“A place to avoid if you need calm and a minimum of comfort”
Review of Shannu's Ranch Inn

Shannu's Ranch Inn
Ranked #39 of 79 Pushkar B&B and Inns
Magny-les-Hameaux, France
“A place to avoid if you need calm and a minimum of comfort”
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Unless Jean-Marc and his family are very cool, the place is very noisy, not comfortable and the price is not justified.
The rooms are very humid, there is just a little water in the shower and not so warm.
There is an Ashram just near this place so that from 4:30 am until late in the evening, the noise is awful and just impossible to sleep quietly

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
montreal
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We've stayed at Shannus for 2 nights during the camel fair. We had booked for 6 nights. It turned out we had rats living in our roof made of hay (inside). Jean-Marc, the owner, a french canadian, gave me a trap to catch watherver was living in our roof. We caugh a big rat in the trap and there were still others making noise on top of our head and leaving dropings inside the room.

My husband and I had travelled a lot before, in India and other countrys, but never had any rats living in our room. We were traveling with my 3 year old son. After the second night, I said to the owner that I couldn't live there anymore and that I would like to have a refund for the 4 other nights I had already booked and paid for with Western Union. He never gave us any refund and said that we could catch them all! He said it was India, a ranch and not a proper accomodation. We had paid 3500 roupis a night (about 80$US) for an unproper accomodation. I tought this was not acceptable. We left and lost our money.

On top of it, the toilet was leaking. It is not a peaceful location, as there's a Hindu tower very near shouting from 4 am. Add the watchdog dogs barking at night and my rats moving in the hay roof on top of our heads.

Some other woman had water leaking on her bed, after rainning. No refund or discount there either. She was complaining at this at the same time I was with my rats. She didn't get any simpathy from him either. We both felt like he tought those were our problems.

I don't recommend this place at all. There's plenty of accomodation in Pushkar. Evennduring the Camel Fair, don't book ahead onless you're absolutely certain it's a nice place. .

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Not the cleanest places we stayed in, but the family who run it were lovely. They made the best banana pancakes and had great brown bread for breakfast (the only we found in Rajasthan!) Dinner was eaten with the family out under the stars and was an all-you-can-eat extravaganza. However, due to the camel fair, the loud speaker was going all night in the mosque nearby, which meant that we got no sleep at all, but it's still in a great location for the camel fair, as it's slightly off the main thoroughfare.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Panchgani, India
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We had a lovely surprise to find Shannu's Inn and meet Jen-Marc and his family, stay in colourful, clean rooms, eat fantastic home cooked meals and enjoy the sights of Pushkar just a walk away. Our kids just loved the horse riding too! We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank megandre
tel aviv
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Shannus is a special place, and is not for everyone.
It`s very peaceful, ran by a family (husband originally French Canadian), and they make your stay feel just like home.
The family house located across the big green garden and is open for guests, every night everyone dines together and "talks about life" occur under a star lit desert night.
If you are looking for a spiritual experience, very personal hospitality and possibly horse riding adventures around the desert- make this your country home. It`s a small boutique with only a couple of very nice rooms, so reservations are very recommended.
Was my favorite part of a 3 month trip to the sub continent, thanks to a wonderful garden and amazing personal hospitality by Mark Gopal, the owner, and the rest of the family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank browseupchief
Kerrry
Reviewed 4 May 2010

When I found this place on the internet I was really looking forward to spending time on a ranch with Mewar horses, at the same time visiting the annual Pushkar Camel Fair. The reality was very different - entry from a dusty road through a gate into a narrow long back garden with a few stalls to one side housing three horses (one of whom a stallion never seemed to get out as he was too spirited and was very obviously miserable, a cage full of Schitzu dogs and three Alsations tied to various trees. Apparently the owner was using them for breeding.The owner Mark showed us to what he said was the deluxe cottage - I had paid in advance by Western Union - had I not, we would have left then and there. The cottage was filthy, the bathroom sink and toilet had not been cleaned in some time, the bedding was dusty. Not his fault but adding to our misery was the constant loudspeaker chanting at full volume from a nearby mosque which kept us wide awake four nights running. We saw other potential guests/victims arrive and leave very quickly (obviously hadnt paid in advance)!" The next day, Mark tried to get more money out of me saying that this "deluxe cottage" cost more than I had paid. One look from me stopped that going any further! Despite this, we made the best of our stay and loved the camel fair. Dont stay here unless you have to

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends