“A GOOD EXPERIENCE (AND VERY DIFFERENT)”
Review of Shannu's Ranch Inn

Shannu's Ranch Inn
Ranked #39 of 81 Pushkar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Inexpensive rustic cottage-style accommodation which was more comfortable than expected. Enjoyable outdoor home-cooked dinner is offered by Marc and his wife after which you can sit and have friendly chat by a small bonfire. Be prepared to hear the occasional barking dog during the night and the early-morning chanting from the nearby temple... after all, this is India!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shannu's Ranch Inn

Reviewed 7 March 2012

My partner was very sceptical about my choice of accommodation at Shannu's ranch in Pushkar. However on arrival, Marc made us feel very welcome and we felt very relaxed. A very pleasant feeling after the hustle and bustle of Jaipur. We immediately felt at home relaxing with welcome drinks in the yard and Marc invited us to share in the evening meals outside with himself other guests. Despite Pushkar being an alcohol free zone, Marc was happy to share beer with us too. He was very friendly and gave us plenty of information about everything.
The hut was comfortable enough but we did have some issues with water in the bathroom at times. Bathroom could have been cleaner but at the end of the day you are staying on a ranch (I wouldn't call it a hotel) and it only costs 700 rupees a night. No towels were provided but were given out on request.
We did hear some noise in the night. There was a lot of drumming/music for a relatvely short time at dawn (4.30am) but this is fairly common in India (to welcome the dawn!) Also dogs barking etc. However we did get 2 nights' good sleep so no complaints.
I was a bit concerned to have Marc's alsatian dogs running up and barking at us when we arrived back on 2nd evening, but they were harmless. These dogs had been tied up during the day. As an animal lover I had been a bit concerned about this, but they all seemed very happy sleeping under the trees by day and were well looked after as were the lovely horses.
I'd have liked to have seen the horses taken out but made do with admiring them from a distance.
All in all, a welcome alternative to hotels, with more of a relaxed atmosphere staying on a ranch. Ideal for the kind of traveller that Pushkar attracts but not if you want all mod cons. Would have been nice to hang out there for a few days. I would definitely stay there again and perhaps arrange horse riding next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

At Shannus Inn, you can almost feel that you are part of the lovely family that owned this charming b&b. The place is quiet and very pleasant and downtow is not too far! We had the familly room and it was perfectly clean and spacious, with some cute geckos! We are french canadien too, and it was a pleasure to meet with Jean-Marc who live there for more than 20 years. We stayed 2 nights, have great talk with the him, he was really friendly and had many stories to tell! And the food... It was the best food we have on our travel, just amazing! And the breakfest pancake with homemade marmalade was delicious! We recommend this place to anyone who prefer a more authentic and personal experience! Thank you to all the family!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2011

on our tour around rajasthan we found a nice hotel which has
beautiful; marwadi horses.being an hotel as well as a riding school
owned by a french canadian married with an indian lady;.we stayed
2nights there.we ate fantastic indian home made food.the best we had
on our travel in india.the owner mark been very helpful in suggesting
places to go and so on.we felt like home.his rooms are very spacious
very stylish,clean.mark has been staying in pushkar since 25 years
we had 2 meals and breakfast with him.we became good friends.
his horses are very well trained.we recommend the shannu's ranch inn definitely
best home feeling hotel we crossed on our tour

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jully79
Reviewed 13 January 2011

yes - I am surprised about all these reviews here. We stayed for a week with Marc and his lovely family. Not only that everybody was helpfull and friendly, but we would be sitting together half night talking and enjoying some beers together. Marcs wife cooks wonderful food and his daughter has been great help to us planing and arranging train tickets.
The price for accomodation was as well within our expectations
We didn't find any rats here but horses, some friendly dogs, some geccos in the room...that's it. Anyway there are rats in india and can be everywhere......even here - this is NORMAL. The showers aren't like the one at home (Switzerland), but we had water, also hot water at any time.....only the tank has to be refilled sometimes.

bed covers were clean and neat.

All in all.....we had a great time and I will return to this amazing place. Marc and his family have become friends to us during the view days we were able to share the same roof.....thanks Marc ! P.S. The place is very quite and not so buzy like downtown.

Again we fully enjoyed our stay due to the warm heart and help of the family.....

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lokankara
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Unless Jean-Marc and his family are very cool, the place is very noisy, not comfortable and the price is not justified.
The rooms are very humid, there is just a little water in the shower and not so warm.
There is an Ashram just near this place so that from 4:30 am until late in the evening, the noise is awful and just impossible to sleep quietly

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We've stayed at Shannus for 2 nights during the camel fair. We had booked for 6 nights. It turned out we had rats living in our roof made of hay (inside). Jean-Marc, the owner, a french canadian, gave me a trap to catch watherver was living in our roof. We caugh a big rat in the trap and there were still others making noise on top of our head and leaving dropings inside the room.

My husband and I had travelled a lot before, in India and other countrys, but never had any rats living in our room. We were traveling with my 3 year old son. After the second night, I said to the owner that I couldn't live there anymore and that I would like to have a refund for the 4 other nights I had already booked and paid for with Western Union. He never gave us any refund and said that we could catch them all! He said it was India, a ranch and not a proper accomodation. We had paid 3500 roupis a night (about 80$US) for an unproper accomodation. I tought this was not acceptable. We left and lost our money.

On top of it, the toilet was leaking. It is not a peaceful location, as there's a Hindu tower very near shouting from 4 am. Add the watchdog dogs barking at night and my rats moving in the hay roof on top of our heads.

Some other woman had water leaking on her bed, after rainning. No refund or discount there either. She was complaining at this at the same time I was with my rats. She didn't get any simpathy from him either. We both felt like he tought those were our problems.

I don't recommend this place at all. There's plenty of accomodation in Pushkar. Evennduring the Camel Fair, don't book ahead onless you're absolutely certain it's a nice place. .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family