“A wedding anniversary to remember”

Hotel Alianthos Garden
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Plakias
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My wife and I arrived to Alianthos Garden on Sunday Sept 2nd just after midday. It was about a 90 minute drive from Chania Int'l Airport (CHQ). We were amazed with the property as we were driving up the main road. Beautiful beaches, quiet and peaceful surroundings. We checked in promptly and were given a room, not exactly the view we were hoping, we were staring at a powerline transformer. Someone has to have the view I guess, we were just hoping it was not going to be us. We kindly asked the front desk if anything was available but they were fully booked. We came to Plakias for the views and beaches so it was okay with us. I took out my UV Blacklight and checked the sheets as is the normal for me. The entire room was spotless, the linens were fresh and clean, the bathroom was spotless and smelled beautiful without the use of fresheners, you can just tell that it was tended to properly. The breakfast the following morning was great, eggs, fruits, coffee, juices and cold cuts. We went on our trek around the city to check out what were in store for. Upon returning to the hotel we were notified that another guest had checked out and they could relocate us to another room with a better view. We gathered our things and headed off to the other building. I once again checked everything with my UV blacklight and guess what... we were astonished with the cleanliness of this room as well. The management has a high standard for their housekeeping service and this was proof positive of the hard work that Alianthos Garden strives to prove, you can also take note of the countless certifications they have received in past years right on the main column in the reception area. Have you slept on a CoCo-Mat mattress before? It was amazing, it was like a custom built cloud made to order for my sensitive back. It cradles you all night and there are 6 pillows to choose from in the room. All rooms have this as standard. Had a fridge (make sure to crank it up when you get in there otherwise you will wake up to warm water in there.

The front desk and kitchen staff were exemplary and very conversational, always ready to help out the travelers get to where they need to go, we heard Dutch, German, French, Italian around us. The typical age of the hotel guest seemed to be pensioners on vacation but where was a small percentage of younger couples such as ourselves. We didn't use the pool so I cannot comment on it, how could we, when you have the beautiful sea not even 2 minutes away from the front doors. If you are looking for a great cocktail head to Gialos and Irene will take care of you...Probably the best Long Island Ice Tea I have ever had. Bounce over to Gio-Ma a little further down and be sure to try the fresh Calamari and the Dolmades. We had to go back twice and fill up on both of those delicious dishes. We were sad to go but we will definitely be returning.

I would honestly say that the only upgrade I would perform in the rooms is the bathroom shower/tub. Maybe place a glass enclosure instead of a drape. Instead of the "telephone" maybe install a body shower unit that has four different heads hitting your body. It is not a deal breaker but maybe with time there might be room for this in the hotel budget.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different buildings, there is no noise any time of the day. No noisy mopeds going b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pyper70

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We only stayed here one night while travelling round but I have to say it ticked all the right boxes. Immaculately clean rooms, very friendly staff, good buffet breakfast included in the room price. The pool area was clean and attractive, though you can't swim until 10 am when breakfast finishes (I would have liked an early morning swim). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie_in_Chania
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We spent a 10-day family holiday in the hotel. Generally, we were really satisfied - a cosy, modern, middle-sized hotel with family atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, comfortably furnished rooms, clean swimming pool. Also the food was all right, generous buffet for breakfast and dinner, including fresh fruit and vegetables. We were lucky to be alocated the rooms overlooking a palm garden, so had privacy and peace and quiet. However, if you have bad luck, you might get a room with a view of a dusty road which is frequented by holidaymakers and also cars, so you´d better ask about that. Otherwise, I can recommend the Alianthos for a pleasant family holiday. BTW, if not happy about lying on the beach for too long, you may do some exploring - lots of interesting destinations for a one-day trip there.

Room Tip: We were staying in numbers 4 and 6 on the ground floor - firstly I found them a bit dark but later o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jana J
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The hotel itslef was nicer than the others in Plakias. The rooms were basic but the beds were comfortable. Shower was ok, could have been better. Breakfast was decent, many choices, good yogurt, fruit etc. We did not enjoy the dinners, too much basic buffet food, was plentiful but not great quality. Hotel staff was nice and helpful, spoke good english. Pool area was nice. Was very windy in Plakias the entire 3 days we were there so we couldnt enjoy the beach at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor facing the sea and not overlooking the parking lot
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MicheleG0ld
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This being my very first time visiting Greece, I was very excited (despite the current Euro crisis). After hours being lost on the mountains, my parents and I were eventually shown the correct route and booked immediately into the Alianthos Gadren Hotel.
My father sorted out the room including breakfast and dinner (on a special offer at that time, considering we left just off peak season). The room was comfortable and immaculately clean, complete with a satellite TV (although unfortunately the only English channel was World News), spacious wardrobes and, of course, the vital air conditioning! Plus a bathroom fitted with a roomy bath and shower attatchment.
There were blackout curtains on the window, so the bright Cretan sun will surely not wake you.
The beds were comfortable, if only slightly cramped (one double and a single).
Breakfast was a lovely continental, cateering to all tourists (most of whom were German at the time of my visit) and dinner was a buffet with a different menu each day.
There is a big outdoor pool and free internet access near to reception.
The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and made my first experience of the Greek culture very positive.
I would definitely recommend a visit to the Alianthos Garden Hotel, especially for those of you who enjoy a slightly quieter and more relaxing holiday (it is set in a somewhat sleepier Cretan town).
Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GoLexi
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel was recommended by a friend of a friend.

Photos and reviews were encouraging so we booked 3 nights in July for me and a friend

The hotel is pleasantly decorated in main areas and the rooms are comfortable if small - size though is not a problem if you are going to be outside most of the time. Ours had perfect view on pool and towards the sea and came with a little balcony.
Bathroom was good apart from the shower curtain rail that spread like a fan and didn't really do a very good job resulting in flooded bathroom with each shower till I managed to perfect the technique.

Air conditioning works only with balcony door closed - fair enough but with no ventilation there was a bit of a musty smell in the bathroom. It got much better with balcony door open, but it was a trade-off with the temperature comfort.

On the whole the rooms, and the whole hotel were very clean.

The pool looked nice but was only 'open' from 10 am till 7 pm- I was disappointed as fancied a swim before breakfast, and during the opening hours I much prefered to be swimming in the beautiful sea.

Breakfast was good, with a nice choice to accommodate for many preferences. i always went for feta cheese with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers- they taste delicious. Good coffee. We didn't stay for dinner ( went toTaverna Manousos) but it looked and smelled delicious.

The staff were really great and friendly, Helpful with all requests, all possible travellers' needs anticipated and accommodated - not only can you leave your bags after checkout in a locker, but you can also use the shower in the specially designated area before getting on your way.
Email communication before booking, arranging of taxi transfers was all great.

The location is great, just a few steps from the beach, but I recommend walking along the beach to the left where people are sparse and beach becomes sandy.

On the whole I would recommend the stay in Alianthos Garden and would like to come back.

Room Tip: Room with a pool/sea view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Goji R
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed at the Alianthos at the end of June 2012.Hotel very pleasant,staff could not be more helpful and obliging.Room spotless and beds very comfy and hotel pool lovely position.Car Hire from Auto Prevelli excellent ,collected from the Airport which made the journey stress free.Plakias lovely little resort for a quiet ,chilled holiday,plenty of bars and waterside tavernas to choose from. Several nice beaches nearby ,only a short drive or an enthusiastic walk.Buffet meals excellent value for money.Would definitely go again an excellent well run hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple