talked to manager who helped us check in with all formalities. Bt our fun was ruined by this receptionist Mr Devender Singh. Or else the hotel would definitely have got sm gud rating from me.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mudit v
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were on a Trip to Jhansi and happened to stay in the Hotel Raj Mahal Orchha from February 13th till 17 Feb 2014 it seems a new property started recently but our experience was as if we were staying in a real Palace made by Maharajas.
Raj Mahal Hotel is an example of luxury and comfort as Rooms are very spacious with all modern facilities and amenities. besides the hotel is surrounded with lush greenery everywhere an absolutely pollution free environment as a river is also flowing right next to the hotel which is good for birds watching as different kind of birds are visible along the riverside.
The Hotel has a beautiful Restaurant called Rajsi Bhoj and the food was very delicious and mouthwatering also the service was excellent the Hotel staff was very helpful, supportive and well trained one can experience a personalize service while staying in Raj Mahal Orchha.
I recommend anyone wants to spend some quality time can check this hotel out they will not regret and may enjoy staying there like ourselves.

Room Tip: Room #117 is very good and spacious
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sami297586
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Raj Mahal Hotel is finest property in orchha. i was stay in Raj Mahal Hotel with my family for two days. Room very good , Food Is Excellent and staff behavior was very nice. they realty provide good Hospitality

Room Tip: Suite and Super Delux
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank raj715
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A month ago, I stayed in your suite room, it was fabulous and i was full of leisure.
the Jacuzzi in the suite room was awesome and the steam bath shower tower was best to have steam bath.
i concluded my stay with lots of enjoy and comfort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M0nty112
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orchha
Amar Mahal Orchha
#1 of 14 in Jhansi
Hotel Sunrise
Hotel Sunrise
#8 of 9 in Orchha

Been to Raj Mahal The Palace? Share your experiences!