“Back again”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Plakias
Newport, United Kingdom
“Back again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Well, another week spend at Costas, July 2014, and again it was very enjoyable. Friendly people, the rooms kept clean, sheets and towels changed regularly and a relaxed atmosphere all round.
I must say, as before, the self catering element leaves a lot to be desired BUT as you can have breakfast at Costas and meals are reasonable priced out and about there is no real need. If you want "proper" self catering go elsewhere. I like to make my own breakfast and a simple salad lunch so I coped with what was on offer to use.
Everything else was great. The rep Les and Angelo the barman make a great entertainment team, worth it just to go to see them!
The pool although small is kept to the highest standard which for me is a must.
Plakias is still a nice resort, everyone is friendly and the Taverna Gorgona (which is their restaurant) does nice meals and again, a friendly welcome is made of you on each visit.
Relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable for a realistically good price. Will be returning at some point, like many many others do each year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank 815chillilover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reykjavik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Me & my fiancé stayed at Kostas Chrysoulla apts in July 2014 for two weeks. This was our first time in Crete and we can defiantly recommend this place. We arrived to Plakias around 9 o'clock in the evening and Angelo the bartender welcomed us with some free drinks.

We stayed in room nr. 19 which was on second floor and we had some view over the nearby mountains which was lovely. Also that room had the morning sun on the balconies so we enjoyed our breakfast/lunch out there.

The room was well equipped with everything we needed (pan, pot, kettle, coffee funnel, Greek coffee pot, plates, bowls, grinder, cutlery, can opener, sharp knife, glasses and ice-maker) except for a bottle opener, but luckily we had one with us. But I bet if you would just ask at the bar they would have given us one for the room. There were two cooking rings but only one for the pot or the pan, the other one was small that seemed to fit the Greek coffee pot.
We usually cooked breakfast/lunch and made coffee in the morning in the room but we went out for dinner every night since it's very cheap to go out there and we wanted to enjoy our nights out instead of staying in and do the cooking.

The room itself kind of reminded me on my studio apartment in Denmark while I was studying there, it was big enough to survive in!, but this one had a flat screen TV with many channels to choose from! (I come from Iceland and here we don't have that many channels so many is more then 5...) :)

The staff was very friendly and the bartender was a lot of fun. I recommend you ask for a White lady cocktail at the bar when Angelo is there :)

The pool area was rather small but big enough to enjoy the day there and there were always some free sunbeds. Also they had free wifi at the pool area which was very nice.

The family that runs this place have also a restaurant in the nearby street which is called Taverna Gorgona. They hand out business cards from this restaurant and all guests have 10% discount when they have that card with them to the restaurant. And they're restaurant is lovely as well. If you like pasta and creamy dishes I recommend the spaghetti carbonara.. that was amazing, one of the best I've ever tasted and I usually don't like pasta that much.

This hotel is very close to everything, not that Plakias is such a big place but it takes less then a minute to walk to the main street with most of the restaurants and the beach.
I have to admit though when we first arrived it was getting dark outside and the walkway to the hotel from the bus stop looked pretty weird at first, seemed like we were walking through someone's garden's path. Also the hotel doesn´t have a very big hotel-sign, so that's probably one of the things they should update.

But all in all, a very pleasant stay and I send my best to all the hotel staff for making our holiday so lovely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jonadogg
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

well yet another 2 weeks stay at costa an chrysoula , enjoyed it as much as we did last year , great people , great atmosphere , angelos is a star, les the rep is BRILLIANT , sylvia the cleaner came in everyday even if it was just to empty bins , had clean bedding 4 times over 2 weeks. cant wait till next year to return for 3rd time

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank rich_taylor39
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back after 2weeks at Kosta and Chrissoula in Plakias, had a great time, excellent location for the beach, tavernas,
We went self catering the equipment supplied was very basics, I had seen other reviews so I took a small knife, there was no way of cutting a baguette or bread with a dinner knife, we were not supplied with a kettle but I had taken my own anyway. The hotel was very clean the towels and bedding changed regularly, you will need the air conditioning at 5 euros a night well worth it, a safe is 10 euros a week. The transfer from the airport can range from 1 hour 20 minutes in a car, up to 3 hours in a coach with drop off points on the way. Plakias is un soiled Greece no night clubs as such, when all the restaurants close all the waiting staff meet and listen to music on the seafront bars.
Now the Olympic rep Les, what a bloke the best holiday rep we have ever had even on his day off always willing to help, when in the bars or tavernas he will always come over to say hello ensuring your holiday goes well. During our holiday we even did meet Rich and Paul who had previously had a holiday at the hotel and left a review on trip advisor. The barman Angelo is a great guy always creaking a joke.
Would definitely go back a great 2 weeks chilling holiday, we also hired a car for 3days to explore more of the island, would recommend the military museum at Rethermon only 1 euro 50 the war memorial at Chania what an amazing place at Sudra bay.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, all low rise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 123travellers
Glynneath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was an excellent choice for our first visit to Plakias.
Rooms were typically Greek but entirely adequate for our needs.
It was a family run unit - a lovely, friendly family. Any request was dealt with immediately { eg extra pillows }.
We spent the first couple of days by the pool because of the strong winds. The pool is small meaning there are a limited number of sunbeds. This proved no problem at all in May but I would presume may cause sprobome lems in high season. Breakfast/light meals/snacks were available at reasonable prices.
The situation is excellent - one minute`s walk to the main tavernas an d the seafront { through a fisherman`s alley ! }
We thoroughy enjoyed our stay and look forward to our next visit.
We travelled with Olympic Holidays. I must say that we are well seasoned travellers and I must mention our rep Les who was probably the the best we`ve ever had !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neatha
Suldal, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel in Sept 2013, and liked both the town of Plakias and the hotel so much that we chose the same place for our May vacation this year too, and stayed for two new weeks. And we were not disappointed! We were received in a very friendly way, the room, the breakfast and everything else was close to perfect. An e-mail asking for the same corner room as last time, was promptly answered, and we got our "old" room.
Since I had some problems with my feet, the rating of hotel location is better this time, you can't get closer to "everything" in Plakias, and some times that is much more important than the view.

So beware: We may be back before you know it, Costas and Chrysoula!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JooohnS
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Very very friendly family run apartments. Our third holiday at costas chrysoulia. Everything was fantastic except costas is not updating basic facilities to improve standards. These issues were....
Not enough umbrellas it can be very hot.
Basic crockery is bad no two things matching.
TV so old don't work.
Towels had seen better days!!!!!
That said it is just a place to sleep. We had a lovely breakfast each day and did not use much facilities. But to improve these small areas would make it perfect here. Plakias is my favourite holiday resort. Costas and chrysoulia are the perfect hosts. They will do anything for you. We will be back for no.4 next year.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends