“Came back.”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Plakias
London
“Came back.”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Yes we came back.This time we stayed in there other hotel sofia,which is not far from costas & Chrysoula,Was sad we dident get to stay in costas, But hotel sofia,was very clean and modern.the room was clean and plenty of room,i slept on the camp bed has there was 3 of use,very comfee.We had breckfast in the morning nice choice of food,clean and covered up.staff very friendley has norm.The weather wasent to kind to use has it was very windy but hot,We still went to costas for the swiming pool and had drinks at the bar ,snacks in costas to,It was nice to see them all again.I went with my sistert and my daughter again.My sister and i had a small accident.takeing a short cut across to hotel sofia,it was very dark and windy.late at night,my sister fell down a step and i fell on top of her,she graced her knee and hand.I hit my head ,we made it back to how room.my head had a lump on it size of a egg,and sister knee was hurting.she did get a infection in it few days later,so we went to the chemist around the corner ,which opened sunday evenings.lady was very nice and gave her a spri to use.2 days before i came home my eye started to go black,i have still got that black eye.just waiting for it to go,be 2 weeks now,Costas wanted to move use into costas hotel .but has we only had 2 days left ,dident seem worth it all that packing again.I did alot of walking with my daughter ,has my sister couldent do it with her knee,the beach bar is very nice.and places to eat.was so nice to see all the old faces again.My sister is comeing back to plakias in sept for 2 weeks with her husband.lucky thing wish it was me.never know we mite be back soon ...If you looking for a nice quite holiday,and dont mind ppl comeing in late some times,then this is the place for you,there all very friendley and help full .just have to ask.......and one last thing,angelo make grait hot chocolate.mmmm

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank happyhippygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
manchester uk
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My wife and i stayed here for 10 days and thought the hotel was perfect, quite simple and very clean and the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Snacks were served around the pool at lunchtime which were really good and reasonably priced.
The rooms were good and had a fridge, kettle etc. The hotel was in a quiet area of Plakias about 100metres from the centre and the beach. Will definately return here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keith2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My Girlfriend & I are in our fifties (just) & Love Greece.
I worked in Halkidiki back in the 80's but can't usually get away now until October time due to my work.
We tried Crete Oct 2008 & made the mistake of booking a week away in a northern resort,which was not for us, ie paying to get onto a beach with thumping bass music playing all day & quad bikes everywhere,great if you want it of course.
on Holiday we like peace & quiet.
We got a car for the rest of the week & had a nice time anyway.

2010 we thought we'd give Plakias a shot so with an open mind we picked Costas Chrysoula.
We endured a 3 hour (plus) coach ride with no toilets (due to them being locked) & as we dropped people off along the way,we were left with about 12 of us all heading for Plakias.
We drove through the gorge,which was amazing & from there on in it was like going back to the Greece that I remembered from the 80's & memories of our previous trip to the North of Crete quickly evaporated,it's worth the drive.
We were dropped off in the square,left our luggage on the road & walked with the Rep up a little back street, through,what I thought was a back entrance, passed the little pool & straight into the bar.
Well,we were hooked from there on in,a free drink & a chat with the others from the coach,all of whom have been staying there for years.
The Staff are all pleasant & are all proud of their little Family run Hotel.
The Rooms are clean & basic,which is all that we need,this is not 5 star & doesn't pretend to be.
The pool is a nice sun trap & also a shelter from the wind on certain days.
The bar serves a good value breakfast & snacks the rest of the time.
The Town is lovely with countless Tavernas producing fresh local food for a very reasonable price.
The beach is clean & sandy with the Nudist part at the far end a 10 minute walk away.
We are not usually package holiday people & like to explore in a car but we were so relaxed & happy that we didn't actually go out of the village until we were on the coach going home!.
I wouldn't recommend Plakias or the Hotel to all of my friends as everyone has different expectations from their holiday but..
If you don't want to spend a lot of money.
Are happy with basic,clean accommodation, with Staff who are always happy to help & seem to care.
If you like to walk & sit on the beach & enjoy watching the most beautiful sun sets over a nice drink or two (in October anyway,it sets at 7pm)
If you enjoy finding a place to eat or drink & talk to the local people.
If you want to go to bed at 9pm or like us 2am.
Then this is worth considering.
We plan to return 2011 in October for another lovely relaxing week in the late Summer sunshine.
I hope that this helps..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Trevor5813
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Flew out of Humberside at 9 pm and it was 7 am the next day, when I arrived at the complex. The coach from the airport can take up to 3 hours so be warned it takes a long time to get to the apartments.
As for the place itself, the apartments are basic but very clean, everything worked and the staff are great. Angelo the barman speaks really good English and is a local so if you need anything he will sort it for you. He is a nice bloke too always laughing and trying to make your holiday special.
As for the resort it’s small but has everything you will need. There are a few bars and restaurants. A nice beach and even a bit where if you want you can go naked (be careful tho, its hot and the mozzies are out to get you).
It’s not a cheap holiday place a large beer will cost you €3, a meal for two with a couple of large beers will be about €25, two sun beds and a parasol on the beach is €5. There are lots of supermarkets that sell everything you could ever need and a large beer from the supermarket is about €1 and bread is about €1.20
We had a really good holiday APART from the travelling which to be honest is bad (three and a half hours cramped on a jet then three hours on a coach with all the others bits in-between).
If you are going you will have a great time after the trip to get there and the one to come home. The pace is so slow and relaxed it’s hard not to unwind. The people are friendly and it was great to mix with our southern cousins. North south divide Wot north south divide?

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mwwilky
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We booked a bargain deal to these apartments a week before going as due to illness I was sorely in need of a bit of r&r. I had looked into Plakias a few years ago as a destination but my then partner would not entertain the thought of it as the transfer time is so long - well he missed out on a treat! Yes the coach transfer is long especially dropping off en-route via Rethymon and Bali etc but as it was daytime it was good to enjoy the scenery, the drive through the gorge was breathtaking. We were met in resort by the Olympic rep - Ian who walked the last 100m to the complex with us where we were greeted with a drink by the 2 Kosta's who then showed us to our rooms. The rooms were basic but I didn't expect anything more and as they were spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable and there was a fridge and a kettle, what more do you need?
The resort itself was perfect for us, lots of good travernas and restaurants and kebab places which are excellent value and a chance to mingle with the locals. We did not have a bad meal the whole time we were there and we were pleasantly surprised with the amount of traditional home cooked food on offer - makes a change from mass produced 'moussaka' and chips with everything! The best taverna we found was Manoussos - up the main street and turn left, it's tucked away but is a real gem, excellent food and a family running it who were so friendly and welcoming. The only bars we didn't like were the newer 'modern' places which look a bit out of place really and are very expensive.
The beach is gorgeous, the further towards the nudist beach you get the sandier it gets and as it was the first week of the season many people were nude before that section of the beach - it didn't bother us as we happily joined in but there was plenty of room so that if you didn't like it you didn't have to see it! A couple of days were really windy and so the sea was quite choppy but part from them the sea was very calm and turquoise.
We walked to Souda bay - approx 2 km and a bit hilly but the views were stunning, there were 2 tavernas there - 1 ridiculously expensive and the other only had 4 dishes available -- but as I said it was the first week of the season.
We didn't do much else - just had a beach holiday but I can honestly say it was the best holiday I have had - I go to Greece usually twice a year and am definitely a convert to Plakias, I would love to go again but for longer and hire a car and explore the island a bit.
The apartments were fine and I would recommend them to couples, not necessarily families with children as the pool would not really suit and the complex is quite small. everyone was friendly and welcoming and we had no problems to report. Ian the Olympic rep was a gem, not pushy but available should you need him - we didn't as we are quite happy to go with the flow but be assured that he could deal with any crisis in a friendly competant manner.
I would definitely go back again and again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Laura H
bangor
Reviewed 29 May 2010

When we first visited Costas & Chryssoula we arrived in the early hours of the morning (around 03.30 as far as I recall) and the place was totally dead. We explored and found a room with a key in the door, so plonked ourselves inside, reckoning that we would sort it out in the morning. Next morning we went to the bar for breakfast, and the friendly and helpful Maria assured us that we could stay in our selected room, as this was the one allocated to us, and the Olympic rep should have given us that info the previous night at the airport. We soon wound down to the Plakias pace of life and had such a great holiday that we've been back once (at Costas & Chryssoula as it is so friendly and central), and plan to return again. And again! When you weigh - up the basic facilities on the site, these are more than balanced by the friendliness of the staff, Maria, Angelo, and both Costas (cousins I believe), the tranquility of the place, and the location. (OK, it is in a little backstreet, but the marvellous beach is easily accessible via a little alleyway if you don't want to walk along a street.) There are mini-markets nearby for all your needs. And Angelo will be happy to keep serving drinks to you at the bar til about 01.00. He'll also cheerfully make you a toastie if you're peckish. Loads of great tavernas nearby. Try those which are away from the seafront, those onthe first road/street inland are excellent, and better value. One of them serves home-made moussaka - to die for! Nothing much else to do in Plakias at night, except eat and drink, or visit and re-visit some of the souvenir shops, some tackier than others. All in all, a super holiday destination if you want to wind down and stay wound down, and can put up with tyupically Greek basic amenities. Well worth the 2hours + from Heraklion airport.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim C
London
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I hav e been plakias 6 times.eather with my sister or daughter or both.and i have found it very nice,always come bk,love it weather nice.staff nice.friendly.ok we had someone complain about noise.but u on holiday.But when we told owner he was fine with it,Will not put use off comeing back.My sister had been comeing here sins there was no swiming pool Long time her and her husband,to me i look forward every time i come.Can not wait to come bk.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business